TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Strength of the SEC?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strength of the SEC?
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-26-2017 05:54 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The SEC has not been that good as a conference, top to bottom.

My favorite era was when Nolan Richardson had the Hogs playing 40 minutes of hell.

Not sure about the rest of the fan base, but I liked it better when I wasn’t sure if they could win the league. Then, if they did, you knew they earned it

Nowadays, it seems they just don’t have top notch competition in the Sec. It seems like a race for 2 nd place

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 10-28-2017 08:22 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In he 80s, you had Wimp Sanderson bringing some good 'Bama teams to play, you had some great Auburn teams with Barkley and Chuck "The Rifelman" Person, you had Dale Brown leading some great LSU teams, you had Tennessee routinely beating us and invoking that God-awful "Rocky Top" song over and over... Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of hell came a little later, as did the rise of Florida as a powerhouse. IMO, the 80's were the pinnacle of SEC basketball. Later, when Florida won back-to-back championships in the early '00s, we saw another notch upwards, with South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi State offering up some stiff competition.

The SEC will always be a middle-tier basketball league, and why not? The big money is ALWAYS going to be in football, and the league knows that is where its bread is buttered. Even woeful UK's football team brings in more money than its amazingly successful basketball team.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cold Spring Cat
Player
Member # 14751

posted 10-30-2017 12:53 PM      Profile for Cold Spring Cat   Email Cold Spring Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The SEC will be much better this season and could likely get 5 teams in the tournament. UK, Florida, Alabama, Missouri and S. Carolina/Arkansas.

I agree that the conference has been mediocre for years.

Posts: 140 | From: Cold Spring, KY | Registered: Sep 2017  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com