TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » UK encourages basketball players to speak out on social issues

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK encourages basketball players to speak out on social issues
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-06-2017 06:59 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
people claim Calipari can only recruit and can't coach. You may roll your eyes about the "development of young people" aspect of college athletics (which I agree is often second on the list behind the final score), but Calipari gets this 100 percent correct.

Not only does he tell his guys they can speak their mind (something that could lead to controversial press or distractions for the player and program), he provides the tools to do so productively.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 10-06-2017 11:10 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Coach Cal is no dummy. I like almost everything he does with the players, his focus on making men out of them, his charity work... all good. Politics are questionable.

I just wish he could speak more eloquently. He can't seem to finish a sentence. But I'll still take him over almost any other coach out there.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 10-07-2017 09:17 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I personally think Cal is making a big mistake by this. He will destroy the big blue nation if these players start playing the race card, speaking out in favor of black lives matter etc. He should keep politics and social issues out of the basketball program. Hopefully these young men who have been revered most of their lives for being great athletes, will not go public by taking the knee during the national anthem or becoming political activists. If they do, they could do a lot of damage to the University and our basketball program with the fan base.

It is well known around the state that Cal is a highly liberal democrat politically. I recall a few years ago he was planning on hosting a fund raiser for the democrat running for governor of Ky and apparently UK got him to drop that for fear of aleniating many loyal fans. Sporting venues are proving not to be good places for the kind of open dialogue Cal appears to be telling his players it is ok to be involved in.

[ 10-07-2017, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 10-07-2017 10:46 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SCWC, I completely agree. They are there to play basketball, not solve world problems or correct perceived social injustice. Don't use UK for a platform to publish your personal beliefs.
Posts: 5407 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-07-2017 02:17 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right on basketball is why they are at Kentucky.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 10-07-2017 02:22 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I disagree, vehemently. While I wish they would not buy into the whole BLM protests and all, these are human beings, first and foremost. They happen to play basketball for our university second.

If they want to express their opinion, I think they should. Wisdom would dictate that they refrain, but painful lessons in the consequences of speaking out are part of life. They in NO WAY speak for the university, or for anybody but themselves.

BTW, some of the consequences for speaking out and causing any sort of distraction for the team should be immediate and severe. But, hey, if they want, let them.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 10-07-2017 05:19 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All I've got to say about this is, If they start "taking a knee" during the national anthem and presentation of our flag, I for one. will drop them like a used condom.

I have not watched one NFL game since the first time I saw Colin Kaepernick pull that crap.

[ 10-07-2017, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Old Norm ]

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-08-2017 09:53 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The University of Missouri players and the coach joined the side of BLM, when a thug was killed while attacking a police officer. The ramifications of that alliance has been a dwindling enrollment.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
AshTuckyUKfan
Player
Member # 3065

posted 10-08-2017 03:39 PM      Profile for AshTuckyUKfan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
I disagree, vehemently. While I wish they would not buy into the whole BLM protests and all, these are human beings, first and foremost. They happen to play basketball for our university second.

If they want to express their opinion, I think they should. Wisdom would dictate that they refrain, but painful lessons in the consequences of speaking out are part of life. They in NO WAY speak for the university, or for anybody but themselves.

BTW, some of the consequences for speaking out and causing any sort of distraction for the team should be immediate and severe. But, hey, if they want, let them.

They absolutely speak for the University, the "stage" that they now how is only there because of the University. What they do on their own time is on them, but if they are wearing a UK jersey then they are using the platform provided by the University thus representing it.
Posts: 369 | From: Ashland KY | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 10-08-2017 05:30 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boomdaddy, you are right, the University of Missouri are really hurting for freshman enrollment this year. I saw an article that stated they were down 36 percent in incoming freshman and had to lay off some 400 employees for budget purposes. They have been on a downward spiral for two years now and it does not appear to be getting any better for them. These colleges need to stay out of politics and stick to educating their student body.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 10-08-2017 07:58 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The example of the University of Missouri would be an extreme example of what I call the "consequences" of speaking your mind. One of the dualities of our American society is that with freedom comese accountability.

I will say again... these kids are humans first, and basketball players second. While I agree that they should refrain from political/social commentary while wearing the uniform, they are free to say whatever they wish otherwise. But beware the consequences! It is a fragile society that we live in, and institutions like universities are equally fragile.

--------------------
Tiptree

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 10-09-2017 08:45 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think people in the public eye should keep their pieholes shut and do their job. Speaking your mind means your going to make some people happy and piss off the others. Do they really want that? NFL players are losing endorsements by kneeling during the anthem. Just stand there and collect your money - it's that easy.

I heard recently that John Wall spoke out and said that Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady need to speak out on the kneeling issue. But I think Tom and Aaron are both smart - they just keep their mouths shut and don't piss people off. The thing is, they may not agree with Wall on this issue. They're smart enough to know when to speak and when not to speak.

It's quite often that we're lashing out on this site against a sports figure or Hollywood actor/actress for speaking their minds or saying something very stupid. I don't want the same thing happening to our basketball players.

Posts: 10346 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-09-2017 09:51 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Outrageous posts on Facebook and twitter have ramifications, even if you are not famous. Employers will look you up on social media and not hire anyone who is regarded as a loose cannon. People get fired for from professions, even hourly ones, for crazy public comments.

I would think that all athletes at universities get trained on social media, even cheerleaders.

The advice that I give is not to post or email when you are really mad. If you are very emotional, wait a day, calm down, and then make a more rational decision.

I wasn't aware that John Wall was speaking out. Haven't heard his viewpoint. But, he may feel insulated, because he signed that huge contract. If he doesn't care what people think of him or if he pisses off sponsors, he can have a lot more leeway than most. But, no matter how great an athlete is or how much good will they have in the bank of public opinion, it can all close in on them very quick if they do or day something outside the norm.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com