TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Bill Lickert

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bill Lickert
Jarcat
Player
Member # 95

posted 09-13-2017 08:27 PM      Profile for Jarcat   Email Jarcat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just heard the sad news that Billy Ray Lickert passed away this morning after a long battle with cancer.

He was a player at UK in the late 50's. But not only this to me he was a good friend, a neighbor, and a fellow church member.

He had the honor of being the first Kentucky Mr. Basketball to be signed by Adolph Rupp.

--------------------
The truth is out there

Posts: 3014 | From: Lexington, KY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 09-13-2017 08:52 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
jar I remember very well listening to his games with Caywood. But I cant remember, did he go to Lafayette?'

Just saw the full article and he did go to Lafayette and I also remember Jeff Mullins who is fm Ky and maybe he played at Henry Clay at the same time and then to Duke? two good ball players

Prayers to his family!

[ 09-13-2017, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jarcat
Player
Member # 95

posted 09-14-2017 10:16 AM      Profile for Jarcat   Email Jarcat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually Jeff Mullins did play for Lafayette. He was there when I was there in the early 60's. I graduated in '63 and Jeff in '64. My wife graduated from Lafayette also in 64. She had some classes with him but didn't know him very well. She said she only recalls that he was an extremely nice boy and kinda quiet.(I guess she was so infatuated with me she didn't notice other boys... LOL)

--------------------
The truth is out there

Posts: 3014 | From: Lexington, KY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-14-2017 04:56 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lickert played 3 seasons for the Cats and averaged 14.7 points, 7.5 rebounds, shot better than 74% from the line and lead Lexington Lafayette to state title.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 09-15-2017 01:56 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think he graduated from high school in 1957 and was at UK from 58 to 61. I remember him in high school, never played against him but knew he was an outstanding player who was All State in Ky.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 09-15-2017 03:36 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw Lickert play in the championship game in 1957 when Lafayette defeated Eastern when I was a senior at Eastern. He was a great player.
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 09-15-2017 06:39 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Clydeh, I too was at the game, played in Freedom Hall in Louisville back then.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com