TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » What Gabriel will bring to the court

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Gabriel will bring to the court
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-07-2017 01:33 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gabriel is a 6-foot-9, 205-pound power forward who was born in Sudan and played high school basketball in Massachusetts. He was rated the No. 4 power forward and No. 12 overall prospect in the Class of 2016 by Scout.com.

Given the way last season ended, it’s easy to forget that Gabriel is a guy who averaged 22 points, 14 rebounds, 7 blocks and 6.3 assists as a senior in high school. And that he recorded a double-double for the Wildcats in his fifth college game — which began a three-game stretch in which he averaged 11.7 points, 7.6 rebounds and 3.7 assists.

Gabriel will have to fend off a long line of similar-sized forwards: former 5-stars Kevin Knox, Jarred Vanderbilt, P.J. Washington and Sacha Killeya-Jones. But each of those players is versatile enough to play multiple positions — Knox and Vanderbilt at the 3 or 4, Washington and Killeya-Jones at the 4 or 5 — and Gabriel’s energy and experience are too valuable to keep him on the bench.

He should contend for a starting job or, at the very least, be a top reserve who plays heavy minutes. If his 3-point shooting is more consistent this season and he continues to be a shot-blocking threat, that opens up more paths to playing time as Calipari mixes and matches all his talented and “positionless” forwards.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-07-2017 01:57 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember the old '1-4' teams that Lute Olsen at illinois used? One big man and four guards? With the long, lean, agile bigs that we have, we could easily field a '4-1' team...one guard and four awesome forwards.

Imagine.

Diallo or Green at point, along with Knox, Washington, Gabriel, and Vanderbilt (or Jones, or Wynard, or... wow).

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 09-07-2017 02:16 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
only thing i would add tip

there will be no Diallo "and" he will start period!!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-08-2017 07:55 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Ed,

Why no Diallo? I know he is more of a shooting guard, and Green will likely be the point guard, but Diallo by all reports is a sensational athlete (if not a great shot, but we have had plenty of those over the years, from Rondo up through Fox).

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 09-08-2017 09:08 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed.... I'm getting a little 'long of tooth' and not as sharp as I once was, but I don't understand your post at all. Please clarify. Norm

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 09-08-2017 03:22 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think what he is saying is there will be no "Diallo or Green". I WILL be Diallo at some position, even if Green is the PG.
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 09-08-2017 06:27 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Woops Tip and Norm

Tip said Diallo "or" Green and what I was trying to say that there won't be an "or" with Diallo as he will start from day one over anyone else.

Sorry my fingers don't type what my mind is trying to say! lol

tks Bama you said it much better than me! [Smile]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 09-08-2017 06:31 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Got it. Thanks.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com