TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Projecting 2017-2018 starters

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projecting 2017-2018 starters
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-31-2017 12:08 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Most of the sports world is bracing for the start of college football this weekend (after a soft opening last weekend), but fans in Kentucky are also keeping one eye on the clock counting down to basketball season.

It reads: Big Blue Madness in 44 days, home opener at Rupp Arena in 72 days, showdown with Kansas in Chicago in 76 days, Final Four in 212 days.

The first of those milestones will be here in a blink, and everything thereafter will fly by in a blur. John Calipari has his youngest team ever — three sophomores, eight freshmen, zero juniors and seniors — and not much time to get them ready for the coming roller coaster.

What the Wildcats look like on opening night will be quite different than the team Calipari imagines cultivating by March, but he’ll have to start somewhere. So today, as the season hurtles ever closer, we’re predicting the Day 1 rotation and some of the most likely combinations fans will see with this baby-faced yet super-talented team. Here goes:

Starters

PG Quade Green (freshman)

SG Hamidou Diallo (redshirt freshman)

SF Kevin Knox (freshman)

PF P.J. Washington (freshman)

PF Wenyen Gabriel (sophomore)

Second wave:

PG Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (freshman)

SG Jemarl Baker (freshman)

SF Jarred Vanderbilt (freshman)

PF Sacha Killeya-Jones (sophomore)

C Nick Richards (freshman)

Analysis

At this point, it would be a surprise if Green, Diallo, Knox and Washington don’t start. That fifth spot might be up for grabs. Earlier this summer, we projected Killeya-Jones to take that starting job, but Gabriel (who started 23 games as a freshman games before fading in February) apparently had a transformational offseason — both in mind and body — and will make it difficult for Calipari to keep him on the bench.

Furthermore, Calipari and his recent obsession with “positionless” basketball means he won’t hesitate to play without a true 5 man. If he wants one, though, look for the towering freshman Richards (whose game is just beginning to take flight and whose work ethic is already impressing in Lexington) to seize a starting job.

Whatever happens, Kentucky’s top 10 guys will play real minutes —with Baker perhaps getting the fewest if other outside shooters emerge. I doubt Calipari wants to go back to platoons, but he has the horses to do it this season in spurts if the occasion calls for overwhelming an opponent with numbers.

Link

[ 08-31-2017, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Old Norm ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-31-2017 02:30 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't forget Wynyard. He could upset someone's apple cart.
Posts: 14132 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-31-2017 10:23 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I still lean more for Vanderbilt than Washington as the starter. I am guessing there will be a og fight for that position. It was hinted that Cal could have another platoon team at times if he so desires. I went ot Wildcat Warehouse in Lex. today and bought me a new UK T shirt with all 8 championships on it. That could be an oman. The last two times I've done that they have won a championship, 1998 and 2012. I think they win a championship just so my new shirt won't have the current championship on it. I hope they do it again and I'll buy another one. They were on 50% off so it only cost $13.00.
Posts: 14132 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-31-2017 10:59 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama,

All of the Big Blue Nation thank you for your purchase. I am booking my final four travel plans now to celebrate number nine. [Smile]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13600 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 09-01-2017 03:05 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I made plans for new Orleans in 2012 before the season started, I'm doing the same this year. I truly believe this team has everything it takes to win #9.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-01-2017 11:34 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In 54 minutes of Kentucky playing time Tai has scored 11 points, g 5-6 from the field,1-3 from the line and 13 rebounds

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com