TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cats projected starting line-up.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cats projected starting line-up.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-25-2017 11:33 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Having Hamidou Diallo back in the fold at Kentucky means the following things for John Calipari and the Kentucky Wildcats:

•This will be the longest team Cal has had except for the 38-1 team
•Defensively, this should be one of the best in the country
•The athleticism and speed of this team could be on par with last season’s squad
•They are deep enough at the guard position now
• Cameron Johnson as a Wildcat is likely out of the picture
•Instead of two surefire one-and-done talents (Vanderbilt and Knox) there are now three (Diallo)
•By tournament time this team should be primed for a deep run

So what exactly will this team look like as far as size, starting lineup, and the bench? Pretty damn scary if you ask me.

Starting Five:

Point Guard- Quade Green 6-1, 170

Shooting Guard- Hamidou Diallo 6-5, 190

Small Forward- Kevin Knox 6-8, 206

Power Forward- PJ Washington 6-8, 229

Center- Nick Richards 7-0, 239

Bench:

Point Guard- Shai Gilgeous- Alexander 6-6, 175

Shooting Guard- Jemarl Baker 6-4, 185

Small Forward- Jarred Vanderbilt 6-8, 213

Power Forward- Wenyen Gabriel 6-9, 213

Center- Sacha Killeya-Jones 6-10, 230

Center- Tai Wynyard 6-10, 254

Guard- Brad Calipari 6-0, 179

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 05-25-2017 01:24 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I still do not feel we will have a total freshman starting five at the beginning of the season. I feel that Gabriel will be a starter for sure and possibly that Jones will play ahead of Richards. I saw Richards play in a couple of high school games with his team and he still has a ton of basketball to learn. He has only been playing the game for 4 years now, is tall and athletic but I would be very suprised if he is the starting center from day one. I also saw Vanderbilt play in the All Star games and feel that he is more talented than P J Washington so if his foot is ok, he could be a starter from the day one. It is a nice problem to have especially with the stable of quality forwards we will have on the roster next season. My big concern is at the guard positions, if they can measure up to the talent level of the front court, we could be in for a very exciting season.

[ 05-25-2017, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 05-25-2017 03:26 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm with you. SCWC. I think either Killeya-Jones or Gabriel will start early on.
Posts: 10345 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-25-2017 03:49 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It will take Cal a little time to find out just how good his freshmen are and who his starting five will be come SEC time. He has a lot to work with but some freshmen take time to figure out top flight college basketball no matter how talented they are. You can bet by tournament time barring injuries Cal will have this team ready to make a deep run in NCAA tournament.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 05-25-2017 05:19 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One of the good things about Diallo returning is that he will already know Cal's system along with Jones and Gabriel.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-25-2017 06:39 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unless some of the top freshmen really excell they can't all start. My starting five at the beginning, unless they just don't produce in the preseason, would be:

Gabriel
Vanderbilt
Knox
Diallo
Green

next off the bench would be:

Richards
Jones
Washington
Baker
Alexander

We'll have to wait and see how much improvement Wynyard shows. If he has gotten a lot better that could throw a monkey wrench into the whole procedure.

My picks for a slow start would be:

Jones, Wynyard, Baker, Richards, Alexander.

Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 05-25-2017 08:50 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Early starters:

Killeya-Jones (Richards, Wynard)
Gabriel (Washington)
Knox (Vanderbilt; Diallo could play a wing also)
Diallo (Barker)
Green (Gilgeous-Alexander)

I think Jones will come on strong and be our starting center next year, and may be strong enough to hold that honor all season. But both Richards and Killeya-Jones will get better competing against each other, as will Washington/Gabriel and Vanderbilt/Knox. Our second-string guards seem to be a bit of a drop-off from our starters, which is a bit of a worry.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com