TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Ranking Cal's best UK shooting guards

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ranking Cal's best UK shooting guards
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-30-2017 12:05 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Today, we’re going to look at all the starting shooting guards to come through the Calipari Era. Each player has made a unique impact to our teams, which makes ranking them difficult. For this ranking, I will be basing it solely off of college performance. Let’s take a look at who comes in at number seven.

7. Archie Goodwin (2012-2013)

In arguably the most forgettable season we’ve had with Coach Calipari at the helm, Goodwin was somewhat of a bright spot. After losing Nerlens Noel to an ACL injury, Goodwin stepped up. Expectations were high for this team after winning the National Championship the year before. But, as many Kentucky fans know, every year brings a new team, with fresh faces.

Goodwin averaged 14.1 points and 4.6 rebounds in that season. His ability to attack the rim and athletic capabilities made him an intriguing player. While he didn’t have a jumpshot, he still was able to get the ball in the hole from the perimeter. Kentucky did not make the tournament that season, as many remember. That paired with the remaining shooting guards on the table earned Goodwin the number seven ranking.

6. Eric Bledsoe (2009-2010)

Many people may feel really uncomfortable seeing Bledsoe this low. Some may not like the fact that a guy averaging over 20 points a game in the NBA didn’t even crack my top five. But, as previously stated, this a college-performance based ranking.

Along with John Wall and Demarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe was in the first “one-and-done” class, starting a trend that has taken the country by storm. He averaged 11.3 points and 2.9 assists per game while at Kentucky. He was a key factor in the Elite Eight run, but he was vastly overshadowed by Wall and Cousins’ stardom.

5. Doron Lamb (2010-2012)

Probably my favorite off the court player from the Calipari Era, if not all time, Doron Lamb checks in a number five. A 47.5 percent three-point shooter in his two seasons at Kentucky, Lamb was the most accurate marksman in the field. Constantly in the top ten of SEC rankings for true shooting percentage and three-point related things, he never seemed to miss.

The most memorable D-Lamb moment was the National Championship Game, where he led the Cats in scoring with 22 points, sealing off Kentucky’s first National Championship since 1998. This alone should’ve ranked him higher, but with the shooting guards left, it’s hard to choose.

Doron Lamb averaged 13.1 points per game, and became arguably one of the best pure three-point threats in recent memory.

4. Devin Booker (2014-2015)

The heart throb of the Bluegrass is our number four ranked shooting guard of the Calipari Era. The long-range marksman is one of the better success stories, as Booker wasn’t more than a backend first-rounder at best when he got here. 38 wins and a Final Four appearance later, Booker was taken 13th overall, exceeding many scouts expectations.

As did the rest of the players of this platoon-style team, he took a cut in minutes in order to achieve greatness. He only averaged 10.0 points per game in 21.6 minutes, but his per 40 minutes average was 18.7 points per game. His defense lagged a little bit, but he more than made up for it with scoring abilities.

3. Jamal Murray (2015-2016)

Jamal Murray cracked the top three based purely on his efficiency and ability to score the basketball. He set the Kentucky freshman scoring record with 720 points on the season, which would go on to be broken next year by Malik Monk. He is also second all-time in three pointers made in a season, trailing only Jodie Meeks.

Averaging a clean 20.0 points per game, matched with a field-leading 22.7 PER, Murray was electric. The only reason he’s not my number one shooting guard of the Calipari Era is due to the fact that they got eliminated in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Had they gone to an Elite Eight or better, he’d have a serious case for number one.

2. Malik Monk (2016-2017)

The most recent of the shooting guards, Malik Monk had a very decorated freshman year. The Jerry West Award winner broke Kentucky’s freshman scoring record with 754 points. That alone is enough to earn him this spot, but his scoring led Kentucky to an Elite Eight appearance and another SEC Conference championship.

1. Aaron Harrison (2013-2014)

As we wrap up this ranking, it’s time to acknowledge one of the biggest heroes in Kentucky basketball history. Aaron Harrison is single-handedly responsible for some of the greatest shots in NCAA tournament history. He led the Wildcats on an improbable run to the National Championship in 2014 and was a part of the 2015 Final Four run.

Harrison averaged 12.4 points per game in his two seasons at Kentucky, and ingrained his name into Kentucky lore along the way. He may not be the best guard out of this bunch, but his importance to the program and what he did earned him this slot. Harrison helped lead the Cats to two consecutive Final Fours, something that hadn’t been done in a long time.

Link

[ 04-30-2017, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-30-2017 12:40 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would have Murray, and possibly Monk, ahead of Harrison. As far as shooting and finishing at the rim, Murray gets my vote as best SG under Cal.
Posts: 10346 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 04-30-2017 05:52 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Both Murray and Monk would rate ahead of Harrison in my book. Harrison did make some big shots for us in the NCAA tournament run and I think that is why whomever rated them put him as number one.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-01-2017 01:24 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Aaron shot 41% from the field and 33.5% from the 3 point line in his two seasons as a Cat.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 05-01-2017 03:01 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Aaron would've shot 61% if he hadn't tried to draw a foul every time he drove to the rim. [Wink]
Posts: 10346 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 05-01-2017 10:44 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doron Lamb is #1 on my list followed by Murray at #2 and Monk #3. Lamb was a Knock down three point shooter with a great mid range game and the ability to slide over and play the point if necessary. He was also an above average defender.

He was a great college player in my opinion.

[ 05-01-2017, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-02-2017 10:49 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lamb is currently playing for the Westchester Knicks in the D league. He has started in 20 out of the first 42 games. He averages 12.1 points, shooting 42% from the field, 37.8% from the 3 point line and 1.5 assists.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com