TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Ref Higgins received death treats after UK loss to UNC

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ref Higgins received death treats after UK loss to UNC
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-29-2017 09:14 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NCAA referee John Higgins met with law enforcement Tuesday after allegedly receiving death threats stemming from Kentucky's loss to North Carolina in the Elite Eight.

According to ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman and Dana O'Neil, Higgins received numerous calls at his home and office despite having an unlisted number.

UNC defeated Kentucky 75-73.

Per Goodman and O'Neil, Kentucky fans also wrote false messages on the Facebook page for Higgins' company.

Kentucky was whistled for 19 fouls in the game to UNC's 18, but the Tar Heels shot 26 free throws while the Wildcats shot 19.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-30-2017 02:45 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hopefully this kind of publicity will keep him from ever doing another Kentucky game again. I don't approve of our fans doing this (if they did), but must say, this man had a big say in who won and who lost this game by his officiating and that should never be.

Jeff Goodman of ESPN is not a Cat fan, he would report a story like this even if it isn't true.

[ 03-30-2017, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-30-2017 07:53 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
Kentucky was whistled for 19 fouls in the game to UNC's 18, but the Tar Heels shot 26 free throws while the Wildcats shot 19.

When people try to show that the same number of fouls were called, insinuating that the game was called fairly, it just shows how stupid they are. Although we would've won this game if we hadn't gone cold over the last two minutes of the game, this game was nowhere near fairly called. Add in the no-calls and subtract the bogus calls and the 19-18 comparison would be more like 15-25. There were simply calls on us that shouldn't have been called and missed calls on UNC that should've been called.
Posts: 10336 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-30-2017 09:23 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well put Pualcat, I totally agree.
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 03-30-2017 10:18 AM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For starters, I think it’s terrible for fans to do death threats to Higgins or anyone else. With that said, I went to all the links that have the shorten video of the bad calls in that game and someone, maybe the FBI or NCAA took all of them down. WHY??? Because they know they’re guilty of the bad calls. My God, it wasn’t a graphic ISIS video. IMO I just think that is wrong. We are entitled to our own opinion and freedom of speech.

As far as the game goes, non-UK fans say stuff like “UK should have made their free throws, UK should have made more shots etc. Well it has nothing to do with that. Games should be called fair between both teams period. Most of the refs do but some of them don’t and the NCAA should investigate into it. I’m going to really watch the Final Four closely and see if this continues.

Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ProBlue
Player
Member # 2944

posted 03-30-2017 12:39 PM      Profile for ProBlue   Email ProBlue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If John Higgins calls the NC game Saturday he might try and worm is way out by calling bad calls on NC. Or he's bought and paid for by NCAA for NC to win it all.

--------------------
ProBlue

Posts: 745 | From: Bristol,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 03-30-2017 04:20 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was screaming my head off at that game. Most biased officiating I've seen in a long time. I can't swear it but I think the fix was in. As for death threat's, that's wrong, very wrong. But I hope it results in him never doing another UK game again...He stinks!!!
Posts: 860 | From: jacksonville, fl. u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-30-2017 05:51 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good information from Seth Greenburg of ESPN on death threat on officials. From KSR:

quote:

Seth Greenberg is always a great guest on KSR, but today he was better than usual because it was really good to hear his perspective on two hot topics: the threats on the official who called the UK-UNC game, and the obvious bias among some of his colleagues in media. We’ll begin with the recent death threats that have painted Big Blue Nation in a negative light, to which Greenberg said it isn’t so uncommon. Greenberg, who agreed the first half of the North Carolina game was poorly called, is obviously against the behavior of fans following that game, but he said it’s not the first time officials have been threatened. In fact, it happens all the time: “I talked to three Final Four officials yesterday. Three. Guys that have reffed in the championship game, multiple times. They said the whole idea of calls and threats — maybe not to the extent that it’s happened with Kentucky this past week, allegedly or whatever because we don’t know the facts — but what I’ve gotten is, from all these guys — solicited separately and not even knowing I’ve talked to the other three guys — they said, ‘Coach, this happens all the time. It happens five or six times a year. Every school in the country has fans like that.’ I had one guy say they had a picture of his house. One guy got an e-mail saying I’ll be waiting for you at the airport. So this isn’t a Kentucky thing, this is societal.” From there, Greenberg went on to share his thoughts on members of the national media who have a clear bias toward or against certain coaches. He sees it as a real problem and it is the reason why he thinks he is disliked by a lot of his peers in the business. “I think it’s joke,” he told KSR. “They all want to have an opinion, but the prism that they look at the game through and building coaches and programs through, is so biased it is ridiculous.”
quote:

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com