TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » John Higgins

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: John Higgins
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-26-2017 09:31 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UK is now 1-4 in tournament games involving John Higgins as a ref.

The only win came over Cornell in 2010 62-45. Here are the losses:

2005 Elite - Loss to Michigan State 94-88 in 2OT (that was the game where Sparks should have shot a Free Throw for the win in Regulation, but no foul called)

2011 Final Four - Loss to UCONN 56-55 (I can't remember much about that game other than Terrence Jones was called for an offensive goal tending, you are going to see a trend here, and Jones missed a lot of Free Throws that game)

2015 Final Four - Loss to Wisconsin 71-65 to end undefeated season (I remember three huge plays: Shot clock violation not called on Wisky, offensive goal tending call on Towns that clearing wasn't goal tending, sounds familar, Koening was out of bounds on a play and came back in without establishing position for a layup, and many No-calls on Wisky as they were allowed to man handle Towns in the post)

2017 Elite Eight - Loss to UNC 75-73 and I think we know of all the bad calls in this game with another very familiar offensive goal tending call against UK.

Higgins also reffed the UCLA game this year which was a loss and he reffed the last home game against Vandy and gave Cal the early technical for being out of the coaches box.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-26-2017 09:51 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Where is this guy from, and what conference does he work?

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-26-2017 09:55 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Old Norm:
Where is this guy from, and what conference does he work?

Norm,

He must work some games in the SEC since he reffed the UK/Vandy game at the end of the year. I've seen him ref a lot of Big 10 and Big 12 games in the past, but I don't watch much college basketball any longer so I am not really sure.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 03-26-2017 10:12 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this, very interesting! Maybe he is affiliated with Vegas! [Eek!]
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-26-2017 10:32 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I Googled him. He's primarily Big12.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-26-2017 10:45 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Officiating Crew

3/17/2005 Kentucky vs. Eastern Kentucky W 72 - 64 11 20 26 11 0 0 None John Higgins, Bill Gracey and Winston Stith

3/27/2005 Kentucky vs. Michigan State L 88 - 94 2 OT 25 20 23 30 1 0 None Jim Burr, Mark Whitehead and John Higgins

3/25/2010 Kentucky vs. Cornell W 62 - 45 17 22 26 13 0 1 None Mike Sanzere, James Breeding and John Higgins

4/2/2011 Kentucky vs. Connecticut L 55 - 56 12 13 12 11 0 0 None Les Jones, John Higgins and Mark Whitehead

4/4/2015 Kentucky vs. Wisconsin L 64 - 71 20 14 10 22 1 0 None John Higgins, Verne Harris and Doug Sirmons

12/3/2016 UCLA at Kentucky L 92 - 97 22 24 27 21 0 2 None Doug Shows, John Higgins and Byron Jarrett

2/28/2017 Vanderbilt at Kentucky W 73 - 67 14 25 26 16 0 1 UK Coach Calipari for being out of coaching box arguing missed foul (called by John Higgins) Anthony Jordan, John Higgins and Jamie Luckie

3/26/2017 Kentucky vs. North Carolina L 73 - 75 19 18 19 26 0 0

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-27-2017 02:51 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I were Cal and had the ability to do it, I would certainly black ball that man from calling any future UK games. I feel we would have won that game yesterday with decent officiating. It did get better in the second half but so much damage was done to us in the first half.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-27-2017 04:30 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even Jay Williams of ESPN made a comment about the officiating, very unusual:
quote:

Jay Williams ✔ @RealJayWilliams All for a great game but do the refs have UNC winning in their bracket or something. @finalfour #UNCvsUK 6:10 PM - 26 Mar 2017 5,452 5,452 Retweets 4,873 4,873 likes
quote:

Another Quote I found about Higgins:

Horrible ref. Expect Fox and Monk to get in foul trouble. He gave Wisconsin points after shot clock, allowed basket when guy had not re-established himself inbounds and the UCONN flop. Expect him to try his best to put the screws to us.
quote:

That prediction certainly turned out to be true.

He loves to call technical fouls, called on on Cal for being out of the coaches box against Vandy this year. He sure is full of himself and someone in a position of authority needs to take him down a notch or two. He had called a technical foul on Cal in 5 straight games prior to the UNC loss yesterday.

[ 03-27-2017, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-27-2017 06:55 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He is from Omaha Nebraska, does about 90 games per year which is far too many. Has a quick whistle, loves to call technical fouls. Most coaches dislike having him do their games because he is a total control freak. His ego is apparently much better than his objectivity when it comes to officiating basketball games. There is no place in the college game for officials of his stature.
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 03-27-2017 08:41 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was at the game and some Carolina fan's that were sitting in front of me said that they have never seen a game were the officiating was so bias. I said every game that duke and unc plays is that way.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 03-28-2017 08:04 AM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is embarrassing!
Link

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-28-2017 08:49 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great find bluehoot. That shows the individual calls as they were made. In watching it live, I saw what I considered 7 calls that went against the Cats that were totally wrong in the first half alone. That footage breaks down every one of them. That video showed at least 10 during the game, I had counted 7 of those in the first half as the game was played live.

[ 03-28-2017, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 03-28-2017 11:00 AM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks! We just have one of these terrible calls back and we probably win the game. [Roll Eyes]
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-28-2017 12:20 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am trying really hard to not be bitter. I'm afraid it's not working. When I watched that vidio, all the wounds had salt rubbed in them. Thanks though Blue Hoot. At least I'm sure now that I have reason to be bitter. I didn't even see the one there, where Fox was clotheslined across the throat, with of course, no call.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-28-2017 01:19 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It also didn't show the one where Berry fell down after twisting his ankle and threw the ball out of bounds and the ref called it out on Humphries. That was a joke.
Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 03-28-2017 01:41 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was feeling bad about not being able to watch it, but I'm glad I missed it now. I'd have had to purchase a new TV because I'd have thrown something through mine. That is absolutely unacceptable and the NCAA needsto do something about it.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-28-2017 03:10 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I got news for u folks he will be refereeing in the ff.. - the highest graded refs are moved to the FF based on "merit" of all things!!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-28-2017 03:25 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If he is one of the best, the NCAA are in big trouble for officials.
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 03-28-2017 04:10 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Treyball, I can completely understand why you don't watch much college basketball anymore. The refs control the games and wouldn't be surprised if they're paid off...
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-28-2017 04:29 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He is also one of the highest paid NCAA referees. I read that he gets $3000 per game, and called almost 60 games this season. That's right at 180 thou. He also owns a roofing business, and I read another story on KSR, that the FBI is now answering the phones at his business, due to all the threatening calls and Facebook posts he is receiving. Edit: They have changed the story now, saying it may be someone pretending to be the FBI.

KSR Story

[ 03-28-2017, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Old Norm ]

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-28-2017 04:43 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder if impersonating the FBI is considered a felony? Not wishing any ill will on the guy, but if his company is pretending to be the FBI, that might be illegal.
Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-28-2017 05:35 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blue hoot:
Treyball, I can completely understand why you don't watch much college basketball anymore. The refs control the games and wouldn't be surprised if they're paid off...

It is really bad. Every team that is in the Final Four the officials played a part to some degree. Obviously UNC got a favorable whistle against UK, but Arkansas may have been screwed over worse than UK against UNC.

Gonzaga - How do you miss a goal tend call when the guy puts his hand through the Net and Rim to block the shot and then turnaround and call a Technical on the Coach for complaining about how you missed that call.

Oregon - Got all kinds of calls down the stretch when they trailed Rhode Island and then Dorsey hit the 3 for the win.

South Carolina - Probably the only team that can claim that they didn't have a ton of help, except the refs missed the HUGE travel by Notice on the inbounds play under a minute to go, but I think USC was up 6, but still Florida came back from down 5 with less than a minute against Wisconsin.

It's inexcusable that you can point to key mistakes by ref's for every team that is still playing.

They are terrible and it seems to get worse every single year across the board.

[ 03-28-2017, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-01-2017 11:38 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is a article titled-

Higgins is one of the nation's most visible, wanted—and loathed—basketball referees.

With his sturdy, 6' 3" frame, his perma-tan, light brown floppy hair and, most of all, his high-profile assignments—including six Final Fours and the 2013 NCAA championship game—Higgins has become the most recognizable referee in college basketball. That is not always a good thing. His familiarity to television viewers, combined with his penchant for calling technical fouls, have subjected him to considerable mockery and loathing. Higgins knows all too well that this scrutiny comes with the territory, especially in the social media age. He tries not to pay much attention to it. "If I looked at everything people wrote or said about me, I'd be a basket case," he says.

Link

[ 04-01-2017, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 04-01-2017 12:16 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hopefully we will never have to see him call another Kentucky game after all this publicity over the handling of the UK/UNC game. He sure has cost us dearly in games he has called over the past few years.

[ 04-01-2017, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 04-01-2017 04:55 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If anyone would want to get serious about cleaning up the game, they could make them take lie detector tests, weekly and before and after big games. I do believe something is not right right withe Higgins. If he was paid in cash and is careful how he spends it, nobody will ever find out.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com