TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » It's been a fun year.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's been a fun year.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-26-2017 07:37 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm always disappointed when it's over but it was a fun year. I thought they made progress as the year went on, at least defensively. Hawkins and Willis made major contributions this year and that was nice to see. I know for some anything less than a National Championship is a disappointment but I'm not one of them.
Posts: 5393 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-26-2017 07:40 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There were many times this year when I said this team is one of my least favorite under Cal. Over the last two weeks, they really changed my mind. This was one heck of a team. Playing 5 on 8 is tough for any team to overcome.
Posts: 10334 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-26-2017 07:41 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree Handy, this team had no rim protector this year and that really hurt us. I enjoyed the season, especially watching Fox with his speed and scoring ability. We were missing two ingredients on this team, a rim protector and good front line to go along with Bam. Briscoe, as good as he was, is too small to be in among the trees and guarding players who are 4 to 5 inches taller than he is. It would have been nice to be playing next weekend but all in all, these kids made us Kentucky fans proud by their efforts.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 03-26-2017 09:09 PM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This was an enjoyable season that, even though ending too soon, had its highlights and exceeded my expectations. All in all it was fun. Winning the SEC (reg. season and tournament), beating Wichita State and UCLA in the big dance were satisfying. And as always it was fun watching these young men grow and improve in the sport they love. I'm sure Cal enjoyed coaching them as much as we enjoyed watching them. Wishing them all the best in their lives and looking forward to next season. Go Cats!!
Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-26-2017 09:55 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They went further than I expected. It did look like the field was beeing cleaned out to make an easy path for UK thru the final four. But now it looks like that path was being made for UNC, unless I am sadly mistaken. Sometimes I think we will never win that #9, at least while I'm still on top of the ground. Just reflecting back to early in the first half when twice our guys waited patiently until the ball had rolled off the rim before they tapped it back UP and in only to have a referee say it was goal tending. Again I'll say it, It looks like the officiating in basketball deteriorates more and more every year.

But now we move on to the other season. That's when each kid decides where he wants to be next year. Even though they all have their faults and could use another year to improve their abilities before leaving, we all know that this roster is going to be depleted thru graduation, transfers or going to the draft. I wish each one good fortune wherever they decide to go and hope they make that decision as soon as possible.

I continue to think about Willis and Hawkins and what if they had gotten more teaching and experience sooner how much better they could have been. In the post season I think we can see how much better they became. Willis has become a good rebounder to go along with his shooting. Hawkins showed he really could handle the ball and drive along with his shooting. I will miss having that KY player on the bench to cheer for even though we have Brad.

Even Humphries may have showed enough today to convince him to come back for his junior year. The big question marks are Wynyard, Gabriel and Jones. They fit the role Willis and Hawkins were in during their freshmen years. Will they stay and will they play?? We either play and win with the one and dones or we finally lose during the playoffs.

I guess it's one time in eight years for a championship and seven as a great team without a championship. It's getting less championships than I thought we would have by now but if we want Cal to continue recruiting the best of the best every year we will have to be satisfied.

I'm ready to finalize the next group of one and dones and start thinking about if we will have enough to challenge again next year. I would have thought with the number of #1 classes we would have 10 championships by now. As they say, there's always next year.

Posts: 14140 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com