TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » The curious case of Isaac Briscoe

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The curious case of Isaac Briscoe
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-19-2017 02:38 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From an article in the Cats Pause:

quote:

ATHENS, Ga. – One lesson Kentucky learned in it's second down-to-the-wire win over Georgia this season? It can win without Isaiah Briscoe. The sophomore had perhaps the most frustrating night of his UK career, finishing 4 of 12 from the field and committing four turnovers in 24 minutes before fouling out with just under five minutes to play. The numbers don't tell the whole story, though. Briscoe's entire demeanor wasn't what's expected of a veteran leader, a title he qualifies for in UK's accelerated development program. He was goaded into his fourth foul with 8:20 to play, tangling with Georgia's Pape Diatta while fighting for a rebound. Minutes later, after the Bulldogs just took a 64-61 lead on a momentous 3-pointer by J.J. Frazier, Briscoe rebounded a De'Aaron Fox miss, but promptly lowered his shoulder and was called for his fifth foul. What did John Calipari say to Briscoe after that moment? "'I'm glad you're out. I'm glad you fouled out. Now we can try to win this thing,'" Calipari said before grinning. "I didn't say that." We'll never know whether Kentucky would have won the game with the error-prone Briscoe on the floor during the final stretch, but there's a vocal contingent of UK fans who wonder how the Cats can accomplish much of anything with him in the lineup. Some of that criticism is warranted. Briscoe has coughed up four or more turnovers in six of UK's 14 SEC contests. The early season improvement in his shooting stroke has seemingly disappeared – Briscoe has made just 1 of his last 12 3-point attempts over the last six games. His free throw percentage now stands at 67.5 percent. Couple that with Briscoe's near-meltdown in Stegeman Coliseum on Saturday night and it's easy to wonder what his role might be as Kentucky looks toward postseason play. Calipari insinuated as much while praising the play of Dominique Hawkins. "You look at it and I think he deserves more minutes," Calipari said, "and we're gonna have to cut some guys'." What does Hawkins do to merit more time on the floor? His assist-to-turnover ratio is a sterling 4.3 to one, while Briscoe's number is just 1.7. Hawkins provides the same defensive intensity that is Briscoe's hallmark, but without as much harm to drag down the good. But Briscoe's miscues make it easy to forget the moments when he is simply indispensable. Remember the big shots he made at the crucial juncture late at Alabama, staving off the Crimson Tide's would-be comeback? Or what about the first matchup with Georgia, when Briscoe posted 23 points, 11 rebounds and eight assists while playing all 45 minutes with Fox out due to illness?
quote:

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-19-2017 05:22 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Briscoe's problem has never been his talent. It is his consistency. He can look like an NBA star one night and become a total liability the next. I really thought he had worked out his shooting problems with they way he started the season, but now I cringe every time he shoots the ball.

I would agree that Hawkins has earned more time. Maybe losing his starting job will ignite the fire in Briscoe, and lead him to play under control.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13625 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-19-2017 05:46 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I honestly think that if Mulder played the same minutes as Briscoe that his numbers might be the same as Briscoe's or better. I think he would score about the same, rebounds might be a little less, he may average about the same assists, and his defense would be a little less then Briscoe's but not too much. I think Mulder would actually fit better because he would force the defense to guard him outside which would open up the lane more. Whoever guards Briscoe just lays way off him in the lane. They just dare him to shoot it outside. I was at the Alabama game and had been hoping Cal would pull him out because he had played terrible that game, and then about the last 5 minutes he was huge. But if Mulder had been in for more minutes, maybe we have more of a lead at that point. I would be happy to see more of Fox, Monk, Mulder, Willis, and Bam in the game; with Hawkins and Briscoe spelling Monk/Fox and Mulder.
Posts: 5440 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-19-2017 06:00 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yep how many people really like watching briscoe shoot the ball? his hustle gets him minute and that is about it imo

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-19-2017 06:53 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Briscoe is our 3rd highest scorer with a 13.6 ave., 2nd in minutes played (30.9), 2nd in assists (4.3) and third in steals per game (.09).

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-19-2017 09:41 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He manages to play well often enough to keep his stats up. I never recall us having so many guys on one of our teams who liked to smack the opponent with a shoulder. I am an old timer who likes to watch finesse basketball, not football on the hardwood. Right now I have made up my mind to just relax and watch them win or lose, whichever they think they should do. I am starting to feel like all 4 of these guys should go in the draft, Bam, Fox, Monk and Briscoe. The only thing better on this years team over last year is Bam can dunk. I would like to see only Humphries, Wynyard, Gabriel & Diallo return next year. If we add Bamba we will be good enough.
Posts: 14165 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-19-2017 11:40 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Briscoe was shooting bricks from the perimeter. He is the reason that the team had such a hard time at the start of the game.

I do not know why he cant make a jumper.

He has games where he dominates with his drives to the basket and scores at ease.

He also has games where his drives are blocked and he misses terribly or steps on the base line.

I don't hate him, but I don't want him to have the ball in his hands at the end of the game.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-20-2017 01:30 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Briscoe is 14-46 from the 3 point line. (30.4%)

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-20-2017 01:48 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Briscoe must have had a hot game or two, because all I can remember is him missing.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 02-20-2017 03:00 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Constantly steps out of bounds
Posts: 860 | From: jacksonville, fl. u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-20-2017 04:59 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He pads his stats by having good games and bad games which figures out for a fairly good average.
Posts: 14165 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-20-2017 07:51 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Though it has improved since his freshman season, Briscoe is still a pretty horrible shooter. He’s missed 17 of his 20 three-point attempts in his last 10 games (a 15 percent clip); and in Kentucky’s last five games, he is 1-for-10 from outside and 7-for-17 from the foul line.

LAST FIVE GAMES
Game FGM-FGA 3PM-3PA FTM-FTA
@ Florida 3-10 0-1 0-2
vs. LSU 4-9 1-3 5-6
@ Alabama 5-11 0-1 1-7
vs. Tennessee 6-10 0-2 0-1
@ Georgia 4-12 0-3 1-1
TOTAL 22-52 1-10 7-17
In that five-game span, Briscoe made only one two-point basket that wasn’t a layup.

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Wildtut
Player
Member # 2225

posted 02-20-2017 08:31 PM      Profile for Wildtut   Email Wildtut   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
DONT LIKE TO SEE HIM IN THE END OF A GAME IF ITS IS CLOSE TO MANNY TURNOVER AND DRIVE CRAZY TO THE BASKET I

--------------------
I was a young wildcat when i was born i be and old wildcat when i die

Posts: 1942 | From: Rock wood Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
phillrose1
Player
Member # 2916

posted 02-20-2017 10:02 PM      Profile for phillrose1     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have thought for a while that Briscoe will only be a college player and will do well against the lower in school. He doesn't seem to show up much in the big games or against teams with good big men. When he can not get his show off in the lane he usually doesn't have much for us that other people can not give. I do not see Cal taking him out of the game although I do think we play much better with Hawkins in the game and would like to see him as the starter and Briscoe coming off the bench for a good defender and driver and Mulder getting more minutes when we need to stretch the floor. I like Briscoe in the game more than Mulder at most aspects of the game but Mulder can make a 3 and no one is worried about Briscoe shooting. Him on the perimeter allows teams to sag down into the paint and double up on Bam. Briscoe is not going to shoot over them at a high clip and if he drives when the double team they are clogging the paint for him to come in there. Then again as with most of these posts we do not see what is happening in practice. Hell I thought the year we went 40-0 and lost to Wisconsin that Devin Booker should have never left the game.

--------------------
Being defeated is a temporary condition, giving up makes it permanent.

Posts: 84 | From: Va Beach | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-21-2017 12:46 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I always felt Booker in the game late for Willie Cauley Stein would have won us the game too. What Wisconsin had done was quit defending Willie, doubling down on Towns who was carrying us late in the game. I heard Bo Ryan break down the way they defeated us and he explained that at about the six minute mark left in the game, they knew Willie could only dunk and that UK was playing Towns low so they decided to not even attempt to guard Willie and put two players on Towns. It worked and the rest is history. Booker would have made them play Towns one on one and they had no one who could stop him in that game. That team should have finished the season 40-0 with a national championship. We did get a couple of bad calls or no calls late in the game but even with that, we certainly should have beat Wisconsin.
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-21-2017 01:29 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Absolutely Ray spot on! I also felt that Tyler shoould have got more playing time over Andrew but Coach was committed to winning or losing with both of twins!!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 02-21-2017 03:43 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would have to agree with you both
Posts: 860 | From: jacksonville, fl. u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 02-21-2017 03:44 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Still makes me sick that we could have gone 40-0 and beat Duke to finish it off. Would have probably been the most watched final game of all time!
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-21-2017 04:02 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It may well have been, but that wouldn't stop them from showing that damn Laettner shot over and over.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-21-2017 04:43 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CBS still start every college basketball broadcast using that shot, time to retire it now, that was 25 years ago.
rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 02-21-2017 04:45 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very true Norm, unfortunately it is one of the most iconic replay's and games of all-time. And if UK wouldn't have been the opponent, you'd never see it. A testament to the importance of UK Basketball
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 02-21-2017 06:43 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well they should have the Villanova shot to show from now on. That shot should surpass the Laetner shot because it was for the championship. Hope it does.
Posts: 5440 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com