TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal's rant against coach firing.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal's rant against coach firing.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 02-19-2017 09:21 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unless it has something to do along the lines of ethic violations, I've always felt it was "tacky " to fire a coach during the season.

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/watch-john-calipari-gives-epic-rant-defending-coaches

Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-19-2017 09:33 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Could be boosters who demand a firing happen early. Usually the proper thing to do is to fire at the end of the season.

Calipari has the highest winning percentage since Rupp. If some of the fans were in charge of the store, they would be shopping for somebody that they thought would be better. It will take the 2nd or 3rd coach after Cal to have any staying power. The first one will get paid a lot and fired quickly, in my humble opinion.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-19-2017 10:28 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is the second head coaching job Gottfried has been fired from. He was at Bama, his alma mater, and they had to let him go also. He apparently is a better ESPN color analyst than he is coach. Agree, they should have waited till the season was over to fire him. He has 2 million dollars coming for finishing out the season with them, not a bad severance package.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-19-2017 11:37 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right or wrong when you get paid the big bucks employers sometimes expect immediate results.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-19-2017 12:20 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd LOVE to be fired and handed a million or two! I suspect I'd be on the Little Red River every day the weather permitted.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-19-2017 12:46 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I never feel sorry for fired coaches. They all (div 1) make great money and in most cases dont have to work again if they chose not to.

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-19-2017 02:55 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me either Ed, they are very well paid for what they do. It's either produce a winner or take your severance pay and move on.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com