TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Can Cal coach?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can Cal coach?
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 02-13-2017 10:24 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
According to this article he can. His accomplishments at three different schools speak for their self.
http://wildcatbluenation.com/2017/02/12/john-calipari-more-than-just-a-great-recruiter/

Posts: 5408 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-13-2017 11:56 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This gets brought up every season. There is probably not an arm chair coach in the state, myself included, that doesn't think they know what they would do different at one time or another.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 02-13-2017 12:38 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
boomdaddy, I agree. There has been more than one time that I thought coaching moves may very well cost us the game. But at least in my mind, he is still a great coach.
Posts: 5408 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 02-13-2017 03:51 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'll bite. Most of you know my opinions from previous messages posted. I'm not saying that Cal should be fired, or that I want another coach to take his place. I just wish he could mold his team for collegiate success rather than prepping them for the NBA.

To me, Cal is more of a manager rather than a coach. Obviously, he's the best recruiter in the college game, and he is an excellent motivator, at least for the One-N-Dones.
Yes, he can also coach, but not as well from a strategic standpoint as some of the other top coaches, IMHO. It seems like he just tries to get his kids to play harder than their opponent, and with their talent that will be good enough to win.
Examples:

--offense only works well for Dribble Drive but struggles against zones
--no out-of-bounds plays
--refuses to zone out-of-bounds plays (most coaches do)
--refuses to play zone even when Man-to-Man defense isn't working (occasionally he plays zone for one or two series, but then reverts back to MtoM)
--doesn't watch a lot of game film of opponent
--preps his players for the NBA at the expense of winning college games or adapting his strategy for the college game

Cal gets some of the best top-rated players every year and if he can get them to buy in to his system he will always have success. The question is, can he win it all with a team full of One-N-Dones (freshmen)over teams with more mature players mixed in with just one One-N-Done and coaches who mold their teams for the college game?
He's been to the Final Four numerous times while at UK but has been able to just win it once with an incredible team and center in Anthony Davis.

I'll change my opinion when he wins another National Championship for UK. Hope it's soon!

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 02-13-2017 07:48 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My father-in-law was a great high school basketball coach in Kentucky more than fifty years ago. He told me that the parents of his players and many fans thought they knew more about coaching than he did.
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com