TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » What Cal said after Bama win

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Cal said after Bama win
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-12-2017 08:52 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kentucky looked better on defense for most of Saturday’s 67-58 win at Alabama, but that came at the expense of the offense, which sank just 3 of 15 shots from 3-point range and struggled to find any real rhythm all day.

“You really zero in on one thing and what happens?” coach John Calipari said. “Two other things fall apart.”

And even the defense faltered late, as the Crimson Tide heated up in the final few minutes to shoot 57.7 percent in the second half. But all things considered, it felt like a step forward for Kentucky.

•How did this one feel to the players? “That was a happy locker room. It’s a locker room that cares – that cares about each other,” the coach said. “But the technical stuff, I’ve just got to keep coaching them, and I think I got away from what I needed to do for three weeks and we slipped. Let’s see if I can get these guys on the right path. We’re playing Tennessee coming up, who beat our brains in up there. Let’s see what we can do at home.”
•Kentucky committed 27 fouls, with Bam Adebayo fouling out with six minutes to go and four other guys finishing with four fouls apiece. Players’ excuses to Calipari included: Well, he was going to score. “It’s not a touchdown. It’s a basket and in 12 seconds we’ll score. Why did you foul? And then the fouls are and-ones,” Calipari said. “So you’re not even fouling good. Foul him if you’re going to foul him and get your fourth foul – not an and-one. So we’ve got so much stuff to work on.” UK was fortunate Alabama only made 9 of 26 free throws.
•Sophomore Isaiah Briscoe started 2 of 8 from the field and 0 for 5 from the line, but he went off late. He had an and-one, long jumper and another contested bucket inside – 7 points in the final four minutes – after Bama cut the lead to seven. “He’s got a toughness to him and he’s got a fight,” Calipari said. “But there were three or four plays before that, shots blocked, he didn’t need to take the shot. You’ve got three guys on you who are 6-7. Why did you try to shoot it? Even just call the timeout. Don’t just give them the ball.” Briscoe finished with 11 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists.
•Bam Adebayo played great – when he was on the floor. Before fouling out, he had 14 points, 7 rebounds and 2 blocks. He was a defensive presence inside and a terror around the rim offensively. He ran the floor well “and our guys found him,” Calipari said. “He’s got to do that every time. Like I said, we’ve gotta get somebody that we feel comfortable can back him up. Isaac (Humphries) did some good stuff today (4 points, 2 rebounds in 8 minutes). He came up with a huge ball in front of our bench where they had to foul him. Now believe me, three days ago, ain’t no way he’s coming near that ball.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com