TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Are we good enough to win a title?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are we good enough to win a title?
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-09-2017 11:10 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can this team win a championship?

That’s what it boils down to, right?
This is Kentucky, after all, college basketball’s gold standard. John Calipari can fixate on the NBA Draft, but to the fans it’s all about championship banners. Kentucky hangs eight. Big Blue Nation wants a ninth. Same as it ever was. Or will be.

So, based on what we’ve seen to this point, is this team good enough to win an NCAA title?

Let’s start by breaking down the talent:

Malik Monk: The freshman beat North Carolina (47 points) and Georgia (37). He is learning how to get to the free throw line, but needs to join the crash-the-glass effort. He has zero rebounds over the last two games. Still, when on, Monk is a monster. ESPN’s Chad Ford ranks him as the sixth best prospect in the 2017 NBA Draft.

De’Aaron Fox: Lightning fast as advertised, Fox is not yet a perimeter threat. He’s made a paltry 18.2 percent of his three-point shots. Rajon Rondo made 30.3 percent and John Wall 32.5 their freshmen years. Still, Draft Express ranks Fox as the draft’s eighth best prospect.

Isaiah Briscoe: The sophomore has improved his free throw and three-point shooting. He makes things happen, though not all good all the time. Briscoe leads the team in turnovers. He’s also dropped to No. 81 on the Chad Ford big board. (Could he back for a junior year?)

Bam Adebayo: Bam can jam with the best. He hasn’t enjoyed a double-digit rebound game since Dec. 3, however. He’s still learning how to play with fouls. And he has slipped to No. 27 on Ford’s Top 100 list. “One NBA exec compared him to Florida’s Patric Young,” wrote ESPN’s draft analyst. “He looks the part, but doesn’t always play the part.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186355 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-09-2017 11:21 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This years team has the talent. They are not playing very well, currently. If they don't turn it around, they won't even win the SEC tournament.

This team may not make the sweet 16 or they may go to the final four and make noise. This team is still a work in progress.

Time is running short with this team......Willis cant hit a shot to save his life....his head is messed up.....Bam cant make a lay up ....his head is messed.....Briscoe. his head is messed up...

Maybe Cal needs to quit messing with them and figure out how to get their heads right.

Of course, I am not a big time coach of a D1 program. What do I know.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-09-2017 03:27 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
imo it got bad when coach insisted in feeding bam in the post. before it was free flowing now everything is forced.....

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-09-2017 03:32 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't see this team having a shot at a national title. We have ABSOLUTELY NO inside game, and there are far too many teams out there that do have very good inside games. Too many for us to sneak by in the tournament.

We will go as far as the three-point shot takes us. If Cal was smart, he would take a number from 1989 Rick Pitino and put Cal's Bombinos on the court. Monk, Fox, Mulder, Briscoe and Willis would be the starting five with a goal of shooting 30 three-pointers per half. Gabrielle and Hawkins would be the two subs off the bench. [Wink]

[ 02-09-2017, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10321 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-09-2017 04:32 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed, as usual, you are right in your assessment. Bam is a very talented athlete, good size and great athleticism, he is just not a very good basketball player right now and I don't see Cal having enough time this season to make him what we need to control the middle. NCAA caliber guards offensively but not defensively and lack of consistent inside play have to be improved a ton if this team are to go far into March Madness. As fans, all we can do is hope.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 02-09-2017 08:39 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Simply, no. We are not good enough to win a title.

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 02-09-2017 10:18 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukcatfannfl:
imo it got bad when coach insisted in feeding bam in the post. before it was free flowing now everything is forced.....

Ed, I could not agree more. I said the same thing a few weeks ago. I understand Cal's desire to want to have a low post scoring option but BAM, nor anyone else, is simply capable of providing that right now.

[ 02-10-2017, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11532 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-09-2017 11:16 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ray and tip further it seems to me - that sometimes cal does more for individual players to get them rdy for the nba over the program. Could just be me but I also remember when Tyler U was probably a better option than one of the twins in our loss to Wisc but Cal insisted on going with Andrew. I hope I am wrong but I get that impression sometimes..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 02-10-2017 09:37 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not with our matador defense. No way.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-11-2017 08:15 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have the talent but everything would have to go in our favor. I would say we have less than a 10% at best chance of winning a NCAA championship.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186355 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com