TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Seth Davis picks SC over Cats

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seth Davis picks SC over Cats
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-20-2017 05:20 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From KSR:
quote:

There are hot takes, and then there are takes so hot they’re just plain stupid; the one I’m about to share is the latter. Sports Illustrated’s Seth Davis released his predictions for this weekend’s game, and not only picked Kentucky to lose to South Carolina, but predicted the Cats will only score 61 points. Yes, the same Cats that are currently averaging 93.3 points a game. Obligatory, HUH?! “It is nearly impossible to go into Rupp Arena and slow down the Wildcats’ ridiculously speedy attack, but if any team can do it, it’s Frank Martin’s Gamecocks,” Davis wrote. “They lead the nation in defensive efficiency, they are ranked 200th nationally in tempo, and they have not lost a game with senior guard Sindarius Thornwell in the lineup. South Carolina is especially proficient at locking up opposing guards. It’s much easier to take a team that wants to run and force it to play slow than the other way around. Yes, it won’t be easy for an offensively challenged team to put enough points on the board to pull this off, but that’s why they’re called upsets.” While I agree with Davis that Frank Martin’s team has one of the best defensive teams in the country, I just can’t see this Kentucky team scoring 61 points or less in any game. While South Carolina is only allowing 59.4 points per game this season, it’s worth pointing out that they allowed 68 to Texas A&M, a team Kentucky beat by 42 and held to 58. The fewest number of points Kentucky’s scored this season are 69 vs. Michigan State and 70 in the loss to Louisville. Not only is tomorrow’s game in Rupp, the Cats are coming off a tough road game in which two of the top scorers underperformed. Kentucky won’t score 100 tomorrow and heck, they might even lose, but they’re definitely going to score more than 61 points. [Sports Illustrated]
quote:

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-20-2017 10:38 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow! Can't believe what I just read. If this happens I will be ready for the hospital by the time it's over. The way some of our guys played Tuesday almost had me ready for the emergency squad. Just can't believe we'll play that bad again so soon. The game Wed. between SC and FL was about as poor a game I have seen all year. Look for them to foul a few guys out just when we have a couple more guys that seem to have found a scoring touch, Gabriel and Willis. I believe they both made three 3's.
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-21-2017 10:23 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This game does worry me a little bit just because of style match ups. If South Carolina is able to make the game an ugly, half court game they will have a great chance. So far we have not really showed a great ability to play in the half court. That is why we lost to Louisville. If it is a half court game and Monk is not hitting, it could be a loss. Bam is going to have to be able to stay on the floor, and score from inside. It should be a good one, and I hope we can pull it out, and it is a game that really helps us improve. We have better talent, but great game plans can sometimes neutralize that talent.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-21-2017 10:37 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe we'll cover the spread. At some point our defense has to start playing well.
Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com