TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Do the Cats have another loss on their schedule

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do the Cats have another loss on their schedule
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-19-2017 11:54 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Wildcats aren’t the only team that has run the table in conference play thus far, but they might be the only high-major squad that has a realistic chance to go undefeated between now and the NCAA tournament. Kentucky is a superpower in a league that is otherwise bereft of them; only one other SEC school (Florida) lies in the top 25 of KenPom right now. South Carolina and Florida are each ranked in the AP Poll, but both are outside of the top 15.

While KenPom doesn’t project Kentucky to go unbeaten the rest of the way when examining the sum of its remaining schedule – that’s a different exercise than picking each game individually – the numbers give UK a fighting chance. And when predicting each game in a vacuum, KenPom does project Kentucky to win out:

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 01-19-2017 12:40 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This team will have to improve drastically on the defensive end if they hope to go unscathed in SEC play. I think we'll beat KU at Rupp, but not sure we'll win all of our road SEC games.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-19-2017 01:51 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They had better watch out for South Carolina on Saturday. I do not feel this team will go undefeated the rest of the season or feel that they will be a team that goes deep into the tournament this year. As much as I enjoy watching them play, they play little to no defense and are lacking the inside game for a deep NCAA tournament run in my opinion. I love watching them play but I don't think too many teams have won it all with three guards scoring roughly 80 percent of their points, no rim protector and no consistent inside game.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-19-2017 01:51 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KU beat Duke but lost to Indiana. They play a tough schedule and will be tough to beat but fortunately we play them in Rupp like EC pointed out. If we beat them we would have had to been on the very top of our game. imo

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 01-19-2017 02:29 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If and when Monk gets his shooting eye back, UK will be hard to beat by anybody. If Monk doesn't snap out of it. we may lose two or more games left on the schedule.

The close scrape they had Tuesday night was because both Monk AND Briscoe had a really off night, and Abebayo was crippled by foul trouble.

[ 01-19-2017, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Old Norm ]

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-19-2017 04:42 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In name only this team is great. When you get down to the facts there are too many guys still not at the top of the game they need to have for us to go undefeated the rest of the way and be a serious final four team.

Adebayo - needs to be able to receive the ball and make a decision what he wants to do with it. Just like some of our big guys in the past who were foul prone.

Monk - His shooting is very inconsistent. When he is on he can be a 20+ scorer, when he just scores 10-12 points he is not playing at full capacity. The other night his shot was way of a lot of the time.

Fox - He has to drive the ball to keep the other team honest. When he doesn't they are willing to let him have the outside shot behind the line.

Gabriel - He seems to finally be finding his way. He is rebounding and is the best shot blocker we have right now. He was playing so good in the second half against MS St that he caused Willis to not get much PT in the second half after Willis scored 11 pts in the first half with 3-4 from 3pt line.

Jones - He is undoubtedly lost in the shuffle and didn't help his cause with all the fouls.

Willis - Is his same old self. He has good times and bad times. Not sure why they never gave him the ball in the second half. Seems like Cal wanted them to drive in the second half so he never got any decent touches.

Briscoe - He is a good driver and has been hitting his outside shot buy not consistently. He loves that baseline, maybe just a little too much. He makes some bad decisions and gets trapped with no outlet.

Humphries - Still learning and also makes some bad fouls. We need him but Cal gave Jones and Wynyard some PT to see if they could perform. So far there is no good answer to relieving Bam.

Hawkins & Mulder - They are filling in when needed and provide some defense and offense once in a while.

Who really knows what may happen with Diallo before we reach the end of the season. I know he's not supposed to play but it wouldn't surprise me to see him come off the bench when we get in a tight spot, after he picks up what Cal wants him to do.

Posts: 14171 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-19-2017 05:28 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Monk is shooting 50% from the field and over 40% from the 3 point line. Those are awfully good numbers.

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-19-2017 07:15 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The only problem with Monk is that he does not care much for playing defense. He is a natural scorer who will have off games from time to time but if I had one player on this team to build my team around, it would certainly be Fox, to me he is the heart and soul of this team, not Briscoe.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-19-2017 10:46 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can see certain players we must have to succeed. Without Bam we are almost dead because when he goes out we have trouble stopping the other team.

Without Fox we are missing that drive to the paint we need. Whether he scores or passes to the outside.

Without Monks points we are in a dog fight to stay ahead

Without Briscoe we are missing that PG presence when Fox is not in the game.

Outside of those 4 no one else has shown that they are not replaceable.

Just my thoughts. And Monk may be shooting 50% from the field but before Tuesday's game he had to be shooting somewhere over 50% because shooting 5-14 sure brings you down.

[ 01-19-2017, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14171 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-20-2017 07:59 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I personally think that Bam is the most overrated player on this team. I think his defense is just atrocious. He's not that good at guarding other forwards and centers, and when he switches and is stuck trying to stop a guard, you might as well give the other team two points. On offense, his points are from dunks and free throws. He doesn't have much game from an offensive standpoint. Arguably our best game of the year, against North Carolina, Bam played 19 minutes. I don't think he's that essential to how far this year's team will go. That lies on Fox and Monk.

This is understandable with Bam being so young. It used to be that someone like him would stay in college for two or three years to develop a productive game that he could take to the next level. Now that the NBA drafts basically on potential, those days are gone.

[ 01-20-2017, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com