TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » How much worse could it get without losing

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How much worse could it get without losing
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-17-2017 10:59 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What a poorly played game. Something like 6 turnovers in the first half and it was up to at least 10 or more in the second half. I didn't think they could play much worse than they did in the first half but they proved me wrong. Monk was completely off his game. Adebayo has no hands at all the way they took it away from him on the pass ins. If he doesn't play better than this he would be drafted solely on potential. Briscoe still hasn't learned how to stay in the game. Another technical for shoving. I'm glad Willis had a good first half because they never got to him in the second half. Thank God for Gabriel also. I mean I don't think I shut my mouth the whole game trying to coach them. I found out it didn't work, they still insisted on screwing up. They can't play Kansas like this and expect to win. [Mad]
Posts: 14116 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 01-18-2017 02:58 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, you sound exactly like me last night. I kept wanting coach to put Monk and Briscoe on the bench, they were certainly not playing up to par last night. Monk had at least 5 turnovers and Briscoe did not make his normal contributions. Poor Willis, hardly got off the bench in the second half after such a good first half offensively. A good win on the road on a really bad night for some of our team.

And unless Bam learns how to play defense on that high pick and roll, Kansas will run them out of the gym because they are also a guard oriented team and that is a major part of their offense and a part of the game that we are very poor defending.

[ 01-18-2017, 05:19 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-18-2017 07:20 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There was a fast break by MSU in the second half where Monk was even with, if not ahead of, the MSU guy with the ball, and he just stopped and let the guy drive to the rim for an easy layup. As good as Monk can be offensively, he is equally worse defensively. He is one lazy player when it comes to defense and I honestly don't think he even cares about getting better.

And that brings me to Cal's double standard. Willis, Jones, Mulder and Humphries - if they make one little mistake they're on the bench for the next ten minutes or even the rest of the half/game. Fox, Bam, Briscoe and Monk could mess up all day long and they're still in the game. Fox played great last night. Monk played the worse game of the year by any Wildcat in my opinion. He should've sat the last ten minutes of the game. Bam is just a young, soft player. If he isn't dunking the ball, you get basically nothing out of him. Briscoe can be great one game and just pathetic the next. Some of his decisions with the ball are mind-boggling.

I'll stop rambling now.

Posts: 10321 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 01-18-2017 12:05 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Disagree with respect

Humphries was on the bench because of foul trb. He was brought back in even though he had four. He is a five and can only play that position.

Both Gabriel and Willis play the four. They did a great job last night. In the second half Gabriel was playing too good to have Willis in and doubtful u will ever see both in at same time.

Monk - it was a play where the player got around him and why foul when that happens. I would agree that monk shouldnt have let him but once he got beat no reason to foul.

Jones heck he was a fouling machine. he had 4 fouls with hardly no playing time. He shouldnt even be on the court .

The others bam briscoe fox monk etc are the stars - they should be getting all the playing time at their positions unless foul trb prevents it .

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 01-18-2017 12:38 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Paulcat's take. Cal has always had a double standard on who gets to keep playing even though they occasionally miss an assignment or get beat off the dribble. His loyalty is with the OneNDones who he feels needs the playing time to get them ready for the almighty NBA. Unfortunately, he has to do this in order to be able to recruit the next round of OneNDones. Rinse and repeat.
I, personally, don't care for Cal. I find it increasingly difficult to stay invested in his teams. He doesn't play the best players and he refuses to change his defensive philosophy from the porous switch-everything on the pick and rolls. Maybe this is because his entitled freshmen haven't learned to play defense.
I do not expect this team to get to the championship game based on their defense and poor shot selection. A cold game by Monk and Briscoe like last night against a really good team and we will be going home. I will continue to pull for the Cats and I watch every game. For old guys like me, the college game has been ruined by the almighty dollars offered by the NBA. UK is nothing more than an NBA development team under Cal. It's now becoming more like that at other universities also as they try and keep up with Calipari's recruiting. Sorry for the long rant.

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com