TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » How much will Willis show he can play

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How much will Willis show he can play
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-04-2016 04:19 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Going into the season Derek Willis is being counted on to be in John Calipari’s eight-man rotation. What Willis has to show is just how high he deserves to be in that rotation.

“The question is, ‘Are you a guy that we know we can count on every game for 25 minutes, 30 minutes or is it every once in a while you can do that?’ Well then what we’re doing is every once in a while we’ll play you 25 minutes. It’s just, ‘What are you? How consistent are you?’” Calipari said.

The UK coach says Willis and Dominique Hawkins, both four-year players, should be mentally and physically ahead of other players.

“(Freshman) Wenyen (Gabriel) should not be past Derek at this point. If he is then … And I would say if you watch they’re two different players. Derek is more of a threeish, four stretch, and Wenyen’s probably a straight stretch four. But he could play three. Wenyen is just bigger. He’s bigger and longer and blocks shots.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 10-04-2016 04:43 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It sounds to me like Cal is not going to start Derek this season. Time will tell.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 10-04-2016 06:23 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I personally would rather see Derek start if he is playing the way he did at the end of the season. I would like to see these young guys really earn their spot before it is just handed to them. Derek could be a very important player for us this year. He really started to rebound and play good defense at the end of the year. Hope he picks up where he left off, and I hope he makes it hard for some of these younger guys to get that time.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 10-05-2016 03:00 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My sentiments exactly ukman.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-05-2016 02:34 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I usually don't talk round ball this early. But, since it is Willis, I will chime in with my amateur fan opinion of him. Before last season, I thought Willis would have his coming out party and get lots of playing time. But, until it actually happened, I wasn't 100% sure that he would break out. Willis did have a great season and was a major contributor on the team.

Because of how he played last season, I do not understand the title and premise of this thread that I am posting to.

Willis is a veteran who is a proven player. He will either start the majority of the games or he will get considerable floor time, in every game, unless he gets in foul trouble or has an injury. Maybe some people did not see the same player that I saw last season. I think Willis is the teams best 3 point weapon.

I do think Calipari is challenging him to be an even better player than he was last year. Willis has stated in interviews that he did not put in the work that he needed to, the season before. I think the coach just wants to keep him motivated, because he knows he has untapped potential.

Of the kids that are not one and dones, I believe Humphries is the most over looked. He played last season while only being 17 years old. He is a future NBA player. Hawkins will not make the NBA, but he will be a valuable role player, in my opinion. Tai Wynyard was suppose to be this stout kid that could mix it up on the boards and give them toughness. He didn't play, because they said he needed to get in better shape. I thought Mulder would have been a shooter or something, last year, but did not show much game.

I saw Brad Calipari shoot in high school and the young man can flat out shoot the three. I will enjoy watching him, when he gets on the floor.

[ 10-05-2016, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-09-2016 06:20 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Willis last season played a average of 18.6 minutes a game, 7.7 points, 48% from the field and 44% from the 3 point line.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com