TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Has UK basketball shown a chink in the armour?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has UK basketball shown a chink in the armour?
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-12-2016 04:20 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Kentucky Wildcats have been on one of the more unprecedented runs in the history of college sports. They’ve reached the Final Four in four of the past five years and have supplied the NBA with an endless amount of talent during the John Calipari reign, and are widely regarded as the best program in college basketball,

Or as Rick Pitino coined it "the Roman Empire."

However, even the Roman Empire eventually had its fall, and this past season's early exit from the NCAA tournament could be the first sign of a chink in the armor for John Calipari’s Wildcats.

Despite having three NBA draft picks on the roster, the Wildcats still lost to an Indiana team that didn’t have a single player selected in this year’s NBA draft, and they seemed to lack a certain chutzpah and dominance of other Kentucky squads of the recent past.

History always repeats itself and that is especially true when it comes to college sports. Take a look at some of the more memorable dynasties in recent college sports and what is the current state of their program. UCLA once won nine National Championships in eleven years but are now an above average Pac-12 team at best over the past decade.[

Link

[ 07-12-2016, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 07-12-2016 07:49 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know who this "Chris McKee" is, but the quality of writing on ASeaOfBlue has certainly declined.

It sounds so sophisticated to be a pessimist, but I see no signs of decline in UK basketball under Cal. In fact, the other declines he mentioned were the result of the loss of iconic coaches. Cal is still here, the last I checked, and has indicated a desire to finish his career here. Let Mr. McKee write his prognostications of doom... and let's all enjoy Cal proving him wrong.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-13-2016 05:46 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can't have a down year from the final four without someone predicting doom for the program. Some years ou have a down game and when it occurs during the tourney you don't make the final four.
Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 07-13-2016 09:28 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not so sure about that writer, but he doesn't sound much like a UK fan to me. I guess he could be though, as we get some pretty negative stuff on here from time to time.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 07-13-2016 01:48 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The talent pool in classes ebbs and flows. This season, Kentucky will have arguably the most athletic freshmen ever assembled in the bluegrass. Combine that with a stretch 4 that can shoot lights out and returning soph that will likely go pro and you have a very nice team that will be hard to beat.

After this season, the naysayers will shut up, until after the draft, then it starts all over again.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 07-13-2016 03:58 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If they don't win the National Championship, there will still be a whole lot of grumbling and Monday morning coaching. There are those that consider a final four team a failure if we don't win it all. I guess I'm just too easy to please.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 07-14-2016 03:58 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
believe he is fm NC and a dukie - I read somewhere that a sea of blue likes to solicit other views fm time to time

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 07-15-2016 11:07 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some people equate the word Dukie with act of #2. That is my thought process as well, when I hear it or read it . Sure am glad I am not a dukie fan.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ol' Blue
Player
Member # 2317

posted 07-15-2016 05:38 PM      Profile for Ol' Blue   Email Ol' Blue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wishful thinking.

--------------------
Number nine will be divine!!

A man needs something to believe in.........I believe I'll have another beer!

Posts: 2274 | From: Roanoke, TX | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com