TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Willis arrested for intoxication

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Willis arrested for intoxication
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 06-13-2016 03:05 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From Kentucky 24/7 Sports:

quote:

Kentucky senior forward Derek Willis was arrested in Boone County, Ky. Saturday night and charged with public intoxication, according to multiple outlets. He was released on $50 bond paid by his mother, Linda Potts. Get the latest UK news sent straight to your inbox with our FREE NEWSLETTER Willis turns 21 June 21. As a junior last season, Willis enjoyed a breakout season, averaging 7.7 points and 4.0 rebounds while shooting 44.2 percent from beyond the arc. His insertion into the starting lineup helped transform the Wildcats offense into the most efficient in the country. Over his last 17 games, Willis averaged 12.9 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game while making 38 of 83 (45.8 percent) three-pointers and was named one of Sports Illustrated's 10 most surprising players in college basketball last season. He scored a career-high 25 points in 25 minutes on a career-best seven three-pointers against Tennessee in February and hit a clutch trey in the SEC Tournament championship victory over Texas A&M.
quote:

[ 06-13-2016, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 06-13-2016 08:23 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw that last night. He is key player for next season. As long as he stays out of trouble from now on, this will blow over.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 06-13-2016 08:26 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't consider it a big deal either. Most young men his age are going to have a few drinks from time to time, at least it was not drugs and no DUI involved. I was suprised to find that Derek don't turn 21 until June 21st, thought he was older than that. He is a young Senior.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-14-2016 10:13 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I for one think drinking by student athletes in any sport is a no-no and should be punished accordingly. In Willis's case they did the right thing but if he is caught again he should be off the team in a heart beat.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 06-14-2016 03:53 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bruce, I would much rather have a student athlete getting his high off bourbon than drugs. I do not approve of getting drunk but things like that are going to happen from time to time and to me it is all a part of growing up.
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 06-15-2016 09:22 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It sounds like he is mighty lucky that is was not a DUI. That is taking drinking a wee bit too far in my opinion. I am not against social use of alcohol but am very much against drinking and driving and getting intoxicated to the point of passing out.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 06-15-2016 10:11 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you suppose someone had been with himhelping him celebrate his almost becoming legal to drink? May have been his first time (doubtful) and he didn't realize how much it would affect him?
Posts: 14120 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-15-2016 07:54 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just hope Willis learns something from this and has a great season.

--------------------

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 06-16-2016 07:47 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just saw the video of his arrest on KSR. It is not pretty. He was laying outside his car on the pavement when the police arrived and arrested him. Not a pretty sight for one of our Ky basketball players and no excuse for anyone to get that drunk, even if it occurs at home. There appears to be no doubt he was driving that car but I guess they can't give him a DUI since he was passed out outside with the driver side door opened. The Police Cam video was released yesterday evening by a Cincy TV station.
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 06-16-2016 08:01 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw it was on KSR this morning, but didn't watch it.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 06-16-2016 08:29 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree that he put himself in a bade position and shouldn't have lost control. But, this is the times that we live in, where somebody is making a video and a TV station has no morals either by putting it on the air for ratings.
jerseycat
Player
Member # 9

posted 06-16-2016 10:01 AM      Profile for jerseycat   Email jerseycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After seeing the police dashcam video (are all violations released to TV stations?), this looks far more serious than I first thought. Thank goodness no one was injured/hurt. Derek looks to have been driving, pulled over, opened door and just fell out. Trust he gets himself together. As for his basketball, not sure what Coach Cal will do. Hope he is able to get back with the team. I like his game and we can use his help.

[ 06-16-2016, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: jerseycat ]

--------------------
UK Class of 1968

Posts: 1790 | From: Red Bank, NJ | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 06-16-2016 11:27 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would expect he will be suspended for a number of games at the start of the season.
Gunny
Player
Member # 2869

posted 06-16-2016 09:21 PM      Profile for Gunny   Email Gunny   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read where Louisville fans are all over this, oh yea, what ever happened with the investigation on Louisville buying hookers for under age recruiters? That sort of died out.

--------------------
USMC/Gunny

Posts: 332 | From: Elizabethtown Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-17-2016 09:53 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's amazing how the Cardinals can sweep so much corruption under the rug and it's never heard from again.

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 06-18-2016 07:22 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks like the governor is starting to take action. The UL president has resigned. You think he got a little push from the Gov?
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 06-18-2016 09:24 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not only did the president "offer to resign", but the governor fired the entire board (except for three -- the student rep, the staff rep, and the faculty rep). He will reduce the board down to 13 from over 20, and he will personally appoint the ten new board members.

That is a very, very dramatic move, and shows that the corruption was either starting at the top, or the board was so split that the were ineffective in dealing with it.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-19-2016 03:48 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good to see some action taken, have admire the Governor's action. He has some balls!

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 06-21-2016 07:20 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
Good to see some action taken, have admire the Governor's action. He has some balls!

I really don't like the Governor, especially when he cut funding for education. I don't know much about the running of UL, except for the scandal about the one sided deal that left the city in the hole regarding the YUM center that has been swept under the rug by those in power.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com