TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal's recruiting success at Kentucky

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal's recruiting success at Kentucky
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-10-2016 01:51 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kentucky is where Calipari has truly blossomed. Since becoming head coach of the Cats, he has become not just one of the best in the game today, but a legend, appearing in four Final Fours, winning a National Championship, being inducted into the basketball hall of fame, and earning himself a 30 For 30 film on ESPN.

Recruiting has been by far the largest factor to Calipari's success. While at Kentucky, he has become one of the greatest recruiters of all-time, if not the greatest. He has recruited 30 five-star players, he's pumped out multiple top-ranked recruiting classes, and not once at Kentucky has he had a single recruiting class that had fewer than two five-star recruits on it. Cal's recruiting ability has made him a top-tier coach, and has put him in the conversation with some of the greats.

Elite players want to play on an elite team

The best players in the nation see big things for themselves. In high school, they see state championships. In college, they see national championships and Naismith awards. In the NBA, they see MVPs and Finals victories. Calipari assures some of the best players in the country that they are going to have a very good shot at their college dreams by managing to bring a bunch of those young stars together.

When Cal assembles a team of five-star recruits, they're good enough to win a national title that everyone knows they want. Add on the media attention that Kentucky basketball gets already, and there is no limit to what the players could do in college. If one or two five-star prospects commit to Kentucky, it's more likely that a few others will follow them with championship dreams, giving the Cats not just top young talent, but an overflow of top young talent.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-14-2016 10:19 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IMO Cal by far is the best recruiter in college basketball and if his coaches ability matched his recruiting ability it's no telling how many NCAA titles he would have.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 06-15-2016 07:28 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
IMO Cal by far is the best recruiter in college basketball and if his coaches ability matched his recruiting ability it's no telling how many NCAA titles he would have.

Really ??!!
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 06-15-2016 10:28 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree cat. We should definayely have 2, if not 3. 2010 and 2015 we should have won. Before anyone says anything I am not saying we should get a new coach. I will definately take being in the conversation for a championship almost every year, over what we had with BCG. Just saying that 2010 and 2015 had a lot to do with coaching.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 06-15-2016 12:28 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I disagree with anyone's thinking that Calipari is not a top notch skill and game coach.

Calipari get's the best talent possible. Most of that talent declares for the draft after one year. If there was a two year rule, I believe Cal's teams would dominate more at tourney time, because they would have top talent and they would be more experienced.

What happened when he won the championship? He had a guard that nobody thought would leave and it left the team without a top PG.

Regardless of what we, the fans, want. The players can leave whenever they want. What is the alternative, recruit fewer elite players and more 4 year guys that will never make it to the pros?

Yes, Kentucky could and should have won more championships. That does not mean a coach is inferior to other coaches. It is about luck of the draw and luck in general at tourney time.

Even without the sex scandals, I wouldnt trade Cal for Pitino. I wouldn't trade Cal for any other coach, for that matter.

It will take Calipari leaving, for the Cal doubters (which I am surprised that there is even one) to grasp the effect that he has had at Kentucky. UK will be a good program when he leaves. It will not be great again, until they find another coach who has "It". I don't know any other coaches out there that has "it", but until they find that next one, UK will not be great again.

[ 06-15-2016, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 06-15-2016 04:46 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree we won't find another one like he for a while. However, I do put the blame on him for losing to WVA and also for losing to WI. Coaches are responsible for making timely decisions and I don't think Cal made the r8ight decisions in these two cases. Nobody is perfect, not even Cal.
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-15-2016 07:48 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, that's 2 titles that should have been ours.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com