TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Wynyard says playing for UK pushes him to another level

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wynyard says playing for UK pushes him to another level
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-03-2016 08:08 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
New Zealander Tai Wynyard says he received a crash course in basketball intensity in his first few months at Kentucky. He expects it to serve him well.

Link

[ 06-03-2016, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-05-2016 09:27 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Wynyard wants minutes at Kentucky he has to continue to improve.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 06-05-2016 10:46 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And after watching the 3 on 3 tournament, he really has a long way to go to be a factor for us at UK next season. He has size but does not possess a lot of athleticism or speed and is way behind the skill level of players of his size that have played high school basketball here in the states.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-05-2016 01:04 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can't teach speed which is really going to make his adjustment to college basketball awfully hard.

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 06-05-2016 06:24 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bruce, I watched his team lose to Qatar and Italy today and he really did not look like much of a basketball player to me. I saw little to no effort to rebound or play defense and he does not have much leaping ability or foot speed, two things that are needed desperately for college basketball. I am no talent scout but have seen some of the best high school players over over the past 50 years and he does not appear to me to have division one, Kentucky basketball skills or work ethnic. I sure hope I am wrong on my assessment of the young man and he makes me eat every word I have expressed about him since I first saw him play last summer in a regular high school all star game.

[ 06-05-2016, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 06-05-2016 09:43 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would say last year was a free ride but this year he will be yelled at a lot if he plays like that. Could be a transfer waiting to happen. [Confused]
Posts: 14165 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 06-06-2016 08:01 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

“He got better, but he has a ways to go. ... Eventually, Tai is going to be a good player here, but it will take him time. He’s not on the same path as some of these guys, but he’s physically tough and strong.”
quote:

That statement by Cal sums up everything I have been posting here since he arrived on campus. As short as our front line was this past season, Cal would have put him in had he had the skills to help the team. Hopefully he can work himself into a very good player during the next four years.

[ 06-06-2016, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 06-06-2016 09:53 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Could be another Willis type player. He has some very good guys ahead of him right now and it will be up to him if he decides to compete with them. Hope he becomes a good one by March.
Posts: 14165 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-07-2016 06:25 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As a freshman Willis played 39 minutes and played in 14 games, as a sophomore he played 75 minutes and played in 19 games. Last year Willis played in 32 games and averaged 18.6 minutes a game.

[ 06-08-2016, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 06-10-2016 09:01 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We hear people talking about Cal only getting one and done players. Then, when Cal takes a 4 year kid, it seems like people think he should transfer for playing time or that he just isn't good enough to be on the team.

I do think that those 4 year guys get better by practicing against the future NBA guys. Jorts would not have had the few years on those NBA teams, had he not had the Greek guy to play against in practice. Had Kanter been elligible, he would not have gotten to play as much in games, but he would still have been as good.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 06-10-2016 01:34 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yea ulis was a 4 yr player remember?

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com