TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Tai Wynyard???

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tai Wynyard???
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 06-03-2016 11:22 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I watched the 2 games that NZ played against the Phillipine and Spain teams yesterday in the 3X3 championships. I wasn't all that impressed with his play. He did make 12 and 8 shots in those games and they won both games but most of his shots were dunks or layups. I don't believe his jumping ability is all that good because he got stuffed several times and his passing and ball handling wasn't that good either. Maybe he'll be better when he gets in a real 5 on 5 contest. Hope so.
Posts: 14157 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 06-03-2016 03:24 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think anyone used the word "athletic" to describe Wynard's game. "Strong" maybe, but I wouldn't expect him to have much of a vertical game.

He reminds me of Rob Lock, or Josh Harrelson. He could be a serviceable big man, but not the focus of your inside game. That said, there is usually room on a team for a big, strong guy in the paint.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13621 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 06-03-2016 03:27 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw him play last summer against Australia and was very suprised Cal had given him a scholorship to UK. He does have good size, appears to be a very fine young man but I doubt he will ever be an NBA player or see a lot of minutes as a member of our UK basketball team. I too am wathing the 3 on 3 games and feel like Bama does when it comes to his basketball skills.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 06-03-2016 06:38 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would have thought after a year scrimmaging against our guys he would have been better. He is still young and once he gets on the floor in a real game we will see.
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 06-04-2016 02:27 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I watched the 3-on-3 matchup with the Philippines. He was unstoppable, although the other team didn't have anyone of comparable size. He did a great job sealing his man on his hip and then used a soft touch to score. I didn't check the stats, but he had to have more than half of his team's points. He even drained the only 3-pointer he took.

I liked his game. If (and that is a BIG if) he can do the same against SEC-caliber post players, he will definitely play. He isn't athletic like WCS or Davis, but he has a good post game. He could grow into the type of big, strong, efficient post player that Cal saw in Townes.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 06-04-2016 07:11 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I watched him against Hungary today and he was about 6 to 8 inches taller than his defender and had little to no problems in that game. I still am not impressed with his basketball skills but hope he can contribute while at UK. I like his size and bulk but feel his talent level is way behind that of most American players his size.

[ 06-04-2016, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 06-05-2016 08:51 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just watched two more of his games, against Qatar and Italy and both were pretty bad losses. He was little to no factor in either of these games. The more I see of him in this competetion, the less impressed I am with his game.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 06-05-2016 08:51 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He looks like he could become another like Harrellson was by his senior year.
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 06-05-2016 09:19 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wait... Qatar has a basketball team?

And they won?

Egads. The world never fails to amaze me.

[Big Grin]

Regarding Wynard, he has limited athleticism, but makes decent use of his size and strength. He seems to have some old-school post moves in his repertoire, and has a soft touch around the rim. I guess I just see more upside to him than you all do (maybe I just watched the wrong games). I do think that he could be a Locke/Harrelson/Pope kind of center -- good at setting picks and screens, decent rebounder, space-eater, and can score in the paint when necessary. I doubt he will ever be the number one option/focus of our offense, but if he can master the pick-and-roll and give us the occasional post-up option, then he will play.

All of that, of course, depends upon his ability to play defense. That is really hard to judge in a 3-on-3 game, so I will reserve my opinion on that until I see him play 5-on-5.

[ 06-05-2016, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

mr_ukkid
Player
Member # 2304

posted 06-21-2016 12:56 PM      Profile for mr_ukkid   Email mr_ukkid   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope he doesn't turn out to be another SKAL for us. We need a dominate big man.

--------------------
"The point of coaching is to win Championships" --- John Calapari
mrukkid@gmail.com

Posts: 2265 | From: Wildcat in Buckeye Country! | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-21-2016 01:55 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope fans don't expect to much from Wynyard as even though he is big he also is not quick of foot and doubt he will be as talented as Skal. Hope I am wrong but only time will tell.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com