TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Matthews Transfer

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Matthews Transfer
BluesClues
Player
Member # 2737

posted 05-18-2016 10:26 AM      Profile for BluesClues     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Charles Matthews is transferring....does this open door for both Lee to return and Bolden to attend?

--------------------
http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad31/seabirdfan/?action=view¤t=BlueAvatar.jpg

Posts: 51 | From: Erlanger, KY (Northern, KY) | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
ProBlue
Player
Member # 2944

posted 05-18-2016 10:52 AM      Profile for ProBlue   Email ProBlue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Didn't see that coming. I saw him as a 4 year player.

--------------------
ProBlue

Posts: 737 | From: Bristol,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-18-2016 10:58 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He will be better off and will get some quality minutes for the right team. Wish him well...

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 05-18-2016 11:09 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He could most likely read the writing on the wall. Playing time will be at a premium this season.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-18-2016 12:05 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last season Matthews started 3 games, played in all 36 games, and averaged just over 10 minutes a game.

--------------------

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-18-2016 12:13 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Matthews is the 5th player under Cal to transfer from UK.

"This was a difficult decision for me, but at the end of the day I felt like it was in my best interest to explore other options," Matthews said Wednesday. "I appreciate the support coach [John Calipari] has given me in making this decision and the commitment the coaching staff made to me for this past season and beyond. Kentucky will always hold a special place in my heart."

Matthews was ranked 59th in the Class of 2015, according to 247 Sports, which made him the rare non-top 50 prospect to enroll at Kentucky under Calipari. Consequently, the odds were forever going to be stacked against him receiving meaningful minutes. The 6-foot-6 guard averaged only 1.7 points and 1.6 rebounds in 10.3 minutes per game as a freshman. On paper, there's no reason to think he would've played more next season.

UK has given Matthews a full release with no restrictions. He's just the fifth player to transfer from UK in Calipari's seven seasons. The others are Darnell Dodson, Stacey Poole, and Kyle Wiltjer.

Link

--------------------

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-18-2016 12:28 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Surprised me also. May be the best for the player and the team as well.
Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-18-2016 12:57 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A very smart decision. The only thing is we look a little like Duke now. That was a nasty statement that came out of my mouth. Personally I don't think Cal should sign anyone below a #30 overall rating except for a Kentucky player. When he does very few of them get much PT. Just my thought. Now we have 13 on scholarship including Floreal who could be moved off as a student of the track coach. I would say that Bolden has a scholarship now. Strange how if Lee or Briscoe were to stay in the draft we would have 12 or 11 scholarship players. We could potentially go into the season with Bolden and still have an available scholarship left. My thought is that both guys will return to UK although Lee seems to want to play in the D league if he isn't drafted.

[ 05-18-2016, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14120 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 05-18-2016 01:45 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought I heard something about him having some kind of injury that slowed him down at the end of the season. Anyone else hear that?
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-18-2016 04:06 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Matthews had a minor hip injury that probably caused him problems most of the season. Note the attached article dated May 3rd.

Last week, Kentucky freshman guard Charles Matthews posted a picture on Instagram of him laying in a hospital bed following minor surgery.

UK coach John Calipari followed that up with a tweet wishing him a speedy recovery.

Matthews' mother, Nichole Matthews, tells CatsPause.com her son underwent a minor, outpatient procedure on his hip.

"It was a minor procedure right around the hip area," Matthews said. "Just some muscles that needed to be repaired."

Link

--------------------

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 05-18-2016 04:47 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hate to see that. I really like Matthews. I think he has an opportunity to be a great player. I love his energy and athleticism.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11532 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 05-18-2016 05:21 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last year he couldn't shoot and he couldn't finish at the rim. I hate to see him go, but I don't think he's got the talent of a standard Calipari recruit. I wish him well wherever he goes.
Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 05-18-2016 06:30 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hate to see him go. I really thought he could be a solid 4 year player. Someone that could come in give good energy, play great defense, and help board. He could have been a Darius Miller type player in year 3 and 4. Maybe not with the same 3 point shot though.
Posts: 5420 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-18-2016 08:53 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal does go out and gets a kid early on that is not that good a lot of the seasons.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-19-2016 10:49 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm looking for Matthews to go out and sign with a school in the Illinois area as close to home (Chicago) as possible. I wish him a good 3 years, and who knows, he may end up like Wiltjer. He could thrive under the right program.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-19-2016 11:25 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Matthews is one of only four players that played in every game last year. He is a strong defensive player and is going to make some college team very happy and wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't a NBA draft choice after he finishes his college carrier.

--------------------

uncSUCKS
Player
Member # 2148

posted 05-19-2016 02:49 PM      Profile for uncSUCKS   Email uncSUCKS   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Matthews was one of my favorite players. Loved his athleticism and energy. He could have developed into a really good player but I understand why he wanted to leave

--------------------
"God is great, beer is good.....and people are crazy!"

Posts: 3241 | From: stuck in the land of the tarhole ! | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com