TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Lady Cats in trouble/losing players like crazy

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lady Cats in trouble/losing players like crazy
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 04-26-2016 07:24 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From KSR:

quote:

The hits keep coming to UK Hoops… Lindsey Corsaro, a five-star guard and 2016 McDonald’s All-American, has backed out of her commitment to the University of Kentucky. The Indianapolis native committed to the Wildcats in May of 2014, but will reopen her recruitment to other programs, according to a report. Alright that’s enough. It’s time we hear from Matthew Mitchell. Fans deserve an explanation. That’s now four people distancing themselves from UK Hoops this week and it’s only Tuesday afternoon. At this rate he will be standing in any empty locker room trying to coach three or four chairs and a towel rack by Friday. He can’t stay quiet any longer, pretending this isn’t outrageous. Something’s going on and it needs to be addressed.
quote:

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-26-2016 08:38 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're absolutely right. I had already wondered why we lost those other girls as last season was starting. We must have big problem with that many leaving.
Posts: 14132 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-26-2016 11:14 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have heard that Matthew Mitchell is holding a press conference tomorrow at 1:30 pm.

We also lost an assistant coach today.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2229 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-26-2016 11:19 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Uh oh! I hate to see this because the cats were climbing in status for several years. I hope it's not as bad as it looks.
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-27-2016 12:25 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Press conference info at end of the story:

Click Here

This article also includes more bad news that I had thought:

quote:
If that isn’t bad enough, prized recruits Lindsey Corsaro and Madison Treece have decommitted in the past two days. Both players are rated as top 100 recruits with Corsarao being considered a 5-star guard.

[ 04-27-2016, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: GA Cat ]

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2229 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 04-27-2016 05:03 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Something is just not right within the ladies program. Mitchell lost three players that would have been on this year't team prior to the start of the season and now these four, one of which is his number on incoming recruit. It will be interesting to see what he has to say in his press conference today. To lose 7 players within a one year span tells you that all is not right within the ladies basketball program. He only had 8 players on his roster for this past season and one of them announced as soon as the season was over that she was going to some other school to finish her one year of eligibility. She was the big white girl, about six five who could barely walk and chew gum so her loss is no big problem because she rarely ever played, even with his very short bench.

You are not talking about players that are not starters or get little to no playing time, with his 8 person roster there should have been many minutes for all. I know the Camara girl who was a freshman from NY started and played really well, she will be missed next year. It is highly unusual for any program to have this many unhappy players within a one year period, all is not well in UK women's basketball and it has to be something to do with the coaching staff. Mitchell is a good coach but he is so full of himself it isn't even funny. He has done a good job fo UK up till now, we may never know what caused the walls to come tumbling down around him.

Corsarao was his number one recruit coming in for next season.

[ 04-27-2016, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 04-27-2016 06:48 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I doubt anyone tells the truth about what is happening. It would have to come from a player that left. I wouldn't begin to speculate what the issues are. I don't really care about any of the other UK sports, except for Footbal and mens basketball. But, seeing as how the Women's head coach is making a pretty respectable salary and that anything that happens with that program is a direct reflection on the university, I am interested when things like this go on.

This could turn real ugly or it could all be kept quiet and everyone will keep their mouth shut. There just isn't that much turnover in a program without something major going on.

Personally, I don't care if the women win or lose. I do not, however, want to see their program give the University a black eye.

UK managed to keep another head coach of the women's program out of the news. At least it didn't involve the players directly. But, with this situation, when a lot of players and recruits are bailing out, there has to be something going on.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 04-27-2016 07:01 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I follow all UK sports except Soccer and Tennis. I watched almost all of the ladies games this year and am now watching the ladies softball team which is ranked 11th in the Nation. I don't want any bad things to happen to any of our programs, want them all to be very successful, regardless if it is a major sport or a minor sport. I am about all things UK. I watch a ton of UK sports on my Watch ESPN app.
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 04-27-2016 07:45 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Noting wrong with liking a lot of different sports. I am sure if I watched UK baseball, It would hold my interest for a game, but that would most likely be it.

If they dropped the goal down to 8.5 feet and they dunked on each other, I might get into womens basketball more.

Even though the NBA has the most talented players in the world on the court, I rarely watch them.

Not sure if Tennessee womens basketball still makes money, but it used to. Maybe UCons womens team does? But, I would venture to guess, that all the other womens teams for all the other universities are a drain on them financially.
Nothing wrong with paying market price for good women's coaches, if you want to have a successful team, as long as your institution can afford it. I do think UK's women's coach makes a decent salary. If he ended up being a casualty, I would be that they would be able to get another competitive coach fairly easily. Not saying that he will be gone.

Just look at Duke's Lacrosse team that had the rape scandal. It ended up being false, but I would guess it still cost the school legal fees and damaged their reputation. There is no way a lacrosse team is going to make money. But they can have a huge impact in the other direction, if bad things happen.

I am interested in seeing how this plays out for the UK women hoops team. I just hope it is not something major that stays in the media forever.

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-27-2016 08:19 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
None of us know what the problem is yet but we can all speculate and we definitely wonder what has happened to a program that was climbing. Now that a coach has been involved and someone who was just getting ready to enter the program backs out, I have jumped on the first thing that comes to mind, sexual orientation? That is the one thing that is causing divisiveness in our society now and maybe it is not that. Favoritism and PT is another area that could cause problems and the third thing in my mind is language used by the coaching staff. These are only guesses but I guess we'll all know this afternoon.
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 04-27-2016 10:15 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or, they may say they can't divulge what is going on.

Remember Billy Clyde? All we knew about him was that he was a drunk and a womanizer. We didn't really know how bad he was treating the players, until he left. Then the crazy stories came out.
The only player that publicly stated that he liked Billy Clyde was Meeks, because he had the green light to shoot all the time.

There are stories that surface about some people that get out, but are never aired in the press. Then, it depends on who your source is, to decide if you think it is true or not.

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 04-27-2016 10:52 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have no idea what is going on with the woman's basketball program but anytime you lose seven players in a matter of 9 months, you have some major problems that need to be addressed.
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 04-27-2016 02:49 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now he has another assistant coach who is leaving. That is 3. Yes, his program is falling apart.
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 04-27-2016 03:30 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I listened to his news conference today on the subject and he said exactly nothing other than he was in charge and it was his fault, no reason why so many defections etc. Sounded like a politician with his answers, never really gave a sound answer to any of the media questions. He now has 7 players to start next season with, that is pitiful for a university like Kentucky.
bigbluerev
Player
Member # 1633

posted 04-27-2016 03:33 PM      Profile for bigbluerev     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting, for M Jones being such an "insider", he sure hasn't been able to find much out about a huge story. Doesn't give you much confidence in what he knows about recruits

--------------------
Personal Responsibility - stop looking to the government or anyone else to take care of you. www.GodMakesSense.com www.RefreshingRain.com

Posts: 1806 | From: Cold Spring, KY | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 04-27-2016 03:45 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bigbluerev:
Interesting, for M Jones being such an "insider", he sure hasn't been able to find much out about a huge story. Doesn't give you much confidence in what he knows about recruits

Recruits are one thing, the inner workings of a program is a whole other ball of wax. If the head coach isn't talking, we will have to wait for one of the players to talk. The ex assistants usually keep their mouths shut.
uncSUCKS
Player
Member # 2148

posted 04-27-2016 03:54 PM      Profile for uncSUCKS   Email uncSUCKS   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We're also talking about women's basketball. Doubt anyone on here can name one of our recruits. Heck, I only know one player, Epps and that's because her pops played here.
Not that I don't pull for them but I really could care less. Hope that doesn't come off wrong...

--------------------
"God is great, beer is good.....and people are crazy!"

Posts: 3241 | From: stuck in the land of the tarhole ! | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 04-27-2016 04:12 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I may be the only one that knows or knew the names of all the players, where they were from etc. I watched many of the lady cats games and have been a fan of ladies basketball for many years. I am the same way by the ladies softball team, ladies volley ball team etc.
bigbluerev
Player
Member # 1633

posted 04-27-2016 04:19 PM      Profile for bigbluerev     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Recruits are one thing, the inner workings of a program
If he has people on the inside, he should be able to get info on just about anything.

Point is, he doesn't have people on the inside. His stuff is simply regurgitated from what he and his "writers" find on Twitter, Facebook, and other Internet sources - same stuff anyone else can find.

--------------------
Personal Responsibility - stop looking to the government or anyone else to take care of you. www.GodMakesSense.com www.RefreshingRain.com

blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 04-27-2016 05:38 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the past 5 years, I really tried to watch the lady cats because they were on the upswing and been a consistent top 25 team. But recently I've lost interest because it's almost the same 4 teams to make the final four and to be more exact, it's UCONN winning every year. Its amazing how all the nations top talent goes to the same 2-4 schools. No parity at all.
Posts: 1495 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-27-2016 06:35 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bigblue said "Interesting, for M Jones being such an "insider", he sure hasn't been able to find much out about a huge story. Doesn't give you much confidence in what he knows about recruits"

Matt Jones asked the hard questions it was Michell not answering them. Go over to KSR and you can either read the questions asked or listen. Your choice.

MJ is an insider but no one is talking!

[ 04-27-2016, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-27-2016 06:59 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have been following them for maybe 3 years now because I have worked some of their games for the past couple years. I can't pull up their names but I know the girl in the center who came in this year as a junior and plays a great game, and we have the great shooting white girl from the mountains. With him giving no answers except he is taking the blame I am feeling it is a big problem and I can only make a guess, which I hope isn't the reason. My thoughts still bring up sexual orientation and it might involve a female coach. Possibly the girls who left at the beginning of the season and the one who was coming in found out about this and left. Hope I am wrong and maybe it's much simpler than this. Our coach is only making it worse by not revealing it because we all know it will eventually come out. Better to get it in the open and deal with it and move. I know I wouldn't want the NCAA to come in and try to find something they can chew on.
bigbluerev
Player
Member # 1633

posted 04-27-2016 09:57 PM      Profile for bigbluerev     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doing an interview is far different than being an insider. MJ does not have any significant connections on the inside of the UK athletic dept.

--------------------

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-28-2016 01:10 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just curious - how do you know this?

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 04-28-2016 07:18 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Doing an interview is far different than being an insider. MJ does not have any significant connections on the inside of the UK athletic dept.

The above post has to be true, because the poster is related to the athletic dircetor's cousin, twice removed.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-28-2016 07:54 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
bigbluerev
Player
Member # 1633

posted 04-28-2016 09:30 AM      Profile for bigbluerev     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just curious - how do you know this?
As I explained in another post I do know people with both the football and basketball program. I will not ask them things about players,coaches, etc because they are held responsible for keeping things internal and I respect that and more importantly I respect them. "Journalists" and others are fair game though.

In addition, as I mentioned in the other post as well, I know Matt Jones through various business dealings in Lexington.

--------------------

bigbluerev
Player
Member # 1633

posted 04-28-2016 09:37 AM      Profile for bigbluerev     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The above post has to be true, because the poster is related to the athletic dircetor's cousin, twice removed.
No I have only met Mitch Barnhart through CSF (Christian Student Fellowship) and wouldn't say that I know him. Two of my sons know him a little bit better, but I really don't know him or anyone related to him.

Oh wait, you were being sarcastic.

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 04-28-2016 10:20 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
No I have only met Mitch Barnhart through CSF (Christian Student Fellowship) and wouldn't say that I know him. Two of my sons know him a little bit better, but I really don't know him or anyone related to him.

Oh wait, you were being sarcastic.

Church isn't the only place to hear the latest gossip, true or exaggerated. There are plenty of Kentucky fans who have connections and hear "the real story", but can't divulge it because they would break the trust of their source.

Also, the same applies to those in the media. They may be told things in confidence in order for them to be steered in the right direction of their investigation. They may be privy to the answer, but can't divulge it until a different source is named.

bigbluerev
Player
Member # 1633

posted 04-28-2016 11:43 AM      Profile for bigbluerev     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Church isn't the only place to hear the latest gossip, true or exaggerated.
I have no idea what you are talking about with this statement. Do you even know what you are saying here?

The only thing even remotely close to "church" that I wrote in my post was a mention of of CSF. In that mention I pointed out that I didn't know Mitch Barnhart and had only met him through CSF. This was a response to your snide remark that my information went back to some distant connection to Mitch Barnhart. My comment, on the contrary, was to demonstrate that I do not know Mitch Barnhart or frankly anyone related to him.

Maybe you need to slow down when you read things and not look for words that trigger a negative response like Christian, etc

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 04-28-2016 01:47 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Church isn't the only place to hear the latest gossip, true or exaggerated.
I have no idea what you are talking about with this statement. Do you even know what you are saying here?

The only thing even remotely close to "church" that I wrote in my post was a mention of of CSF. In that mention I pointed out that I didn't know Mitch Barnhart and had only met him through CSF. This was a response to your snide remark that my information went back to some distant connection to Mitch Barnhart. My comment, on the contrary, was to demonstrate that I do not know Mitch Barnhart or frankly anyone related to him.

Maybe you need to slow down when you read things and not look for words that trigger a negative response like Christian, etc

Of course I know what I posted, are you aware of what you are typing? Sorry I didn't expand the definition of "church" to include all the off shoots of religious organizations, clubs, charities, and social networks.

Usually people get offended for leaving them out of the "church" umbrella, not the other way around.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com