TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Memphis hires Tubby Smith

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Memphis hires Tubby Smith
ProBlue
Player
Member # 2944

posted 04-14-2016 12:17 PM      Profile for ProBlue   Email ProBlue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25554203/memphis-hires-tubby-smith-away-from-texas-tech

Gary Parrish
College Basketball Insider
Follow Gary
Memphis hires Tubby Smith away from Texas Tech
April 14, 2016 8:13 am ET

Texas Tech coach Tubby Smith has emerged as a candidate for the opening at Memphis. (USATSI) Tubby Smith is the new head coach at Memphis. (USATSI)

Memphis has reached an agreement in principle to hire Texas Tech's Tubby Smith as its next coach, a source told CBS Sports early Thursday.

A formal announcement is expected soon.

Smith, 64, was offered the Memphis job Wednesday morning, a source told CBS Sports. But sources said Texas Tech quickly counter-offered with a huge raise and extension, which caused Smith to at least think everything through. Ultimately, though, he realized it's much easier to win consistently at Memphis than it is at Texas Tech, a source said. So the likely future Hall of Famer agreed to fill the opening previously held by Josh Pastner.

Pastner left Memphis last week to coach Georgia Tech.

Smith spent three seasons at Texas Tech. He's guided five different schools to the NCAA Tournament -- most notably Kentucky. He won a national title at UK in 1998.

--------------------
ProBlue

Posts: 746 | From: Bristol,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 04-14-2016 12:27 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am surprised that they hired Tubby. If he can hire some assistants who can recruit, he can do okay. Will be interesting to see ho he does.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-14-2016 01:18 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tubby's now gonna take his sixth team to the NCAA tournament. Good for him.
Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 04-14-2016 01:53 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I were Memphis, I would hire an up and coming head coach from a smaller conference.

As far at Tubby making the tourney, sure he can get them in. Will his teams be a contender? Hasn't happened since he left Kentucky. I don't see it happening now. I guess it depends on what a particular school's definition of success is, on what kind of coach they want to hire. Do they want to just make tournament appearances or do they want to make final fours?

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
uncSUCKS
Player
Member # 2148

posted 04-14-2016 03:04 PM      Profile for uncSUCKS   Email uncSUCKS   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that was a great hire for Memphis. No way they were going to get a big name and if he will get as assistant in who can recruit he can do big things. I'd say they are a shoe in for the tournament.

--------------------
"God is great, beer is good.....and people are crazy!"

Posts: 3241 | From: stuck in the land of the tarhole ! | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-14-2016 03:21 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would think Memphis just making the tourney every year would be a success. Once in, just about any team has a chance to make the sweet 16. Memphis in the sweet 16 every few years would be huge for that school.
Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-15-2016 02:45 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tubby has 557 NCAA wins to his credit, 18 times in the NCAA tournament with a 30-17 record is awfully good resume.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com