TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal's ejection turns out to be a positive for the Cats

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal's ejection turns out to be a positive for the Cats
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-13-2016 04:44 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Less than 2 1/2 minutes in Saturday’s game at South Carolina, Kentucky coach John Calipari was finished. He got two technical fouls after a foul call on South Carolina and was ejected just like it was two years ago in Columbia.

This time, though, it didn’t matter as UK rolled to a stunning 89-62 victory over the Gamecocks.

So did Calipari’s ejection set the tone for the big win?

“I thought that when Coach got kicked out – whatever, for the officiating, whatever that was – I thought it set a fire within our guys. I thought they played with, you try to take one of our guys out, we’re coming out and we’re gonna play with more energy, more effort,” assistant coach Kenny Payne said. “We’re gonna fight more, which is what we should be doing anyway. But again, the story isn’t someone else coaching the team. The story is Coach Cal coached the team through Tyler Ulis.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186358 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-13-2016 05:18 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catmandoo:
The story is Coach Cal coached the team through Tyler Ulis.”
Now THERE is a Hell of a statement!

[ 02-13-2016, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Old Norm ]

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-13-2016 07:47 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This was a victory by a bunch of players that were not going to be denied and they played great from the tip-off till the final buzzer. To win like that away from home against a 21-3 team without their coach was one heck of a accomplishment.

--------------------

Posts: 186358 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-13-2016 10:24 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The announcers were saying that the 3 coaches were coaching the defense and Tyler was coaching the offense. Right now I would say that if Tyler keeps this up through the rest of the season he may work himself into a first round pick in the draft. There is no doubt that he can play in the NBA. The better he plays the higher he will move.
Posts: 14128 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-14-2016 09:54 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree Bama, if a NBA team is looking for a savvy point guard that plays solid and is a coach on the floor Ulis is their man.

--------------------

Gunny
Player
Member # 2869

posted 02-14-2016 08:55 PM      Profile for Gunny   Email Gunny   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope Coach Cal notices that they play better when he's not on the sideline screaming and acting like a mad man. I have no ideal how they can relax and play when ever move they make they have to look to the bench or try to figure out what he's yelling.

--------------------
USMC/Gunny

Posts: 332 | From: Elizabethtown Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-14-2016 09:21 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is laughable that anyone could think that the team playing better after Cal was tossed is a negative reflection on the coach! Anyone who believes in a theory like that must have never been a major contributor on a sports team and therefore wouldn't understand what it means to be a part of a team.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-15-2016 08:48 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know how they found out but the channel 18 news last night says Cal planned the ejection to get his team to play with more spirit. When I look back at the video of the game I don't really see a big bunch of fouling by SC on the play that got Cal so upset. My thoughts when he went berserk was why is he getting so upset? I'm going to disagree with those who think it wasn't planned but we'll just have to agree that we disagree.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-15-2016 09:31 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, if Calipari did do it to get his players to play with more spirit why would he come out and tell them and the world after the fact? I sure can see him doing it but sure can't believe he would come back and tell them they were duped.

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-15-2016 09:43 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Cats have really jelled the last three games, Cal did not mean to get thrown out of the game regardless of what some think. He now has the team playing the way he wants them too, he would never walk away from that intentionally, especially when he is playing for first place in the league.

The last time Cal got ejected from a game was when they played South Carolina in Columbia in 2014, quite a coincidence.

[ 02-15-2016, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-15-2016 10:58 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think part of it is because USC plays like a bunch of thugs. For the life of me, I can't figure out why the officials let them get away with it. After all, they aren't Dook!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-15-2016 11:23 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They do get away with a lot of pushing and shoving and what I consider dirty basketball. Carerra might be the dirtiest player in all of college basketball.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-15-2016 11:41 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ray, One of these games Carerra is going to pull one of his dirty plays against the wrong dude and he is going to be on the floor looking up with stars in his eyes.

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-15-2016 12:36 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Living here in SC I see most of their games and he is consistently pushing and shoving for rebounds etc. He seems to get away with it a lot more when they are at home than he does when they are on the road. I saw a road game last week and he had two fouls in the first four minutes of the game and had to sit out the first half.
Ol' Blue
Player
Member # 2317

posted 02-15-2016 12:38 PM      Profile for Ol' Blue   Email Ol' Blue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gunny, the time to worry is when the coach quits yelling at you. It means he has given up and no longer cares to try to teach. I for one have no problem with Cal's sideline demeanor. He is passionate and wants his players to be successful. I think if he had a junior and senior laden team he would be more relaxed. There is just not enough time to teach freshmen all they need to know and no way to simulate real games in practice. SO he must teach in game. JMHO

--------------------
Number nine will be divine!!

A man needs something to believe in.........I believe I'll have another beer!

Posts: 2274 | From: Roanoke, TX | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-15-2016 01:10 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wish the ESPN director of camera shots would know which camera he needs to select at what time. After looking at the first 3 minutes again they kept the shot on the SC bench while Cal was getting his first technical. Do you think they did that purposely? All they are willing to show us is when Cal walked up to the scorers table to tell the zebra something and all hell broke loose. Another time something was going on the floor and they kept it on the SC coach at the bench for almost a half minute. I get so torqued when the announcers ramble on about some garbage when I'm wanting to know who got the foul or something important in the game action or they come back from a replay and miss everything that led up to a basket or a foul except the final 1 or 2 seconds. But I guess I'm a chronic complainer so what difference does it make? [Confused]
Ol' Blue
Player
Member # 2317

posted 02-15-2016 03:08 PM      Profile for Ol' Blue   Email Ol' Blue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree wholeheartedly Bama Cat. What were they thinking? Terible camera work only outdone by the announcers, well maybe the officials. How tough could it be? Follow the game with the camera and talk about the game in front of you. No wonder ESPN's numbers are nose diving.

[ 02-15-2016, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Ol' Blue ]

--------------------
Number nine will be divine!!

A man needs something to believe in.........I believe I'll have another beer!

Posts: 2274 | From: Roanoke, TX | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-15-2016 04:44 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have felt all along that the ESPN coverage of college basketball this season has been the worst ever. Too much talking, even when live action is going on on the floor etc. Between ESPN and the way they are officiating the college game, they are not doing the game, players or coaches any favors.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com