TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal to have a discussion wth Wynyard this week-end

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal to have a discussion wth Wynyard this week-end
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-12-2016 07:36 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UK Coach John Calipari said Friday that he likely will have a discussion about redshirting with freshman power forward Tai Wynyard during this weekend’s road trip to South Carolina.

Wynyard — a 6-foot-10, 255-pound player — joined the team as a mid-season enrollee after graduating from high school in New Zealand in December but has not yet played in a game. His absence in the past two games specifically — while senior forward Alex Poythress has been sidelined — is another sign that he might not yet be ready for game action.

Fellow freshman big man Isaac Humphries has played an average of 14.5 minutes in those two games.

“We’ll probably sit down and talk here on the way to South Carolina,” Calipari said Friday. “I’m not sure he wants to redshirt. I think he does. But we haven’t really talked about it. I was going to put him in the game and I kind of looked, like, ‘You don’t want to go in, do you?’

“But he’s doing fine in practice. I think he’s looking at Isaac saying, ‘Right now I know I’m behind Isaac and why do it?’ But there’s so many things that could happen between now and the end of the year.”

Scout.com national analyst Evan Daniels has told the Herald-Leader that Wynyard would have been considered a top-50 recruit in the class of 2015 if international players were eligible for those rankings.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-12-2016 07:40 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It seems a bit strange this would go public before taking to Wynyard first.

--------------------

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-12-2016 09:13 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal does a lot of strange things. That's normal for him.
Posts: 14119 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-13-2016 03:13 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I certainly do not know who does the rankings for Scout but there is no way Wynward would have been a top 50 recruit had he been playing in America. I have only seen him play one game and am basing my judgement on that. I have said all season long that I felt Wynyard would not play this season. I am like Bama, think that decision has already been made. Tuesday night would have been the perfect game to get him minutes were Cal planning on using him this season.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-13-2016 09:42 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw him play in a couple of games, and a few highlights from another. I think you might be underestimating him, SCWC.

He is a skilled inside player, able to bang, yet with some slippery post moves. He is NOT super athletic (no Davis, WCS, nor Lee), but he can get out on the break. His game reminds me a little of a mix of Lyles and Townes. I didn't get the impression that he has a reliable shot outside of 10' or so, but we'll see.

Would I place in in the top 50 of this year's freshmen class? Probably. Part of any player's worth is his competitiveness, his will to win. I don't think Wynard is looking to be 'the star', but to be a solid teammate and ultimate roll player. I think he brings all of that, along with that woodchopper strength and toughness, and a decent skillset.

BUT, I hope Cal doesn't call his name this year. After this half-year of practice, I think he will be a significant part of next year's team, even with all the talent coming in. He will be a veteran big man, without having ever played in a game, because he will have absorbed Cal's system and can help the newbies learn too.

[ 02-13-2016, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-13-2016 09:51 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
By the way, as way of anecdote, I play pick-up basketball 3 days a week at my college. I also participate in the intramural league on the faculty/staff team. So, I have played against some decent players.

A few years ago, a young couple came to our college from New Zealand to be interns, learning about how to manage a recreational program. Nice couple, and excellent basketball players. Nothing flashy, no behind-the-back dribbles, no no-look passes, no tomahawk dunks with the requisite posturing afterwards. We see that from our American kids all the time, but not the Kiwis. They played solid, fundamentally sound basketball. The young lady could hold her own against most men, and the young man was simply outstanding. I get the feeling that there is a stronger basketball tradition in New Zealand than we might think.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-13-2016 09:57 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It will be interesting to see how Wynyard's talk with Cal goes and what he does. If he is as good as advertised and works hard on his game over the summer would think he has a shot at a lot of playing time next season.

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-13-2016 09:59 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I did see him in 2 or 3 clips and I think all that was lacking when he arrived here was to learn the system and get experience. He is definitely an inside player although he can run. I still think Cal wants to save his eligibility and will keep him on the bench unless something very drastic happens. He is sort of an Ace in the hole and should get his share of time next year. We have all seen how someone may have great press clippings but when they arrive it takes longer to fit into the big picture than you would like. Wynyard is putting in his time now and should be ready to deliver next year when the time comes. We should be just about as strong as last years team when we had the two teams.
Posts: 14119 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-13-2016 11:00 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, that is so true and if we have another big go down like Poy did we have a great option in bringing in Wynyard. I don't know what the big deal in saving him however as if he is good as people say he will not be here for 4 years anyway.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com