TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » A Day with Dancing Guy”

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Day with Dancing Guy”
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 02-10-2016 07:51 PM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[Ed. Note: Two years ago, my husband found himself with an extra ticket to the UK/Vandy game at Memorial Gymnasium, and instead of selling it, he decided to give it Dancing Guy, who came to Nashville without a ticket in hopes of going to the game. He wrote about the experience at the time, and given all the discussion about Dancing Guy today, I thought it was worth sharing again, as is Mark Story’s profile of him from 2009.]

JANUARY 12, 2014

As Tyler and I headed to Corner Pub to pregame with UK fans before the Vanderbilt game a few weeks ago, little did I know fate was going to deliver upon me the chance to share the experience with UK fan legend “Dancing Guy,” aka Darren Moscoe.

My friend who was originally going to the game with me came down with the stomach flu and had to cancel at last minute, so I was stuck with an extra ticket in hopes of finding another fan willing to pay $40 for some cheap seats. As usual, Tyler had a press credential and Aaron Flener already had a ticket, but I was optimistic someone would be willing to join me on the wooden bleachers of Memorial Gym. As we pulled into the parking lot, who did we spot coming out of Corner Pub but the ever-enthusiastic Dancing Guy! Tyler even joked that I should give him the extra ticket. Should I?

Now, Dancing Guy and I have some history. Tyler’s parents have season tickets in Section 18 of Rupp, and he usually sits one row behind them, waiting anxiously for the second half TV timeout and Billy Idol’s “Mony Mony” to blast through the speakers. Whenever I sit in the Thompson family seats, I always capture his handrail sliding, stair-shimmying routine with my iPhone. He’s even hammed it up a bit more for me at times, knowing I am recording his, well, let’s say, “unique” dance routine. I was also lucky enough to be seated near him in the upper level during this year’s Big Blue Madness. The Big Blue gods clearly had a plan for us.

Back to Corner Pub. As we walked into the bar, we noticed Dancing Guy had already left, going from location to location, hoping to find a ticket to the game. He showed back up at Corner Pub in time for a quick interview with Jennifer Palumbo and to see if he won the raffle for free tickets. Knowing I couldn’t miss this opportunity, I approached Dancing Guy and asked if he was still looking for a ticket. He gave me some short blurb about not having enough money, being unemployed, or something to that effect. I told him I was a big fan, gave him my extra ticket with a handshake, and told him “See you at the game.”

Link

Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 02-10-2016 07:52 PM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Willis talkin bout.... February 10, 2016 at 2:08 pm | Permalink | Log in to reply.

Honestly, until the events of last night. I really didn’t know much about our “Dancing Guy” other than he seemed to be having a blast and his rail slides looked painful. So to me there were two blessings yesterday evening. One, nobody got hurt. Second, a vast majority of BBN is finally coming to understand a man that has become a staple at Rupp Arena. I can see how some viewed his dancing and antics as embarrasing, but now I hope many of us will view him in a very different light. He is as much a part of BBN as any of us and as much a part of Rupp Arena as Big Bertha. Wouldn’t be the same without him. Thanks to KSR for helping us get to know the man a little better! Do your thang Darren. Billy Idol would be proud!

Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com