TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Wildcats reach 3.0 cumulative GPA for the fall semester

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wildcats reach 3.0 cumulative GPA for the fall semester
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 12-28-2015 07:58 PM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The University of Kentucky’s athletic teams reached a 3.0 cumulative GPA for a seventh consecutive semester, when grades for the fall released. Scholarship Wildcats combined for a GPA of 3.149.

All but three of UK’s 20 teams hit the 3.0 mark, led by women’s tennis (3.712), women’s golf (3.639) and women’s swimming and diving (3.591). The men’s tennis team topped all men’s teams with a 3.455 GPA.

“I continue to be pleased by the way our students, coaches and staff have embraced the importance of academics to our overall mission,” Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart said. “The grades of our students reflect that commitment and I want to congratulate them for another semester of hard work.”

Link

Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-28-2015 08:09 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Barnhart does a great job heading up the Athletic Department.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-28-2015 09:00 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stressing Academics is what college athletics is all about!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123987 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-28-2015 09:01 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The biggest Percentage of these athletes will be going professional in something besides the sport they are playing!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-28-2015 09:23 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a grandson that is a tutor for the athletic department and he has helped tutor a number of athletes in the past 3 years.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-28-2015 09:25 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
These athletes spend so much time with their sport that it's tough for them to keep up their studies.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 12-28-2015 09:40 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THat C-A-T-S tutorial service is top of the line!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-28-2015 10:26 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UK's tutorial service is tops, no doubt about it and it's one reason why Kentucky athletes do so well with their grades.

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 12-29-2015 03:14 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I notice they did not list the GPA scores for either the basketball or football teams, wonder why??? They might be the teams that are among the three that did not make the 3.0GPA.

I am not a big Barnhart fan myself, recall that he and he alone hired Billy Gillispie to coach our basketball team. First basketball coach ever hired at UK by AD alone, no search committee and as we all know, that hire was a disaster. We get a good jump from those girls sports apparently, tennis, golf etc are more upper income type sports than many of the others at the college level. For them to have such high GPA averages means some of the teams were probably below the 3 point GPA.

[ 12-29-2015, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-29-2015 12:35 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ray, Here is some comforting information from the horses mouth. Reads like basketball grades are pretty darn good, however it doesn't say what course they were taking. [Wink]

“We’ve had 14 kids graduate in six years, three in three years,” Calipari said. “Now, you probably won’t put that in your story because it doesn’t fit Kentucky because we’ve had 26 pros in six years.

“We’ve had a grade point average over 3.0 for five years running,” the coach said. “Our APR was in the top 10 in the country, I think one of the only NCAA Tournament teams to do that. No waaaaay. Yeah, it was. Those are the numbers.”

For those scoring at home, the 14 players to graduate are Twany Beckham, Josh Harrellson, Ramon Harris, Jon Hood, Mark Krebs, Tod Lanter, Brian Long, Sam Malone, Darius Miller, Patrick Patterson, Jarrod Polson, Alex Poythress, Perry Stevenson and Eloy Vargas.

The 26 to enter the NBA are Patterson, Miller, Harrellson, Eric Bledsoe, DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Archie Goodwin, Terrence Jones, Enes Kanter, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Brandon Knight, Doron Lamb, DeAndre Liggins, Nerlens Noel, Daniel Orton, Julius Randle, Marques Teague, John Wall, James Young plus the seven anticipated from this year's 38-1 squad.

Some players, like Patterson and Poythress, complete their degrees before leaving Kentucky. Others return during the offseason.

Link

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 12-29-2015 01:13 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It appears that the only one Cal recruited that has graduated is Alex Poythress. I am happy to see our school turn out that kind of GPA but as we can all see, we get a huge boost from the three ladies teams that gives us a lot of leeway for below the three point GPA for football and basketball. I have a feeling that the men's tennis team, soccer etc are other sports that give our gpa average great boosts.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-02-2016 09:03 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The incentives of our one year super star players that pretty much know they are one and done just isn't there a lot of times. School work isn't a top priority and would bet it's tough to get them motivated when it comes to studies. The good thing is our athletic department keeps a eye on how they are doing in class and have student tutors to help them with their studies.

[ 01-02-2016, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com