TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Willis

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Willis
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 11-25-2015 09:36 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm a Willis fan and would like to see him get more playing time. I believe he is athletic enough to help this team. As I said in another thread, his minutes seem to be going down as the season progresses once again this year. I really believe he would start for almost any other program in the nation and be a major contributor.

I have to wonder if it would be in his best interest to transfer. I don't know the rules well enough to know if he could drop out now, set for a year, and have two years of eligibility left. My guess is probably not and if that is the case I think he is better off to stay at UK. I can not see him getting any more playing time next year with the class that is coming in.

I don't believe there is a conspiracy to not play someone who has the ability and desire to deserve more playing time on the part of the coaches. I trust Cal to put the best players on the floor to win.

After saying all that, I wonder if I would have the same concerns if a black kid named Willard from Chicago was in the same situation. I'd like to think so but if I'm honest, I have to wonder.

[ 11-25-2015, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5407 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-25-2015 09:54 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would be tough to transfer as Willis is a junior and would have only one year of eligibility. It wouldn't be surprising if he didn't get more playing time as the season progresses and by next season he could be a big part of the team. He is a great shooter for a 6'9" player, 45% from the field, 35% from the 3 point line and 4-4 on his free throws this season.
He just needs motivation and once he gets that he will improve even more.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 11-25-2015 10:00 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handy, I share your feelings, very strongly.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-25-2015 02:42 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From what I see out of Willis, my opinion is that he passes up wide open three point attempts that he should be taking and making. I am not the coach and am not privy to what the coach expects out of him. It just appears to me that he is hesitant to take his shots when he is open, opting to pass it off and then another player has to take the shot with the clock winding down. He seems to hustle and play defense.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 11-26-2015 09:53 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At times it looks like Willis is playing not to make mistakes rather than just letting the game come to him and using his athletic abilities to do the rest.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-26-2015 10:37 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SCWC:
At times it looks like Willis is playing not to make mistakes rather than just letting the game come to him and using his athletic abilities to do the rest.

Exactly. The young man just needs to play with confidence. I did see him look at the scorer's table, after a play didn't go his way, to see if he was going to have to sit down. He stayed in for a few more minutes.

He is a junior. Would like to see him get a chip on his shoulder and play like nobody is better than him. Some guys just have that trait. Tyler Ulis played like that as a true freshman. That is the reason he is so good. He has that attitude that nobody is better than him.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com