TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Poy "We got to learn to step on their throats"

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poy "We got to learn to step on their throats"
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-21-2015 03:45 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
“We as a team felt we should have played better. We kind of came out a little slow. We had the lead and then we kind of let it eat away. We gotta learn how to bury teams like we’ve done in the past couple years. We gotta learn how to step on their throats and just keep on fighting until the end of the game because you get a team like that—and they played good too, but when you give a team like that something to eat away in the last couple minutes. They hit a couple shots and then it’s a ballgame. So we just gotta do a better job of finishing out games, finishing out quarters, halves, stuff like that.”

Link

[ 11-21-2015, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 11-21-2015 04:07 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree totally with that assessment. I was somewhat disappointed in the effort I saw last night.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-22-2015 10:37 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hopefully they will learn and use that knowledge in future games. This team looks to have players that want to get better and would bet we will see improvement all season.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-22-2015 09:01 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't totally blame the boys for Friday night's game. Our offense never could get into any kind of flow because of the reach and grab style of defense that Wright State played!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-22-2015 09:57 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was a strange game in that we killed them on the boards, shot 20 more free throws than they did, shot 17% better from the field, 11 more boards, and we never could put the game away. They were a very well coached team that never seemed to be intimidated the whole game. They honestly played us almost as good as Duke and did it on our floor.

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 11-22-2015 10:01 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When they play these games for money they'll have to get used to the rough play. The other team is not supposed to win the game, just the money that goes with playing on our floor. We have to learn to play thru the roughness and make our free throws and we'll be better at putting the game out of reach.
Posts: 14173 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-23-2015 06:52 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If anyone has seen the NBA in the last 15 years, they only play hard nosed defense in the playoffs. The rest of the time it is matador defense.

With these young teams that Cal has every year, they will pay to the level of the opponent, the majority of the time.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-23-2015 10:34 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal undeniably seems to have the most talented team in the country most every year. This comes from the fact he is the best recruiter in the country and has been for almost his entire coaching career.

Cal only had one team since he has been here that didn't make it to the NCAA tournament, that was the 2012-2013 team that lost their first game in the NIT.

There is only one coach in history of Kentucky that ever made it to the NCAA tournament in double digit years in succession and that is Tubby Smith he made it every year he coached the Kentucky Wildcats, 10 straight years.

I think Cal is better than that and will get them playing hard no matter who they play. He should be used to having loads of talent and if he stays another 8 years he probably will surpass Tubby's all-time record.

--------------------

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 11-23-2015 11:12 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bruce it would be interesting to see the seeds each yr of Tubby's stint at Ky. Without a top 4 seed doubtful very unlikely the tourney can be won. Happens every once in a while but to me getting a 8 or 9 seed gives you almost no chance to win the whole thing..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-23-2015 12:39 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed, just trying to point out the consistency that Kentucky has had which has been one of the biggest things that has made Kentucky the best college basketball team in the country for all these years. Tubby, who everyone seems to rag on all the time, was the most consistent UK coachs. Making it the NCAA is a bench mark of a very good season. He was a coach that didn't need the best talent and could get the most out of his players. I honestly believe if he had been the recruiter Cal has been over the years, Tubby would have won at least 5 National Championships. He did a lot with minimal talent and did something no other Kentucky coach could do which I would hope Kentucky fans who are the most avid and loyal fans in the country would be proud of.

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-23-2015 01:18 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree that Tubby was a consistently good coach. I don't think anyone would disagree with that, one bit. But, why was Tubby hired in the first place? Was he an elite coach? What had he accomplished? He was a guy who had been on the Pitino staff and was the head coach of Georgia (a football school). He never should have been given the job. Billy Clyde really should have never been given the job and it is a wonder that the AD didn't get fired over it.

But, what do the fans and alumni want and expect from the basketball program that has such a rich history? They want final fours every season and teams that are in the hunt for championships. To get there on a consistent basis you have to have an elite coach. UK has that elite coach in Calipari.

When he retires, I don't see the dominance continuing. There is no young coach who is in waiting to become the next Calipari. When the time comes, will they look for somebody on Calipari's coaching tree? Or will they finally do the smart thing and take the best coach out there who has a good 15 or more years of coaching left in him and cold dominate, if he got the head coaching job that is the Rome of basketball.

I remember Joe Hall saying in an interview that a fan came up to him right after they won the title and asked him how good they were going to be the next year. It never stops at Kentucky. Settle for a good coach and get good results. Go after the best, and you still can't keep the fans happy, but you will go to plenty of final fours and win a few championships.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 11-23-2015 03:24 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bruce if Tubby had been half the recruiter as he was a x and o coach, he would have won a cpl more championships - he just didnt gett too involved in recruiting and didnt have a staff that could/would either..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com