TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal:"There's got to be 20 teams better than us right now"

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal:"There's got to be 20 teams better than us right now"
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-21-2015 10:02 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Forget thinking that only beating Wright State 78-63 was something that Kentucky coach John Calipari thinks could be good for his team.

“I want us to just keep climbing. We took a big step back. Guys didn't listen. We're doing certain things and they just kind of broke it off and did their own thing. In a league game, we lose. Not winning a league game playing the way we played,” said Calipari.

That’s a big of an embellishment considering the talent Kentucky has and the way teams in the SEC have already lost a lot of games. But he’s right. This was not the same team that easily handled Duke.

“Give Wright State credit. The things that they did, they played -- they put out a game plan, pack line defense, play some zone, spread the court, make them guard one-on-one. They're always going to have one or two guys that turn sideways and let you drive directly to the basket for a layup. Put Skal (Labissiere) in pick and rolls. He'll back away. I mean, it's pretty good game plan,” Calipari said.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 11-21-2015 02:29 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have been really disappointed in the play of Skal and Murray since the season started. Murray tends to be a wee bit selfish and Skal just can't post up and hold his position for the guards to get the ball to him in scoring position. Unless these two make major improvements, we are in for some tough games which could be losses down the road. I agree with Coach totally, the team that played last night looked nothing like the one that played the second half against Duke Tuesday nights. I felt Skal would be much readier for the college game than he has shown thus far, he certainly is not dominating and even remotely looking like the first player to be taken in the NBA draft next season. He is talented offensively but is not a shot blocker/rim protector type player and I fear he will never become that. I was very disappointed in the effort I saw last night, that team was mediocre and would not get a top twenty five vote from me were I a voter. We have some very good talent but I am still concerned about our front line play and have been since I saw them in the first scrimmage. They are at least 20 points behind where last year's team was at this juncture of the season offensively and 30 points behind them defensively.

[ 11-21-2015, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-21-2015 02:45 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SCWC > You are disappointed with the play of the freshman? Wow!

I am just the opposite. I am impressed with the play of the freshmen. They are very talented. No, they aren't perfect and they shouldn't be, because they are freshmen and the season just started.

Just think how great this team will be at the end of the season. I have said it before, I will take talent over experience 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 11-21-2015 04:11 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Boom, I am not unhappy with this team, just feel that they have a much bigger learning curve than the freshmen we have seen at UK since coach Cal arrived. I certainly hope my early impressions of this years team are wrong, I was merely expressing an opinion based on what I have seen from this group thus far and comparing their skills and level of play versus other teams Cal has had at UK. Opinions don't cost us anything and there is no bigger UK basketball fan alive than me. Maybe I have come to expect perfection right out of the gate, who knows. We have some very good talent, I just feel it is not quite as good as I thought it would be this early in the season considering the level of competetion we have played to date.

I am much more concerned about the talent level of our returning players than I am of the freshmen. If you digested my entire post, I was basically agreeing with Cal about this years version of our cats early in the season, they did take a step backwards from the Duke game last night.

And come Tuesday we will be ranked number one in both polls because North Carolina fell to Northern Iowa today by a score of 71 to 67.

[ 11-21-2015, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 11-21-2015 05:35 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Murray will end up being one of the best freshman to ever play at UK. There isn't one thing about his play that would make me guess he was a freshman. I think the sky's the limit for him.

And Skal - he just needs some muscle and experience. I'm sure that by the end of the year he'll be one hell of a player. Heck, after three games he impresses me more than Towns did last year after a few games, and look how Towns finished. He was unstoppable. I'm hoping that Skal turns out the same way.

Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-21-2015 07:04 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is a good point Paul, Towns did not set the world on fire early in his career at Kentucky. It took awhile for him to get started. In his first 8 games he never made over 5 baskets in a game. He average 10 points a game and about 6.5 rebounds a game for the entire season. He also only played 3 games for the Cats where he played over 30 minutes and those three games were all 31 minutes.

--------------------

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 11-21-2015 07:27 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We were using the platoon system last year is the reason Towns played limited minutes. Plus Towns was a rim protector as was several of last years team. Skal missed his junior year with a back injury and played a very limited schedule his senior year due to going to a brand new school which had just opened. Skal is probably the most gifted big man shot wise we have ever had at UK but he does not have the experience at this point in his career that Towns etc had.

[ 11-21-2015, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-21-2015 07:33 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Skal looks pretty good for a kid with very little experience.....He is very coordinated.....you can coach him up.....You can coach a kid with two left all day long and he won't get any better.....I would rather have a kid with lots of skill

In my opinion, the guard play will be better than last season and the scoring will come easier. I am not an expert, but that it how I see it.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 11-21-2015 07:37 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We would have beaten Wisconsin had coach played Ulis the last five minutes instead of Andrew Harrison. Last year was a very special team for us, one that will be hard to compare other players to because of the platoon system stat wise. Skal might be the first player taken in the NBA draft next year but most are projecting him to be second behind Simmons of LSU.
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 11-21-2015 11:08 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree Ray and also "know" we would have beated wisc if Alex had played. He would have guarded Sam Deeker and shut him down!

While I am on a rant might as well say that if Willie had played the year before we would have won the title cause Willie would not have let the guard play beat us on the pick and pop!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-22-2015 10:33 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's over and nothing will change it but hope we have learned and don't make the same mistakes twice. The scary part is we have made some of the same mistakes twice in big games as the West Virginia game comes to mind.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com