TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Hawkins breaks hand and out for 4 weeks

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hawkins breaks hand and out for 4 weeks
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-05-2015 10:05 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hopefully he will be fully healed and ready to go by December. It's his shooting hand which might take a little longer till his shot is back to normal.

Upon hearing Monday's news that Kentucky guard Dominique Hawkins had broken a bone in his right hand, the player's high school coach immediately shifted into making-the-best-of-the-situation mode.

"I told him it's the preseason," said Allen Feldhaus Jr., who coached Hawkins at Madison Central High.

Feldhaus found at least two more silver linings:

■ Team depth, while still good (especially in the backcourt), is not as unforgiving as it was last season when UK substituted platoons of players.

"If this happened last year, you could sit a while," Feldhaus said. "This year, he can still fight his way back."

■ The cliché that might apply involves one door opening when another closes.

Upon learning that Hawkins broke his shooting hand, Feldhaus said he told the player, "This gives you an opportunity to work on your left hand."

Hawkins broke a bone in his right hand at practice and will miss four weeks, UK announced Monday. Hawkins will undergo surgery Tuesday but is expected to return to practice in early November.

"Praying for my bro," teammate Alex Poythress tweeted.

Link

[ 10-05-2015, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 10-06-2015 10:31 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I doubt he sees much playing time this year regardless of what happens with the injury. If I remember correctly, he played a lot as a freshman and very little last year. With the talent Cal keeps recruiting year after year, it's difficult to get meaningful playing time.
Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-06-2015 03:46 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is what Cal had to say about Hawkins and his injury.

He was so much more confident, so much more skilled," Calipari said. "There was no doubt he was in the rotation, and now he's just got to get back and stay in shape. We're looking forward to getting him back in November.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com