TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Has Cal Ever

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has Cal Ever
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 10-03-2015 12:47 AM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Had a pure shooter? Or does he primarily recruit slashing forwards and guards? I don't recall his teams at Memphis and I have not seen a pure shooter for UK outside of Lamb.

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 840 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 10-03-2015 09:33 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Booker was pretty much a 'pure shooter'. Knight was also pretty much 'money'. But, both of had high basketball IQ, and could pass, drive, and play good defense.

In truth, I think Cal recruits for defense first, offense second. Thus, we usually end up with a bunch of extraordinarily athletic wings and guards. I also think that is why we frequently end up with more point guards than shooting guards.

The kind of hyper-athlete Cal recruits would be more likely to use that ability to take it to the hole than settle for a jumper.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13622 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-03-2015 09:43 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lamb was our best 3 point shooter but we had a number of other very good 3 point shooters. To qualify in this list you had to have over 50 attempts and shoot a percentage of 39% or higher.

.................Games..attempts....Percentage
1 Doron Lamb..... 78.... 303........ 47.52
2 Cameron Mills.. 84.... 171........ 47.37
3 Travis Ford..... 100... 190........ 44.5
4 Tyler Ulis........ 33.... 77.......... 42.86
5 Mark Pope...... 69.....89.......... 41.57
6 Devin Booker...38.....58..........41.13
7 Walter McCarty.103....187........ 40.11
8 Rex Chapman.... 61.... 335........ 40
9 Derek Anderson. 55.... 153........ 39.87
10 Tony Delk..... 133... 712........ 39.75
11 Gerald Fitch...127....502.........39.64
12 Anthony Epps...141....391.........39.64

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 10-03-2015 02:10 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
Booker was pretty much a 'pure shooter'. Knight was also pretty much 'money'. But, both of had high basketball IQ, and could pass, drive, and play good defense.

In truth, I think Cal recruits for defense first, offense second. Thus, we usually end up with a bunch of extraordinarily athletic wings and guards. I also think that is why we frequently end up with more point guards than shooting guards.

The kind of hyper-athlete Cal recruits would be more likely to use that ability to take it to the hole than settle for a jumper.

Hyper-Athlete! I like that term a lot. Im stealing it. hahaha But I couldnt agree more not that I could put my finger on it prior to this reply but Cal definitely recruits defense first. Like you said that all tend to be slashers.

One thing I have been very impressed with and really didnt expect was Cal's ability to recruit dominant big men: Cousins, Davis, Noel and Towns. Yes I know Im leaving out a few others who are fan favorites around BBN. But these are the ones that Really shocked me as far as Cal being able to get them consistently year after year.

CMD I love your list but that list I really only see Lamb and Booker being the pure shooters.

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 840 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com