TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Indiana having some serious off-court issues

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Indiana having some serious off-court issues
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-01-2015 05:28 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's what you get when you recruit basketball players based on just ability.

Two Indiana men's basketball players were cited last Friday, shortly after midnight, by local police after both players -- Emmitt Holt and Thomas Bryant -- were caught in posession of alcohol.

Holt is 19, Bryant is 18.

Indiana confirmed the news late Monday afternoon.

"We are aware that men's basketball players Emmitt Holt and Thomas Bryant were each cited Friday for underage possession of alcohol," the athletic department's statement reads. "We take this matter very seriously and are continuing to gather information."

Holt's involvement is his second alcohol-related incident since he's been at Indiana. Last fall, Holt was driving a car after having imbibed and subseqeuntly hit/injured teammate Devin Davis. Davis suffered injuries to his head that prevented him from playing last season. Holt reportedly had a blood-alcohol level of .025 at the time of the incident.

Davis is no longer with the team. He was suspended in May after he was busted for marijuana possession. He opted to transfer from Indiana to Odessa College (Texas) in early June.

Link

[ 09-01-2015, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 09-02-2015 06:18 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've heard the local liquor stores are going to be this years sponsors on their Men's basketball calendar!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123987 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 09-02-2015 08:50 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am just glad no UK players are in the media at the present. If and when it does happen, there is always that portion of the fan base that screams for them to be burnt at the stake.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-02-2015 09:07 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are certain rules that players must follow and they really aren't that hard and if they don't they must pay the consequences. Alcohol and drugs are a no-no for obvious reasons especially when the police get involved. I think Kentucky does a good job monitoring their athletes fairly and most of our fans feel that way,

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 09-02-2015 09:35 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't like Indiana and I'm not defending them.
That being said, alcohol and kids that age go hand in hand. If you don't believe this IMO you have your head stuck in the sand. There are exceptions to this but that's what they are, exceptions. This could be UK or any other University.

I may even have taken a drink or two when I was underage.

I do agree that UK appears to do a good job of monitoring and controlling this type of behavior.

[ 09-02-2015, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5407 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-02-2015 11:42 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handy,

I may have done a lot of things then that could have landed me in trouble. But I took the risk, because (a) the probability of trouble was low, and (b) the consequences were minimal.

Now, however, I refrain from doing those things because the consequences are no longer minimal. The impact of a DUI, for example, would be devastating to me and my family.

If you are an athlete at IU, or UK, or any major sports program, the fact is that your life is NOT that of a normal college student. You have many more demands on your time, you are in the media spotlight, and you are considered a 'representative of your university'. Thus, the option to engage in some of the stupid stuff that you or I might have done is simply not there for them.

In exchange for this more scrutinized, public life they receive full scholarship and the possibility of later earning millions of dollars as a pro. Even if that doesn't work out, many former athletes are granted favorable opportunities for employment or business opportunities based upon their name recognition.

So, sorry, but I don't buy the "boys will be boys" line for these guys. They are on the fast track to success, and stupid decisions should have serious consequences.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-02-2015 01:40 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TT, well said as usual.

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 09-02-2015 01:55 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I do not agree with the line of thinking that young men have to be perfect. I do think each event has to be looked at individually.

The Hartline incident is a perfect example of where the head coach should have told the press that the issue would be handled internally and that it was a private matter. Instead, Joker kicked Mike Hartline off the team and subsequently lost the bowl game. I felt bad for Hartline, being denied the chance to win the bowl game for Kentucky. That was the beginning of the end for Joker as a head coach. But, the bright side is that Joker got fired and Kentucky now has Stoops.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 09-02-2015 05:46 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I may have done a lot of things then that could have landed me in trouble. But I took the risk, because (a) the probability of trouble was low, and (b) the consequences were minimal.

Tip, you're also older and much wiser than you were then.

IMO, most kids at that age never stop to think of the consequences as they believe they are invincible. I believe that I have read that the male brain does not reach maturity until age 25 or something to that effect. I could be wrong about that.

Some actions should have serious consequences but I would hope that one incident of underage drinking would not ruin a career at UK. I like to believe that would be the case. I really don't care what they do at other universities.

If we are going to hold a student athlete to these standards, I would hope the same would apply to any student on scholarship whether it be scholastic, musical etc.

IMO, telling a young college student to never have a drink is comparable to telling him to keep his pecker in his pants. In most cases it ain't going to happen.

I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one.

[ 09-02-2015, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5407 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wildcat Bill
Player
Member # 615

posted 09-07-2015 03:24 PM      Profile for Wildcat Bill     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm with Tiptree on this one. The players are afforded an unbelievable opportunity, far in excess of the average student, and in return, then are scrutinized heavily and therefore need to be aware of that. If they can't stand that scrutiny, then maybe they need to play at lower profile institution.

Having said that, I blame the coaching staff and administrators of IU for this, because this is hardly the first time that this has occurred. If it was, it might be a "boys will be boys" and "this is a rare occurrence" sort of defense. It is far from rare. IU appears to have a culture of alcohol, indifference to potential consequences, and lack of respect for the coaching staff and the university.

Posts: 1070 | From: Evansville, IN, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-08-2015 02:22 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Saying IU is 'having some off-court issues' is like saying Miley Cyrus is having 'some sexual morality issues'.

Ya think? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 09-09-2015 10:50 AM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm with both handy and Tip. Yes, these young men are in a way different situation than your average 20 year old college student. Yes, they should be held to a higher standard.

BUT...

They're still 20 year old young men. As handy said, they've probably been catered to for as long as they've been athletes, and feel invincible.

I certainly have no lost love for IU, but I hope these young men use these type of situations as an eye-opening experience, and get themselves turned around. Nobody (except perhaps the Patriots and OJ Simpson) are above the law, and 20 years of age is a good time to learn a hard lesson.

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
gaiball
Player
Member # 2926

posted 09-09-2015 01:42 PM      Profile for gaiball   Email gaiball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't care what school your at, everyone including us are going to have some kids in trouble. There is no way that a school is never going to have a trouble maker. With all the kids that come to any school they all are not good kids.

Hopefully the bad ones that do come change their life to the better by hanging around a round the better ones, but you always going to get a few bad apples.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com