TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Great, good, drunkard

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Great, good, drunkard
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-28-2015 07:23 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I heard on a radio show awhile back that the pattern for UK basketball coaches has been great, good, drunkard.

Rupp, Hall, Sutton equals great, good, drunkard. Pitino, Smith, Gillespie equals great, good, drunkard. Calipari equals great.

So, if and when the Barron leaves the castle to retire ( I just can't see him going back to the pro game where the star players have the power and he is 2nd fiddle ), is UK destined to repeat history?

Just think about what happened after Rupp and Pitino left. The narrow minded folks at Kentucky thought they had to have somebody with ties to the former coach, that is how they ended up with Hall and Smith. They were solid choices, but never "great". So, I am wondering if the powers that be will learn anything from history or if they are doomed to keep the cycle going.

By the way, I knew that Calipari was the one and should have been the one, when Billy Clyde was hired.

I have no idea who the next great coach is right now. If Calipari coaches another 10 years, I won't care who the next one is until the program needs him. Wonder if the cycle will repeat itself, or the next time around, the great one will be found an anointed the next baron of basketball.

[ 08-28-2015, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-28-2015 11:51 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I may not really care much about the one 10 years from now. I'll be 84 if I manage to live that long. Just being able to watch a BB game will probably be a joy then. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 08-28-2015 04:21 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just might make it to 84. Just 3 1/2 years short of it now!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com