TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Do you miss the Indiana rivalry game?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you miss the Indiana rivalry game?
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-21-2015 03:00 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Indiana and Louisville have signed a 3 game football and basketball.

Indiana University and the University of Louisville have signed an agreement to play a three-game series in both football and men’s basketball. The football and basketball series were announced jointly on Friday by the schools from neighboring states with campuses separated by only 100 miles.

A neutral site game at Bankers Life Arena in Indianapolis on Dec. 31, 2016 will open the men’s basketball series in an equally divided arena. The Cardinals and Hoosiers will later play at the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville as a home game for UofL on Dec. 9, 2017, and the teams will match up again in Assembly Hall in Bloomington on Dec. 8, 2018.

Indiana and Louisville will kick off the football series at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis on Sept. 16, 2023 with seating split equally between the two schools. The second football game will be played in Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium in Louisville on Sept. 7, 2024 and the three-game series will be completed at Memorial Stadium in Bloomington on Sept. 6, 2025.

The Louisville series will be a great challenge for us.” said Indiana Men’s Basketball Coach Tom Crean. “The preparation and execution needed to compete against Rick Pitino and his team is extraordinary. We are excited about the opportunity to face them on a consistent basis and the chance for both schools’ fan bases to watch this series take off again is exciting. That first game on New Year’s Eve next year should be special.”

“We have tremendous respect for Indiana and all of their sports programs,” said Louisville Men’s Basketball Coach Rick Pitino. “We’re very excited to have Indiana on our schedule. It’s a natural rivalry and it’s great for both universities. Tom (Crean) and I spoke about possible future games while we were together at a function last fall and I’m glad to see that it has become a reality.”

Link

[ 08-21-2015, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 08-21-2015 03:58 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When was the last time that Indiana was relevant? It is like when Tubby was coach during his last few years. Kentucky mattered to Kentucky fans but not to the national scene. That is how Indiana is viewed. They used to matter. Now, they do not.

Could care less about the Hoosiers. UK plays enough high profile teams. I would rather they play the local in state teams and give them an economic boost.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-21-2015 04:21 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A few years back, about the time Crean took the coaching job, someone else made the comment about Indiana no longer being relevant. In all my wisdom I replied that given time Crean would make them "very relevant".

Once again I was wrong. I never cared for Crean but I thought he would have turned that program around.

IMO, UK basketball has nothing to gain by scheduling a medircore team.

Football would be a different story. Two less than average programs "might" generate mild enthusiasm.

Posts: 5409 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-21-2015 06:32 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hadn't really even thought about them. The two of them deserve each other.
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 08-21-2015 10:44 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Problem is we lose revenue when we schedule home/home with teams like IU. We're better off with neutral floor games!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-22-2015 09:14 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I want to play them bad as we have had that rivalry dating back to 1924 and have played them 56 times. We beat them 32 times of those 56 games. Rivalries like that don't happen like that very often and was one of if not the best rivalries in all of college basketball.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 08-22-2015 12:47 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WHO?

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 848 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 08-22-2015 01:56 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nope. They just haven't been relevant the last 27 years. I would much rather play Kansas/UNC/Duke/Michigan State every year as compared to IU.

It use to be a rivalry but not much of one the last 25 years.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 08-22-2015 02:40 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The way their fans acted after they beat us in 2012? Not just no, but HELL NO!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 08-23-2015 04:53 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As much as I hate Duke... They would never rush the court on us. No respect for their program and fans. No Traditional powerhouse should ever rush the court ever. I don't care how bad of a run they are having. The second they did that I lost all respect for them. I don't care if we ever play them again. IU is dead to me.

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 848 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-25-2015 10:12 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Living here amid the delirious IU fan base, I hope we never play them again (except when they happen to get lucky enough to make the tournament, maybe we will get them in an early-round game for a blow-out).

Seriously... the way that IU fans regard and treat UK fans borders on the absurd and criminal. And Crean is running a program that attracts low-character players, as revealed by the seven players charged with possession over the past year, including the incident where one drunk IU basketball player ran over another student in his car.

IU is not only increasingly irrelevant, they are increasingly distasteful. Screw 'em.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wildcat Bill
Player
Member # 615

posted 08-25-2015 10:30 PM      Profile for Wildcat Bill     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with most all of the posters here. The stumbling block is that we are not going to subject our team and fans to going to Bloomington again after the way their classless fans behaved, not to mention the nonexistent security. If they had not insisted on a game in Bloomington, the series would have continued. Now, as has been pointed out, the only time we will be playing them is in the NCAA tournament, which will not be played in Bloomington, Indiana.

Of course, we have absolutely nothing to gain by playing them anyway and we have successfully replaced them with very high profile non-conference opponents. We have not suffered at all from removing them from our schedule. However, it does seem, apart from the ACC-Big 10 required game, IU has trouble attracting another high profile non-conference team to play in Bloomington. I'm not surprised. So maybe while we're not hurt by the lack of playing them, the same can't be said for them. In short, they needed us but we no longer needed them. They should have continued the series on neutral sites. They didn't and they lost the entire series, however differently Dick Vitale and others care to spin it.

IU and UL are a good fit. I read where Tom Jurich said that they had a "friendly" rivalry already. IU fans have proven beyond any doubt that their hatred of UK is anything but "friendly". In fact, they border on pathologically toxic in their behavior with regard to UK. It's better to let that go.

Posts: 1070 | From: Evansville, IN, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com