TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Courier-Journal "Cal paid for wins not picks"

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Courier-Journal "Cal paid for wins not picks"
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-25-2015 11:32 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We all have different opinions on Cal's devotion to get players drafted but he is his own man and isn't going to change. Personally I think he can do both just like he did in 2012 however the 2010 and 2015 teams sure underachieved in the NCAA tournament, imo.

If John Calipari's ultimate goal is to get his players drafted, perhaps his job description is in need of revision.

You would think Kentucky's highest-salaried public employee is not paid to find jobs for non-graduates of the state's largest university. You would think his primary purpose is to win basketball games.

That Calipari has won at a school-record .833 clip in his six seasons at UK is a testament to his salesmanship, his skill and his leadership. And it provides him some allowances when his rhetoric goes off the rails. But much as his "players first" mantra might resonate with elite prospects, the notion that the NBA draft exceeds the importance of the NCAA championship sends a strange message to a fan base still grieving over the previously unbeaten Wildcats' Final Four loss to Wisconsin.

To suggest that the career advancement of soon-to-be millionaires deserves higher priority than the vicarious thrills of their tax-paying public is a tough sell in the best of times, and it feels like a calculated diversion in the wake of a dispiriting defeat. It's like asking an audience to judge a play based on what jobs the actors landed afterward. It suggests a poor grasp of what matters most to Big Blue Nation.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 05-25-2015 12:16 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I had the intelligence, that is exactly the description I would have given of our Coach after his speech last week about all our goals fulfilled this past season. I am happy that he is our coach but to me, his mouth tends to overload his a hole from time to time and blow his brains totally out of his head. He is a great recruiter, a great self promoter and our school gets a lot of publicity from that but I must admit that his position on getting players to the NBA ahead of other goals has left a bad taste in my mouth. I wanted Cal to be our coach when Gillispie was hired and wanted him once Gillispie was fired. I am still happy to have him on the bench but I do wish he would tone down his rhetoric on his priorities when it comes to UK basketball and the NBA. I would venture to say he has soured the minds of many long time UK basketball fans who will probably never totally be on his band wagon ever because of his ridiculous statements last week. I will also add that I do not consider his preparation for opponents satisfactory. I am a big follower of scouting reports, film watching etc, something Cal has on more than one occasion stated he is not really into. He believes he prepares his team to fit his offense and certainly is not a very good coach when it comes to making in game adjustments, caused by lack of proper preparation in the film room and through live scouting reports.

[ 05-25-2015, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 05-25-2015 12:34 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well this Sullivan guy must not be able to count. Cal got 38 wins last year. I'd say he's earning his salary, and then some. If we were winning just 20 games a year and being lucky enough to make the sweet 18, I could agree with the writer. But to make wins a part of any conversation regarding John Calipari is pure stupidity.

[ 05-25-2015, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10336 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 05-25-2015 03:28 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, Cal does win a lot of games. Cal is the one that opened this can of worms by saying getting players to the NBA is more important than winning National Championships so he left himself wide open for media and fan criticism. I for one totally agree with this writer, I want national championships much more than I do sending large numbers from our team to the NBA yearly. It is nice to win as many games as Cal has each year at UK but he does not have a very good record once he gets to the final four, he is now one for six at that level in National Championships.

[ 05-25-2015, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-25-2015 03:31 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All I can do is echo the comments. From this point on he needs to pick up his in game coaching or he will be losing some supporters. There is no way we should not have 11 NCAA's right now. He very seldom gets outrecruited but for some reason the recruits now are turning away from him and I'm anxious to see if this trend continues into 2016. If he wants the pay he needs to bring another championship to Lexington.
Posts: 14146 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 05-26-2015 05:58 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Amen, SCWC and Bama Cat. I tolerate Cal because he brings in top players and wins a lot of games. Like many I did not like him at all before he became UK's coach due to the personality I saw when he coached other teams, most notably UMASS and Memphis. However, he is a great ambassador for the UK brand and the state. Whether he means it or not, I wish he would quit spouting the "players first" bull crap and put UK first. After all, he is paid by UK and/or the Athletics board, not by the NBA or the players he sends there. He would make a great politician, unfortunately! He can look out for the players' interests and still put UK and the fans as his #1 interest. And, I know that he may say things just to look good for future recruits, but needs to be more careful as to how the fanbase will react to putting NBA draft status ahead of winning championships.

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 05-26-2015 07:44 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have over 6 million reasons why the program should be on equal footing as the players, and that is his salary. I don't think any coach is worth 6 million dollars, however that is not the topic here. I agree with the writer, SCWC, Bama, and ALA. The tax payers are paying a lot of his salary and he should keep that in mind when he is doing his job. I do believe he should want his players to get drafted, and to get the best for them, but I don't think the two have to be exclusive. He should be able to focus on a national championship as a team priority, and then focus on getting players to their dreams of the NBA. But hopefully we have players that also dream of winning a national championship, and getting to the NBA. If we don't, maybe we don't have the right players. I also believe that for 6 million dollars he could break down some film and scout teams. It does make a big difference, and can really help players and coaches. To not do it is just plain arrogance, or stupidity. And I don't think he is stupid. And for 6 million a year I don't ever feel sorry for a coach when his fans expect the best from their team year in and year out. We should have realistic expectations, and this year to win a championship (not go undefeated) was very, very realistic; and should have happened had we been more prepared.
Posts: 5431 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 05-27-2015 07:32 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think that any tax dollars go to the UK Athletics Association. It is self-funded from ticket sales, merchandising, and donations. In fact, the UKAA routinely donates money to the university every year, amounting to several million dollars.

So, Cal's huge salary isn't coming from your tax dollars.

But I agree with the general sentiment here. Cal knows that he has made something of a Faustian bargain -- come to UK and we'll prepare you to be a successful pro. As long as that pipeline of talent was flowing through Lexington, we all tolerated his 'crazy talk' about the draft being more important than championships.

But now, as the torrent of recruits shows signs of abating, what will Cal do? If next year, the majority of the top players elect to go to Kansas, or UNC, or Duke, we will further question him.

Is this a crisis? No. But it points to the precarious position Cal has put himself into. I hope he can see the light and understand that he can also recruit players by consistently winning championships... which will raise their draft status... which will get more players into the NBA. But in that model, we fans are satisfied. In the "NBA Draft is everything model", only the players are satisfied.

Wake up, coach Cal. It doesn't take much to satisfy your fans. You can still 'do right' by your players AND focus on championships over draft statistics.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13612 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-27-2015 08:51 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to be careful how I say things on here because I never want to make anyone mad. But the comments by Tip are so true. Cal may just be saying a lot of this to get the kids to commit to UK. But I still feel UK should be the top priority. If it wasn't for UK getting him paid he wouldn't be able to get so many kids to the NBA. The future will write Cal's story and I hope it is a great one. But I think we all see that his hold on the top recruits is starting to waver. He needs a great class in 2016 to keep his story going.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 05-27-2015 09:12 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bama Cat:
Cal may just be saying a lot of this to get the kids to commit to UK.

I would bet good money that this is the case. Along with his words, he has so many actions that are along the same lines. The way he ties certain celebrities to the program is a sure-fire way to get the eyes of the recruits. Cal is not stupid by any means - if anything, he's an innovator. But I have to believe that he would want nothing more than to not lose another game in his coaching career. He wants to win, baby!
[Wink]

Posts: 10336 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-27-2015 05:20 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree 100%.
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 05-27-2015 05:53 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal is not a blithering drunk like a few past UK coaches. Cal is not an arrogant axx who has to pay for abortions and bribe chumps on his staff to marry women and be look outs like one former UK coach. He is just a man who wins a large amount of games and still yet, there are fans that want to get all twisted up about a few comments that he makes. Really?

Calipari is the best thing to happen to Kentucky in regards to basketball since Adolph Rupp.

Just goes to show you how difficult is is to please everybody.

I bet some of the complainers would be mad if they won the lottery. They would be upset with the shade of green on their hundred dollar bills.

[ 05-27-2015, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 05-27-2015 08:01 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One day, Boom, I will read a glowing, positive post from you. I am a patient man...

[Smile]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 05-27-2015 09:57 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't trade Calipari for any other coach on the planet.

How is that for glowing positivity?

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 05-27-2015 10:33 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Check. One less item on the bucket list. [Smile]

--------------------
Tiptree

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 05-27-2015 10:43 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You guys are hilarious. One of the many reasons I love this site!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com