TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cats been to the NCAA tournament 54 times

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cats been to the NCAA tournament 54 times
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-24-2015 05:14 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
North Carolina is second with 46 appearances, UCLA is 3rd with 45, Kansas is 4th with 44 and Louisville is 5th with 41 appearances.

Rupp went 21 time times in 31 years
Hall went 10 times in 13 years
Sutton went 1 time in 3 years
Pitino went 6 times in 9 years
Tubby went 10 time in 10 Years (Yes, every year)
Gillispie went 1 time in 3 years
Calipari has gone 5 times in 6 years.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
AshTuckyUKfan
Player
Member # 3065

posted 05-24-2015 10:28 PM      Profile for AshTuckyUKfan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Didn't Gillispe just coach two seasons?
Posts: 369 | From: Ashland KY | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
AshTuckyUKfan
Player
Member # 3065

posted 05-24-2015 10:32 PM      Profile for AshTuckyUKfan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
and also, didn't Tubby leave after the 2006 season? Making that 9 seasons?

Gillispe was 2007 and 2008 and Cal took over in 2009(is what I'm thinking)

I may be wrong as time moves quickly.

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-24-2015 10:39 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ash I think you are right.
Posts: 14146 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 05-25-2015 03:34 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tubby was at Kentucky from 1997 to 2007. He had a full ten year tenure as our head coach. He won the National Championship In his first season which was the 1997 1998 season and coached through the 2007 season. Gillispie replaced Tubby and coached the season that ended in 2008 and 2009, he was hired in 2007 when Tubby left for Minn.

[ 05-25-2015, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-25-2015 10:41 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tubby also won "5" SEC titles and "5" SEC tournament titles and even though was criticized for recruiting he did send Rondo, Meeks, Hayes, Prince, Azubuike, Bogans, Daniels, Morris, Fitch, Crawford and Micheal Bradley to the NBA.

Tubby was a three-time Associated Press SEC Coach of the Year, a two-time Coaches SEC Coach of the Year, and three-time National Coach of the Year in 1998, 2003 and 2005. In a ten year career to be named National coach of the year 3 times is awfully impressive. Cal has been named college coach of the year 3 times but only once while at Kentucky. Rupp was named college coach of the year 5 times 1950, 1954, 1959, 1966, 1970 but he did coach the Cats for 41 years. Pitino was named SEC coach of the year 3 times. Joe hall was named National coach of the year one time and named SEC coach of the year 4 times.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
AshTuckyUKfan
Player
Member # 3065

posted 05-25-2015 11:23 AM      Profile for AshTuckyUKfan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
Tubby also won "5" SEC titles and "5" SEC tournament titles and even though was criticized for recruiting he did send Rondo, Meeks, Hayes, Prince, Azubuike, Bogans, Daniels, Morris, Fitch, Crawford and Micheal Bradley to the NBA.

Tubby was a three-time Associated Press SEC Coach of the Year, a two-time Coaches SEC Coach of the Year, and three-time National Coach of the Year in 1998, 2003 and 2005. In a ten year career to be named National coach of the year 3 times is awfully impressive. Cal has been named college coach of the year 3 times but only once while at Kentucky. Rupp was named college coach of the year 5 times 1950, 1954, 1959, 1966, 1970 but he did coach the Cats for 41 years. Pitino was named SEC coach of the year 3 times. Joe hall was named National coach of the year one time and named SEC coach of the year 4 times.

There is no doubt he dominated the SEC, but the final nine years without another final four killed him. The year when D. Wayde had a triple double and knocked them out early in the tournament, if he had finished strong with another final four that year(which UK was the HEAVY favorite that year) who knows what his future at UK would have been like.

IMHO(which I know Tubby can be a touchy subject) UK was an average, underachieving team during his UK tenure. On so many occasions he was so very close to making UK special, but just couldn't get them there. I will not consider his time at UK a failure as so many do but I am happy with the changes that were made.

[ 05-25-2015, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: AshTuckyUKfan ]

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-25-2015 12:33 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ashtuck, You are "far" more fair than most UK fans but is it really "average" when you win the SEC title and Sec tournament half the time in a 10 year stretch? Is it average to be named National Coach of the Year on 3 different occasions by different sources?

Check this AP poll for coaches of the year. Tubby is named coach of the year "twice" and not even the year he won the National Championship. It should also be noted that there is not another Kentucky coach that has "ever" been named COY twice and only "one" other coach that was named even once. "Average coaches are not named twice".

Link

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 05-25-2015 04:30 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The injury to Keith Bogans in the Marquette game made a world of difference. There is no doubt in my mind had not Bogans been hurt, Tubby would have won his second National Championship while at UK. Tutbby did a great job while at UK but his last two years were sub par by UK standards. I was and still am a Tubby fan, think he left UK at the right time and was extremely pleased with the job he did while serving as our head coach. There is not a better x and o coach in all of college basketball than Tubby in my opinion.

[ 05-25-2015, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-25-2015 05:42 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Amen! Thanks Ray I was beginning to think I was the only person that thought Tubby was not a worthless slug. Just look at the records and you can see what a good 10 years that really was. The thing that stood out to me the most was how good he treated the players, fans and especially the children. He had time for everyone even when a segment of our fans treated him like dirt. There will be a special place in heaven for him that's for sure.

--------------------

country cat
Player
Member # 1774

posted 05-26-2015 03:39 AM      Profile for country cat   Email country cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the 1998 team was pitino players who had to beg tubby to let them play pitino ball----after that season we played tubby ball---he could never recurit top playes to play for him--in my life time ky has had 7 coaches
in my opinion--and it is just what i think i would rate ky coaches in this order
1----rupp--nuff said
2---pitino--anyone remember ky shame--when he was hired--he said on national we will win and win big-and he delivered
3coach cal---at ky i can recruit the best of the best--done that
4---tubby---just alway seem to be one player away---always
5 joe b hall---should have won more with the teames he had
6 eddie sutton----kentucky shame
7 billy clyde---worest hire in the nation
like i said--just my opinion

--------------------
american by birth-----wildcat by choice --- if you not the lead cat---your view never changes

Posts: 1023 | From: breathitt co-----lost in eldorado | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-26-2015 10:38 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CC I'll have to agree with you on the rankings.

Rupp's time was a lot different than the others. For a lot of his years he had a lot of KY players on his team when basketball was THE game, while it was not that great a game in the rest of the country.

Hall could do a little recruiting as he often got the best player in surrounding states, OH, IN, IL for example. He came close to winning a second championship a couple times.

Pitino in his days at UK were his best and it was because he could recruit and he knew how to get the guys to play run and gun.

Sutton was good at recruiting, but we'll never know the exact truth about the play for pay envelope. He was a good in game coach in my opinion.

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-26-2015 10:45 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CC I'll have to agree with you on the rankings.

Rupp's time was a lot different than the others. For a lot of his years he had a lot of KY players on his team when basketball was THE game, while it was not that great a game in the rest of the country.

Hall could do a little recruiting as he often got the best player in surrounding states, OH, IN, IL for example. He came close to winning a second championship a couple times.

Pitino in his days at UK were his best and it was because he could recruit and he knew how to get the guys to play run and gun.

Sutton was good at recruiting, but we'll never know the exact truth about the play for pay envelope. He was a good in game coach in my opinion.

Tubby as most people say was a great person who could do the x's and o's very well but played a very boring controlled game. If he could have recruiting just one more top kid each year he may have had multiple championships.

Billy G was the biggest mistake UK ever made.

Cal as some of us think is not a great in-game coach but can out recruit better than anyone. He has made or not made decisions at the crunch time in crucial games that have cost him a couple of possible championships. He has an unorthadox way of conducting business as far as game prep goes which may affect the outcome of some of his close games. But he is still better than anyone else out there.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com