TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Kentucky back in the picture for Swanigan

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kentucky back in the picture for Swanigan
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-15-2015 09:43 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal "really" must want this guy bad as he rarely will keep on a recruit who has shown so little interest in Kentucky at all. It looks like now we have a legitimate chance to sign him.

Jon RothsteinVerified account
‏@JonRothstein Kentucky has emerged as a legitimate landing spot for 2015 big man Caleb Swanigan, source told @CBSSports. #BBN

It has, without a doubt, been the weirdest college basketball recruitment for John Calipari and the Kentucky Wildcats since Terrence Jones If we recall, Jones committed to Washington and ended up becoming a Wildcat shortly thereafter. Swanigan committed to Michigan State, but that vow to Sparty lasted only about a week or so, but Kentucky was considered out of the running and an afterthought. Just a couple of days ago, Swanigan seemed set on joining the Cal Bears and playing with Ivan Rabb and Jaylen Brown but was just waiting on a spot to open up.

The Kentucky Wildcats could certainly use Swanigan. Swanigan, at 6’9 is the #13 prospect in the class but he does seem to have a lot of baggage. Apparently he has his list of demands that Tom Izzo would not meet and I don’t think that John Calipari is going to guarantee playing time either. However, the speculation abounds as to what went wrong with Sparty.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 05-15-2015 10:40 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Really, really nervous about this guy. Red flags all over the place.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-15-2015 10:52 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is risky especially with the baggage his guardian has however in Cal we trust.

--------------------

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 05-16-2015 06:31 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What kind of red flags are we seeing? Details please.

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123963 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 05-16-2015 10:26 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's just rumors, but sometimes these things are based in some form of reality.

Swanigan Rumor

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 05-16-2015 02:44 PM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Personal chef and separate living quarters" Not sure he'd get many takers on that one - if it were true which it's probably not. What's next a maid and a butler? Must be nice to be a star these days. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 05-16-2015 04:27 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not buying this one bit. This is a fan base getting riled up because they lost a big recruit out of nowhere. I'm sure similar rumors would circulate if it happened to us. In reality the way I see it... This kid decommited and now he has UK, KU and every other school foaming out of the mouth and he is enjoying it.

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 836 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 05-19-2015 09:12 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
It is risky especially with the baggage his guardian has however in Cal we trust.

Maybe I am biased or blind since I am acquaintances with his guardian, but what "baggage" are you referring too. I'm not saying that he doesn't have any, just none that I am aware of.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 05-19-2015 12:05 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just got a text from a friend that he is going to Purdue

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 05-19-2015 12:23 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He was apparently never ours to lose so no gain/no loss. We could certainly have used him next year but there are going to be years like we just had where we have some recruiting setbacks. Fortunately for us, they are few and far between since Cal came to Kentucky.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 05-19-2015 02:18 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SCWC:
He was apparently never ours to lose so no gain/no loss. We could certainly have used him next year but there are going to be years like we just had where we have some recruiting setbacks. Fortunately for us, they are few and far between since Cal came to Kentucky.

Well said

--------------------

redbone

blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 05-19-2015 03:09 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With Swanigan committed to Purdue, something is serious wrong with our recruiting. This isn't funny anymore, we can’t buy a recruit. Ridiculous!
Posts: 1495 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-19-2015 03:33 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
With Swanigan committed to Purdue, something is serious wrong with our recruiting. This isn't funny anymore, we can’t buy a recruit. Ridiculous!
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I have to disagree. By most accounts we have the #1 and #8 recruits in the nation. While this may be somewhat of a down year for recruiting by recent UK standards, most would be thrilled to have this incoming class.

[ 05-19-2015, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 05-19-2015 04:33 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by handycat:
[QUOTE]Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I have to disagree. By most accounts we have the #1 and #8 recruits in the nation. While this may be somewhat of a down year for recruiting by recent UK standards, most would be thrilled to have this incoming class.

True, but to strike out on a half dozen recruits for a huge program like Kentucky is a concern. I'm still wondering if its the final four loss.
Posts: 1495 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 05-20-2015 06:26 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or maybe the opposing coaches are saying Cal is going to take one of th evacant NBA jobs. Wether he is or isn't!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123963 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-20-2015 08:28 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It could be several things but one thing is for sure, Cal does not have the imposing power he has had in the past over these Mickey Ds. Somebodies somewhere are saying the right things that is swaying these kids in a different direction. The power he has had back in the fall to get these top two recruits has disappeared here in the spring. When you look at the fact that we had 7 kids leave for the draft and all be considered draft choices, the kids in this springs class are not too impressed. Whether they don't want to be a team member like we had this past season or other coaches are spreading rumors that Cal will leave, something is going on that has changed these kids mind about UK. But we can wait till next fall and see how he does with the next class before we pronounce that there is a problem or not. Right now we can't even win 3-4 star players let alone a 5 star like Swanigan.
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 05-20-2015 09:10 AM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Part of it could be the opposition is offering them more playing time. They may be pointing to Cal's platoon system and spinning that against him i.e. their stats will be low and they won't get to showcase their talents to the max. Even though that was an unusual situation to have that much talent I'm sure opposing coaches would use it against us to the kids they're trying to recruit.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-20-2015 10:26 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WF, you nailed it about other coachs saying anything it takes, true or not to get a recruiting advantage on us. I do think however Cal is good enough of a coach to keep us more than competitive even if the quantity of good players is not as deep as previous classes.

I think this years team even though not as deep as others has the players and talent to make a long run in the NCAA tournament

--------------------

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 05-20-2015 11:16 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think you guys are giving these kids WAAAY too much credit for being rational. This year, a whole bunch of them decided to go somewhere else. What's new? These are pampered, self-centered high school kings who don't have the wisdom or the perspective to always make good choices.

Next year we might land all 12 McDonald's All-Americans. Who knows?

I like our team, but last year kind of spoiled me on the amazing amount of depth we had. We have enough talent to go 7 or 8 deep, which is fine. I think we should be in the hunt for another deep tourney run by March.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 05-20-2015 11:28 AM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't see much to be concerned about either. Our program is still very attractive for the talent we need and the type players Cal likes to coach to make strong runs year after year.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-20-2015 12:09 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, your last paragraph:

I like our team, but last year kind of spoiled me on the amazing amount of depth we had. We have enough talent to go 7 or 8 deep, which is fine. I think we should be in the hunt for another deep tourney run by March.

My last paragraph:

I think this years team even though not as deep as others has the players and talent to make a long run in the NCAA tournament.

Where do you see much if any difference between or our chances? We have plenty of talent this year and could win the NCAA championship if things go right as we have plenty of talent to make it happen just like we "both" point out. In fact this years team "probably" has a better chance of winning as our starting 8 or so players will "more than likely" have more minutes playing together than did last years top 8 or so players. Bottom line it's our top 8 or so players that is by far the most important factor in winning a NCAA tournament. IMO

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-20-2015 02:03 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This team is just as competitive as most of Cal's teams except last season. But it just appears it's 1 big guy short of being as good as the 2012 team. If some of our returning players can provide more this year we will do ok.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-21-2015 09:42 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If we get Murray I can see Cal using a 3 guard line-up a lot with Skal and Poy. What do you think?

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-21-2015 12:50 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree. Murray is big enough to play the SF and he can handle the ball. Out of the five of Labissiere, Briscoe, Ulis, Murray and Poythress, Poythress would be the worst ball handler.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com