TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cats number two in power rankings

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cats number two in power rankings
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-15-2015 12:01 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have a legitimate chance as per the information below.

How To Talk Yourself Into Kentucky as The Champ:

Even without Towns and Cauley-Stein, Kentucky is capable of having one of the nation's best defenses. Upping point guard Tyler Ulis' minutes by 9-10 per game is bound to have a positive effect; he's a gnat who'll only get better at on-ball pressure as he adds strength. Wing Alex Poythress, who played just eight games before suffering a season-ending knee injury in December, has offensive limitations but is a high-level defender. When I charted every defensive possession of the Wildcats' first 20 games for an SI magazine project, opponents Poythress was guarding shot a team-low 12.8%. (Not a typo: 12.8%. Poythress just did not give up baskets.)

Kentucky's lack of front-line depth is alarming, but the likely starting 4-5 duo of Marcus Lee and Labissiere—both long-armed, athletic shot-blockers—will provide rim protection as long as they stay out of foul trouble. Historically at Memphis and now Kentucky, when the John Calipari-John Robic coaching duo has a long and defensively engaged roster, it usually results in an elite overall D. If they can mold Ulis, Briscoe and Labissiere into an respectable offensive trio, use Lee as an efficient lob-and-garbage collector and Poythress as an occasional slasher, they'll score enough to be in the thick of the title hunt.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 05-15-2015 01:55 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like it, and am looking forward to next season. "Ulis is a gnat" is a great description.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-15-2015 02:12 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In a lot of ways I'm looking forward to watching this team more than the past year. Common sense tells me this team will not be near as good but I think it has a chance of being very good.

I was never a fan of the platoon system but I understood why we were playing it. I'm glad to see us back to a 7 or 8 man rotation.

I'm anxious to see how good the newcomers will produce.

Looking forward to see how Ulis will run this team and if Lee can become more offensively productive.

Can't wait to see if the old man, Poy, will come back from his injury and become a force.

Hoping Hawkins and Willis can become the players that many of us think is possible.

I know it's early but I'm also looking forward to the coming year.

[ 05-15-2015, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5398 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-15-2015 05:08 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
handy, the newcomers sound like they can become stars early in their careers and by tournament time can be stars. I like the combination young and older players and bet their attitudes will be great and will work together to become a very good team.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 05-15-2015 05:39 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember, we won a national championship in 2012 with three freshmen starters along with two sophmores and one Senior that was the sixth man. From what I have seen of our three Mickey D recruits, they appear to be very high quality basketball players. Can't wait till Midnight madness.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 05-15-2015 06:02 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm hoping the buzz about Swanigan dies down. Sounds like an egotistical problem to me. I think we can do nicely without that kind of baggage.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 05-15-2015 07:09 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It sounds like that to me too Norm.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-16-2015 09:00 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal seems to have always brought in quality players both on and off the court. I really don't think he will start changing now either and if one does slip by he would take care of the problem in a hurry.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com