TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal compares current era to Rupp's era

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal compares current era to Rupp's era
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-26-2015 02:11 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Knowing Rupp the way some of us older guy's do I don't think we can even make the comparison. The times are so different except to say that both coach adjusted to their times and won a lot of basketball games.

When he received the Adolph Rupp Award as national coach of the year, Kentucky coach John Calipari was asked how he would compare the current era with the time Rupp coached.

“There were some things that I didn’t anticipate. I didn’t know we’d lose five guys and they’d all go in the first round after my first year. A light went off went it happened like, ‘Uh oh, this has changed the dynamic of what we’re dealing with now.’ I didn’t fight it. I rolled with it," Calipari said.

"The next year we go to the Final Four, lose four guys off of that team, and then win the national championship the next year and lose six guys off that team. This will be 26 guys that have gotten to the NBA in six years – crazy. We’ve also graduated 10 players, plus three this year, and Willie (Cauley-Stein) is only three or four classes away from getting his degree. Three of those guys will now have graduated in the three years. It’s not at the expense of academics, but we’re letting kids chase their dreams.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com