TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Newman to Mississippi State

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newman to Mississippi State
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-24-2015 01:26 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We missed out on a good one. Just hope UK fans respect his choice and don't act like U of L fans would.

It's official, 5-star combo guard Malik Newman has committed to play basketball at Mississippi State University. Newman made his decision Friday during a ceremony that was live streamed on clarionledger.com.

Newman, a 6'3" 175 pound guard from Callaway High School in Jackson, MS is considered the 8th best overall player in the country by 247 Sports, 10th overall by ESPN, and 8th overall by Rivals.

New MSU head coach Ben Howland has only been on the job for one month and grabbed what could be considered the biggest recruit commitment in the history of MSU basketball today. For much of Newman's recruitment, it was predicted that he would commit to Kentucky, LSU, or Kansas but when Howland took his post at MSU after Rick Ray was fired in March, everything shifted in the Bulldogs' favor.

Link

[ 04-24-2015, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 04-24-2015 02:43 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Apparently he was never really ours to lose so as the old saying goes, nothing gained, nothing lost. He would have been a good addition but there are still other options. Hopefully we will now get the JUCO player. I am still hoping to get Diallo more than anyone myself. We may not get any of these unsigned high profile players but we will still be in good shape for the upcoming season.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-24-2015 02:58 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ray, Diallo is special and if we get him we are as good as anyone in the country!

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-24-2015 03:55 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
😢

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 848 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 04-24-2015 04:20 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From KSR in reference to Newman. He is obviously not short on ego:

Malik Newman just committed to Mississippi State over Kentucky and Kansas. Newman said he wants to “write his own story” and “I think it will be a good story by the end of the day.” Okay.

Newman said he thinks Mississippi State can win a championship based on what they did last year. I want to know what Mississippi State team Newman watched last year. He also said he was excited to be on a team with Chicken. There is nothing more Mississippi State than that. (Yes, I know Craig Sword’s nickname is Chicken.)

Seriously, good luck to the kid, who is now the only cool thing in Starkville.

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-24-2015 04:54 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Most of us knew he was going there from almost the beginning. Why even Dicky V could have been signed to coach there and he would have still went to MS St. He knew where he wanted to go all along but he wanted to get involved with some big name basketball schools for the publicity. So the whole country has been watching for months now and they all know he is going to MS St. I wish him luck and maybe he can finish in the top half of the conference but he's not going to get the publicity that he could have gotten at UK. The thing he will get is points. I guess he should be able to average between 15-20 pts a game, unless their opponents key on him and shut him down. He won't have the other options on his team to keep the defense honest. A year from now we can reevaluate the situation and see what really happens.
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-25-2015 06:36 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I really haven't seen teh kid play yet, but rumor has it he never met a shot he didn't like!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-25-2015 08:40 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If he can make them at a good percentage, the more the better.

--------------------

EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 04-25-2015 10:41 AM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He's just like Jerry Reed; When he's hot he's hot and when he's not he's not. Very streaky shooter.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-25-2015 12:27 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Newman for this season shot 50% from the field, he made 40% of his 3 point shots and 60% of his 2 point shots. He shot just about as many 3's as he did 2 point shots.

--------------------

EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 04-25-2015 04:56 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He shot 30% in the Jordan Brand classic, CMD.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-25-2015 09:41 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That was one game, EC.

--------------------

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-25-2015 09:56 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is water under the bridge. In my thoughts, he no longer exists. Besides, in my eyes, if they don't come to UK, they have character flaws!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 04-26-2015 05:20 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Amen Norm, that is my feelings exactly. Every UK game is on tv, something he will not get at Miss State. He may be on TV but it will be pretty much a local Mississippi thing, not the national coverage he would have gotten almost every game at UK. It sounds like he wants to be a big fish in a very small pond rather than take his chances on playing with other top notch talent.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-26-2015 09:41 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have come to realize Cal is not going to be able to grab a lot of guys every year who have the team mentality and winning in their genes. Some years we'll have a deep squad and others we'll be going with 6-8 good guys.
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-26-2015 11:33 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess everyone has different opinions but just because some recruit doesn't pick us doesn't mean he is a bad person or he isn't that good. Like Bama points out we get far more than our share of players every year and that is exciting and what really counts..

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com