TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Newman denies report he is going to Mississippi State

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newman denies report he is going to Mississippi State
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-22-2015 07:51 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He still may go there but has completely made up his mind per this article.

Newman, who had visits scheduled with Ole Miss and Mississippi State for Wednesday, says he's still deciding.

"No, I haven't committed," Newman told The Clarion-Ledger. "Right now I'm down to my final four schools - Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Kansas and Kentucky."

Parrish's report cited "multiple staffs involved in Newman's recruitment" including two coaches who said Newman to Mississippi State is "done."

Newman, again, refuted that information.

"When I sit down with my parents, if I think Mississippi State is the right place, then that's where I'll pick," he said. "Like I said, right now I'm down to my final four schools. I don't really care what the media is saying. I think wherever is the best spot for me is where I'll pick."

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-22-2015 09:32 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh please oh please pick us! Hahahaha

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 840 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-23-2015 06:50 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What WHO said^^^^^^^!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123985 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-23-2015 08:56 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Since we are a Nike school and not Adidas it's going to be tough to get him.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-23-2015 11:03 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Home pull wins in the end.
Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-23-2015 01:40 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am afraid you are right Bama but not giving up hope.

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 04-23-2015 02:03 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am not so sure I really want a player who thinks he is sooooo good that it does not matter where he goes to school enroute to the NBA. As we know at UK, all of our Mickey D players do not make it but we have a much better percentage of NBA players than Miss State do. TV time at UK is twenty times greater than that of Miss State. You want a lot of exposure and that is the one thing that they do not get a lot of basketball wise at Miss State. I hope he decides to come to UK, he looks like a really good player, one we could use. I keep wondering if that loss to Wisconsin did not cost us recruiting wise.

[ 04-23-2015, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 04-23-2015 03:25 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SCWC:
I keep wondering if that loss to Wisconsin did not cost us recruiting wise.

That's exactly what I keep thinking. Recruits might be thinking..."hmm having a dream team like that and they can't win the title"... [Eek!]
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-23-2015 06:49 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No doubt in my mind that other coaches are using that to sway them away from us.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-23-2015 07:22 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have no idea what tactics other coaches are using to sway players to their program.

However I'm pretty sure Cal is telling these same recruits that last year we were 38 and 0 at one time, went to the final four, had all sorts of media coverage for UK and their players and once again sent far more players to the NBA than any other program.

My guess is he would tell them about UK's tradition and the greatest fan base in college basketball. He might also mention not only has he had great success at UK but at two other universities as well. He might throw in about all the other great players he has coached and sent on to the NBA.

After telling them all that, if they want to go somewhere else because we lost a game in the semi-finals of the NCAA tournament, good luck to them.

[ 04-23-2015, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5400 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-23-2015 07:27 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If we would have won the title this year we could have named our recruits for at least the next 4 years. The good thing is there are plenty of good recruits left and we will get our fair share of them.

--------------------

WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 04-24-2015 06:52 AM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What Handy said.

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 840 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 04-24-2015 07:43 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some players want to be the star and play 35 to 40 minutes a game. That is why they go to other programs, instead of being on a team with other top talented players that will push them in practice, everyday. No big deal.

It seems that a few of you are worried about the roster for next season. This should be Mr Poythress year to shine. I feel he will average 15 a game. I am not worried about the roster.

I do think they need to get a small forward. If they don't, so what. They just won't be as deep as in the past. Other teams, including a few of Cal's teams have played using only 7 guys.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-24-2015 08:23 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Labissiere is going to be a star and one of the better Kentucky centers for Kentucky and is going to be a fan favorite.

--------------------

FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 04-24-2015 09:51 AM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I cant wait to see Labissiere either.... I watched the Signing Day special and they interviewed him...... Just like all of Cals recruits... seems like a genuinely good kid....

After the interview, the commentator asked the "guru" and for the life of me I cannot remember his name...... but the guru was asked.... Which Kentucky Player do you think Labissiere will be more like... WCS or Karl Towns..... and the guru answered... Anthony Davis!!!

This kid will be Special!1

--------------------
Pray for our Service Members and their families left behind!

Posts: 8880 | From: Lawrenceburg, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-24-2015 10:05 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just one comment about what we have to offer and what we don't. We have many things to offer a recruit except for playing close to home where friends and family can get to your games easy and this being the place someone in your family was connected with. Outside of that we offer as much or more than any other school in the country. We also demand that you earn your minutes, not get them for free just because you are the star of the team. If someone turns down a UK offer for one of those last reasons more power to them and hope you can promote yourself into the future career you are looking for.

If we don't get much else as far as new additions to the roster I see several guys playing close to a full game. Labissiere, Poythress, Ulis and Briscoe will be 30+ mins per game players. After that Lee and Willis will have to share the SF position with Lee also spelling Labissiere at the center. Matthews, Hawkins and Floreal will all get 10+ mins if they can play good enough defense. If they don't that means the other guys will be forced to play more mins.

We need Mulder and another big guy to help alleviate some of the mins these guys will be forced to play. This year we're going to need for all of these guys to play well enough to get some minutes, even in the tough games. I don't think we can play teams like UNC, KS, Lvlle, Mich St with 6 guys and expect to win most of them.

[ 04-24-2015, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-24-2015 10:31 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, a lot of folks on here, including myself, have wanted to see Willis and Hawkins get more playing time. Maybe it's time they put their big boy pants on and live up to their/our expectations.
Posts: 5400 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-24-2015 11:38 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Lee is going to be a very useful player. He isn't a big with a lot of scoring ability but with his defense, athleticism and rebounding ability will be a big asset to next years team and will get a lot more minutes off the bench. Here is a stat that shows how well he rebounded per minutes played against some of our better rebounders last season.

Lee-1 rebound per every 3.9 minutes
WCS-1 rebound per every 4.0 minutes played
Lyles 1 rebound per every 4.4 minutes played.

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-24-2015 05:21 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am thinking if we go big he will be starting. If we go small we may have 3 guards or wings starting with Labissiere and Poythress. This will definitely be a coming down for UK this year unless we get either Brown or Diallo. I'm pretty sure I won't be picking them to go undefeated. [Big Grin]
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-25-2015 10:04 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's hard to even imagine another Kentucky team having the number of talented players than this team had.

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-25-2015 10:54 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He'll be lucky to ever find that many kids with the right mind set to make another team like that.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com