TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Who do we put...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who do we put...
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 03-30-2015 09:00 AM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
on Sam Dekker? He's 6-9, this season he's 53% from the field, and 34% from beyond the arc. It's a tough matchup, truly. Lyles would be a logical choice, but his defense sometimes has been lacking. I would be half tempted to put Lee on him, since Marcus plays a high energy defense, but he's a liability on the other end of the court. This Dekker kid has been on fire of late...just wondering if you were Cal, how do you defend him?

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 03-30-2015 09:02 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KAT on Kaminsky and WCS on Dekker.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2259 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-30-2015 09:05 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'am with Ga Cat.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-30-2015 09:05 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe Cal will start with Willie on Decker, Towns on Kiminsky and Lyles on Hayes at the start of the game. Decker plays a lot on the perimeter and Willie is our best big perimeter defender. Containing Kiminsky will be the tough job. Decker is a tremendous player but he made three point shots Saturday that he would normally not even take. He was in a zone and played way over his head in that game. Lyles is capable of containing him and I expect to see him defending Decker quite a bit also.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
phillrose1
Player
Member # 2916

posted 03-30-2015 09:27 AM      Profile for phillrose1     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would expect to WCS and Lyles pulling duty on Decker most of the game. With that in mind I think Towns and Johnson will match up with Frank K most of the game. K only makes 1-2 3 point shots a game so I would let him shot those all day and only change my defensive strategy on him if he starts hitting a bunch of them. If he is going to play away from the basket and live by the jump shot I think that would be playing into our hands.

I think this game will evolve depending on how the refs call things. As long as they call things evenly both ways I believe we will win hands down. Wisc only pulled away from Arizona toward the end of the game and they were hitting almost every three they threw at the basket which I don't see happening again. Our biggest issue is that we show up to play and play hard. We seemed to be playing very nervous last game and didn't get in a rhythm until the last 6 minutes of the game.

--------------------
Being defeated is a temporary condition, giving up makes it permanent.

Posts: 84 | From: Va Beach | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-30-2015 09:39 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would love to see WCS smother Dekker. [Smile] But I don't think either Townes or Johnson can handle Kaminski. He moves too well for them. In fact, I might start Lee instead of Lyles and put Lee on Kaminski. Yes, we would lose Lyle's offense (at least when the first platoon in playing), but lee, when focused, could harass Kaminski to death. With both of their go-to guys pretty much limited, Townes and the Harrison twins could take us on a scoring spree.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-30-2015 10:29 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I tend to agree with most on using Willie on Dekker and Karl on Kaminsky. Not sure if our second team can handle them with Lee and Johnson.
Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-30-2015 12:21 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A lot of Lee's lack of playing time lately is because he has been getting totally lost on defense. I doubt that we will see Lee play a lot of minutes in this game. I see Cal playing his primary four guards, Harrison's, Ulis and Booker and primary four front line players of Willie, Kyle, Towns and Dakari. Lee will get some minutes if needed because of foul situations but he has not been playing well lately and his minutes have waned. I think he logged three minutes against Notre Dame.

Karl on Kaminsky scares me, if Karl gets into early foul trouble, that changes the whole complexion of the game.

[ 03-30-2015, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 03-30-2015 01:48 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GA Cat:

Exactly what I would do!
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 03-30-2015 01:59 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
AT THIS POINT IM NOT GOING TO WORRY WHO PLAYS ON WHO, IM JUST GOING TO ENJOY THE GAME.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-30-2015 02:41 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
G-B, I know you will enjoy the game but don't believe you won't worry on who plays who. [Wink]

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 03-30-2015 02:57 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I SAY U DO LIKE RUPP DID ON MARAVICH, TRY AND CONTAIN KAMINSKY, AND PLAY THE REST STRAIGHT UP.U NOT GONNA STOP KAMINSKY, JUST HOPE TO CONTAIN HIM.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 03-30-2015 03:01 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PERSONALLY I WOULD PLAY A MATCH UP ZONE AGAINST THEM. BUT THAT IS JUST ME.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 03-30-2015 03:44 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WCS on Dekker and rotate KAT, Johnson, and sprinkle in a little Lee against Kaminsky, But I have WCS dog Dekker from start to finish. I also make Kaminski work on defense right away, I'd go right at him early.

[ 03-30-2015, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: rupps runt65 ]

Posts: 860 | From: jacksonville, fl. u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-30-2015 03:49 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
rr, sprinkling Lee in has paid big dividends for the Cats all year. I really like Lee and this years experience is going to pay big dividends for him and the Cats in the future.

--------------------

CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 03-30-2015 03:53 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Green-Bean:
I SAY U DO LIKE RUPP DID ON MARAVICH, TRY AND CONTAIN KAMINSKY, AND PLAY THE REST STRAIGHT UP.U NOT GONNA STOP KAMINSKY, JUST HOPE TO CONTAIN HIM.

Can't do that with the way Dekker has been playing lately though. Frank is going to get his, I'd rather see Towns play straight up D, not so aggressive that he gets into foul trouble but just stay in the way of Kaminsky. Dekker is a different story. I'm afraid he's too quick for WCS.

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-30-2015 03:53 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
GB explain ur match up zone for me. tks

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-30-2015 04:09 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal has not used a match up zone since coming to UK that I can recall. I don't think he is about to start playing anything but his patented man to man defense which leads the nation in all defensive categories. You don't go changing your defense at this stage of the game from what got you to where you are to something else. Cal does not like to play zones and I would venture to say we have not seen more than 20 minutes of zone out of this team all season long.
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 03-30-2015 04:09 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Green-Bean:
PERSONALLY I WOULD PLAY A MATCH UP ZONE AGAINST THEM. BUT THAT IS JUST ME.

wisc, would shoot them out of the zone

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9787 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 03-30-2015 04:11 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would put wcs on kamanasky and lyles on decker and let kat patrol the lane.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9787 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 03-30-2015 04:15 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
JUST FORGET WHAT I SAID I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BASKETBALL. BUT I DO KNOW THIS WE HAVE NO ONE THAT CAN GUARD KAMINSKY, OR DEKKER STRAIGHT UP MAN TO MAN WITHOUT GETTING IN FOUL TROUBLE.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 03-30-2015 04:22 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukcatfannfl:
GB explain ur match up zone for me. tks

YOU ARE THE COACH EXPLAIN IT TO THE STUDENT, IM JUST A LAMEN.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-30-2015 04:32 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't be defensive GB - I was just curious how you saw it that's all.

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 03-30-2015 04:34 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think I'd put Lyles on Dekker. Whoever is on him will probably get in foul trouble, so maybe Lyles with help from WCS. I'd stick with Towns on Kaminski, but as we all know, Towns has had problems staying out of foul trouble. We need WCS to be near the lane for help with blocking shots, so I wouldn't want him way out front guarding Dekker unless we are specifically trying to not let him have a clear look from three.
Dakari J. is too slow to guard Kaminski away from the basket, and Kaminski would either shoot open threes, or drive past D. Johnson. That's when help from WCS is needed.
Wisconsin passes really good, so we can't afford to have two guys trying to block a Wisconsin shot just to have Wisconsin pass to open teammate for a layup. The guards need to rebound in this game better than they have been due to our bigs maybe out of position due to Kaminski's and Dekker's outside shot-making ability.
On the offensive end, if we can keep Towns out of foul trouble, we need to pound it in to him and make Kaminski and the rest of W's big men deal with it.

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 03-30-2015 04:50 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IMO I don't think WCS has any trouble staying with Dekker, he's covered guards in some moments this year, he has great lateral movement and can run with anyone plus Dekker isn't used to shooting over a seven footer

[ 03-30-2015, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: rupps runt65 ]

Posts: 860 | From: jacksonville, fl. u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 03-30-2015 07:18 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WELL THE WAY I SEE IT WE HAVE BEEN PUSHED TO THE MAX BY NOTRE DAME, THE REAL QUESTION HERE IMO, IS HOW IS WISCONSIN GONNA GUARD OUR GUYS? NOT HOW WE ARE GONNA GUARD THEM. WE LEAD THE COUNTRY IN DEFENSE, THAT ABOUT SAYS IT ALL TO ME.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-30-2015 07:27 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WE have the best defense in the nation. I think it will help our defense playing against players closer to their height. Notre Dame was a unique opponent for us, basically four guards who could all shoot the three point shot and take you off the dribble drive. I see no other team in the final four with the individual skills of Notre Dame.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-30-2015 07:58 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The worst thing that can happen is if KAT or WCS get in foul trouble. I hope the refs let them play and don't go crazy calling ticky-tack fouls on either side.

--------------------

rupps runt65
Player
Member # 1286

posted 03-30-2015 08:09 PM      Profile for rupps runt65   Email rupps runt65   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SCWC, I agree with what you said. We've had trouble with athletic quick guards, ND really worried me more than any other game. They are a really good team and had won 8 in a row I think against top notch competition. If WCS holds Dekker in check we'll be alright. BTW Booker us due a big game...
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 03-30-2015 08:09 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GA Cat:

KAT, WCS and Dakari can guard Kaminsky. WCS, Lyles and Lee will have to handle Decker. Im more worried about dribble penetration from the other guards and the pick and roll that has these guys closing out on Kaminsky and Decker, leading too defensive break downs where these two kill us.

If the twins, Ullis and Booker take care of business then these two will not beat us. Our guards must dictated the pace. Keep in mind Wisconsin has guys that can knock down shots but they are not nearly as good off the bounce as ND is. Grant is probably the best guard in the country. Wisconsin does not have a guy like him at all. ND's ability to penetrate at will was what put the pressure on us. Kaminsky and Decker are not going for 29 and 28 (Arizona game) against KAT, WCS, Dakari, Lyles and Lee.

Lastly our offense may be our best defense too. If we are hitting from the perimeter, scoring in transition, taking guys off the bounce, catching lobs and KAT is dominating Kaminsky in the post putting him in foul trouble, Wisconsin won't have a chance to get in a rhythm.

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 845 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 03-30-2015 08:33 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
rr, sprinkling Lee in has paid big dividends for the Cats all year. I really like Lee and this years experience is going to pay big dividends for him and the Cats in the future.

That's what I would do too. It seems like every time we put in Lee he does great things and then he get's yanked after about a minute or two. [Mad]
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-30-2015 09:25 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
bh, I have felt that Lee needs more time too but realize I don't get to see any of the practices like Cal and his coachs do. I would bet however Lee is going to see a "lot" of court time next season when KAT and WCS probably will be gone. I also think he will be in the gym all summer with Poythress and the rest of the team and he will be a animal next season.

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-30-2015 10:54 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't forget Labissiere and possibly Thon Maker. If we have those two I expect another two platoon season.
Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-31-2015 12:21 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We just seem to keep re-stocking and keep rolling along. It's hard to keep up with Cal and his recruiting. It's a good thing we have Bama as he is the recruiting guru of TCD.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com