TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Brey Calls ND America's team

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brey Calls ND America's team
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-27-2015 07:54 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From KSR:

Mike Brey stood in front of a room full of people with bald spots and notepads and said the Fighting Irish will have the entire country behind them tomorrow against Kentucky.

“We are America’s team tomorrow,” Brey told reporters. “There’s no question about it. Got some great texts. And we love it, we certainly will take all that support. We’ve got a monumental challenge on our hands.”

Brey said playing in the ACC, the best conference in America, prepared his team for the Wildcats.

“We’re the most efficient offensive team in the country. They’re the best defensive team in the country. I think it’s exciting to see how this thing plays out over 40 minutes.”

I know one nation that will be rooting against Brey’s team: the Big Blue Nation.

Let’s go Cats.

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 03-27-2015 08:19 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They're no more Americas team than the Dallas Cowboys are.

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-27-2015 08:43 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Brey's comment about America's team was arrogant to say the least.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-27-2015 08:46 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kentucky's team will beat "America's team". Write it down.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-27-2015 09:07 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am not a Mike Brey fan. He is a smart-ass and needs to get some come-uppance.

America' team. Sheesh. Let's see how many "American fans" he puts in the seats tomorrow.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13622 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-27-2015 09:50 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What's his reasoning on why they are America's team? A very arrogant statement to say the least.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
jerseycat
Player
Member # 9

posted 03-28-2015 10:29 AM      Profile for jerseycat   Email jerseycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought the proclamation was a little bush myself. Maybe he thinks his team is like the ND football team which at times has been called "America's Team"?

--------------------
UK Class of 1968

Posts: 1791 | From: Red Bank, NJ | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 03-28-2015 10:41 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NO THEY ARE CALLED GODS TEAM. THEM NOTRE DAME PEOPLE LIKE TO PROCLAIM THAT.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-28-2015 10:53 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jersey, what do you think their reasoning behind calling Notre Dame's football team "America's Team"? They sure as heck aren't my favorite team and I am American and would bet there are a vast majority of people more than me that feel the same way. IMO this is something concocted by "some" of the more ardent Notre Dame fans who don't have a lick of sense.

--------------------

jerseycat
Player
Member # 9

posted 03-28-2015 11:10 AM      Profile for jerseycat   Email jerseycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
catmandoo.....I think the major reason it's the fact that Catholics across the US from every state pull for ND, just because of the religion. I think the national TV contract and the no conference may play into it as well.

--------------------
UK Class of 1968

Posts: 1791 | From: Red Bank, NJ | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-28-2015 11:14 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think he is just drunk on Twitter-love. A few supportive tweets from over the country, and suddenly he is "America's team".

Hey, isn't "Brey" the sound that jackasses, er, I mean donkeys make? [Smile]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 03-28-2015 02:43 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
America loves a winner. Kentucky is more America's team than anyone else out there.

And yes, I am biased.

[ 03-28-2015, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 03-28-2015 02:52 PM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mike Brey IS drunk on Twitter love... All he said is that every KENTUCKY Hater in the country will be pulling for his Irish tonight.. and that is primarily duke, Louisville, Arizona, Wisconsin, Michigan St, Gonzaga and of course Bobby Knight and his Hoosier minions......

Because if his team wins..... They won't have to play KENTUCKY.

[ 03-28-2015, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: FlaCatz ]

--------------------
Pray for our Service Members and their families left behind!

Posts: 8880 | From: Lawrenceburg, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-28-2015 03:49 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Those Kentucky big TV ratings are not because everyone is against Kentucky, a lot of it is because we have a good fan base all over the country.
bigbluerev
Player
Member # 1633

posted 03-28-2015 03:56 PM      Profile for bigbluerev     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What do you expect? He worked for Coach Krybaby, the king of arrogance

--------------------
Personal Responsibility - stop looking to the government or anyone else to take care of you. www.GodMakesSense.com www.RefreshingRain.com

Posts: 1806 | From: Cold Spring, KY | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-28-2015 04:57 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am indeed a Catholic, and I have NEVER rooted for Notre Dame, unless of course, they are playing dook. I'd almost have to root for the Taliban, if they played dook.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-28-2015 05:02 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Brey was a assistant for Duke for 8 years starting in 1987-88.

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 03-28-2015 06:43 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Besides Notre Dame and BYU, are there any other prominent sports schools that are heavily identified by a certain religion?

By the way, I have never felt one way or the other about ND basketball.

The football team, who has been plastered on TV all these years and an independent, is what got in my craw. Nothing to do with religion, just felt like they received undeserved special treatment.

[ 03-28-2015, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-28-2015 06:55 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Duke is affiliated with the Methodist Church and Fordham University is Roman Catholic. Baylor is a Baptist affiliated University. Texas Christian is affiliated with Disciples of Christ Christian Church.

--------------------

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-28-2015 07:33 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Southern Methodist University might have a tie to a denomination... [Smile]

Kentucky Wesleyan, which had a tremendous run a couple of decades ago, might also be affiliated with a denomination. <scratching head...>

--------------------
Tiptree

WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 03-28-2015 07:35 PM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wesleyans are Methodist.
Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-28-2015 07:39 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe the tar heels are Muslim. Could be wrong about that.
Posts: 5400 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-28-2015 08:15 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Georgetown College is Baptist affiliated too!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123985 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-28-2015 08:25 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know if we can call a lot of these teams prominent like Boomdaddy posted.

--------------------

FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 03-28-2015 08:38 PM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I tend to believe that Big Blue Nation has a religious following in an of itself...

--------------------
Pray for our Service Members and their families left behind!

Posts: 8880 | From: Lawrenceburg, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-28-2015 08:44 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's some truth to that, Fla

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123985 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 03-29-2015 05:24 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UTAH IS A MORMON SCHOOL, I THINK HECK I COULD BE WRONG.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-29-2015 07:15 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Old Norm:
I am indeed a Catholic, and I have NEVER rooted for Notre Dame, unless of course, they are playing dook. I'd almost have to root for the Taliban, if they played dook.

LOL. There goes my orange juice out my nose.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-29-2015 07:18 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by handycat:
I believe the tar heels are Muslim. Could be wrong about that.

And there ithe Orange juice goes again.

handy, I'm pretty sure I just heard a laugh or snicker from Heaven on that one.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-29-2015 07:20 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boomdaddy:
Besides Notre Dame and BYU, are there any other prominent sports schools that are heavily identified by a certain religion?

By the way, I have never felt one way or the other about ND basketball.

The football team, who has been plastered on TV all these years and an independent, is what got in my craw. Nothing to do with religion, just felt like they received undeserved special treatment.

Boston College is a huge Catholic School and I believe Villanova is as well, but I may be wrong about Nova.

--------------------

redbone

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 03-29-2015 07:35 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Aren't all of the Big East basically Catholic schools?
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 03-29-2015 07:57 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, the current Big East is composed of the Catholic Schools that banded together to maintain the conference.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2255 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com