TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » WEST VIRGINA (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: WEST VIRGINA
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 02-24-2015 11:50 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IS MY DARK HORSE, THEY PLAY GREAT DEFENSE, AND PRESSURE DEFENSE AND THEY CAN SCORE, AND LIKE HIM OR NOT HUGGINS CAN COACH.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Posts: 2290 | From: Newport Ky. | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-25-2015 06:11 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but by the same token they beat a Texas team who has fallen completly out of the polls now!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123985 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-25-2015 06:27 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would think Rick Barnes would be on the hot seat at Texas after the performance of his team this season. He has a ton of talent, something is just not right with his team however and that usually gets back to coaching.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 02-25-2015 08:59 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THEY HAVE BEATEN MORE THAN TEXAS, AFTER ALL WE BEAT THAT SAME TEXAS TEAM.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-25-2015 01:02 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree about Bob Huggins coaching. He gave us the worst loss that I "ever" can remember a Kentucky team have. He totally out coached us and had a game plane that worked to perfection. Wall Cousins Bledsoe Patterson Miller Dodson and we get beat.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 02-25-2015 04:40 PM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HUGGINS FLAT OUTCOACHED CAL THAT NIGHT, CAL HAD NO CLUE HOW TO ATTACK A 1-3-1 ZONE. I WOULD HAVE ATTACKED IT AT THE FREE THROW LINE AND ON THE BASELINE.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-25-2015 05:02 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought if we pressed them full court we could break their will and change the flow of the game completely around.

If there ever was a game that we could have replayed that was the one. I would have bet my life on that game and it will bother me to my dying day.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-25-2015 05:49 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not ready to say Huggy Bear outcoached Cal on that night. WV just played out of their behinds - nobody would've beat them in that game. They were a 33% 3-point shooting team that got really hot. Two of our starters and our 6th man all fouled out. Darius Miller goes 0-6 from the floor. It was just one of those days.

This could be a separate post: where would you rank Calipari's first UK team among all of his UK teams? I'm not so sure I'd have them in the top 3.

Posts: 10343 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-25-2015 06:53 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WV did not shoot lights out from the 3 point line, 10-23.

[ 02-25-2015, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-25-2015 07:57 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We shot 4 for 32 from the behind the three point line against a one three one zone which WVU played all night long. We had such superiority inside but never used it in that game.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-25-2015 10:38 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ray it drove me nuts. At half time I thought here we go we will come out and pressure them with our superior athletic talent and nothing happened and we did not do one thing different.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-25-2015 10:40 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
By far the most disappointing game I ever watched in my life.

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-25-2015 10:56 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not even close to the worse game ever. That was in 84 when we lost to Georgetown in the final semis.
Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-25-2015 11:46 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember the game and neither team could hit the broadside of a barn. We played so bad for the talent we had. Georgetown had a lot of talent too. We just played terrible down the stretch.

I think the Wall-Cousins-Bledsoe team was so much better than West Virginia that it wasn't even close.

--------------------

Green-Bean
Player
Member # 13551

posted 02-26-2015 03:36 AM      Profile for Green-Bean   Email Green-Bean   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WALL JUST LET THAT LITTLE WV GUARD DRIVE RIGHT BY HIM ALL NIGHT.

--------------------
I was Born A Wildcat!
That's All I'll Ever Be!

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-26-2015 07:52 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Bama that the 84 loss to Georgetown was awful, but to me loss to puke in 92 was the worst I have ever felt after a UK loss.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-26-2015 08:06 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
WV did not shoot lights out from the 3 point line, 10-23.

CMD, I'll take 10-23 eight days a week. If our current team makes 10 threes in a game, we'll beat any team on this planet by double digits.

The worst loss for me will always be the Dook loss on the Laettner buzzer-beater.

[ 02-26-2015, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10343 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-26-2015 09:37 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The loss to Texas Western back in 1966 was the worst loss I ever endeared. All mentioned in this thread have been bad but the Runts loss hurt the most and we are constantly reminded of it by the media.
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-26-2015 09:40 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here are Tiptree's "most painful UK memories":

The '84 Georgetown meltdown. Shooting 9% from the field in the second half was painful, and made more so by the fact that I knew some of those guys.

The loss to Duke in '92. The pain of that loss was deep, but the pride in that team was deeper.

The 2003 loss to Crean-coached Marquette. That UK team was awesome, and had Bogans not turned his ankle, we could have held Dwayne Wade in check and probably won Tubby's second NC that year.

The WV loss in 2010 completes my "Worst losses as a UK fan" list

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13623 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-26-2015 09:53 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip how about the loss to Mich St I believe in the elite 8 when we were up 19-5 early and then got man handled the rest of the game. Can't remember the year but remember the game!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-26-2015 09:59 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed, could that have been the Austin Regional in 2005, we lost in double overtime to Michigan State with the team of Rondo, Sparks, Morris etc? I was at that game but can't remember how it started out. Ramal Bradley got wiped out by a Michigan State player and his loss really hurt us in overtime if that is the game.

The starting five for that team was Azibuke, Hayes, Morris, Sparks and Rondo.

[ 02-26-2015, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-26-2015 10:14 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember that one too. It would likely be number five on my list. I was at a party at a friend's house and kept slipping into his bedroom to watch the game. [Smile]

We came that close -- one rebound -- from winning that one.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13623 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-26-2015 10:16 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed, here is a write up of that game:

As in time past, the two schools would go their own ways until meeting in the NCAA Regional Finals. In 1999, Kentucky was the defending national champions and were coming off three-consecutive championship game appearances. The 98-99 squad had lost many of the key players who had helped them to the title the previous year, however winning experience in the tournament was a rare commodity and eighth-ranked UK could not be overlooked for that reason. The team was led by veterans Wayne Turner, Scott Padgett and Heshimu Evans. The head coach was Orland "Tubby" Smith, who was in his second year with the school after head coaching stints at Tulsa and Georgia.

Second-ranked Michigan State was an up-and-coming program being guided by a former Heathcote assistant, Tom Izzo. Izzo had taken over the position when Heathcote retired in 1995 and was in the midst of putting together a powerhouse, in large part based on successfully recruiting the type of rich in-state talent which previously went to the University of Michigan and other Big Ten powers. The team was led by two All-American caliber players from the nearby basketball hotbed of Flint Michigan, point guard Mateen Cleaves and forward Morris Peterson. The program was also seeing renewed interest due to the opening of the Breslin Center in 1989, which replaced venerable Jenison Fieldhouse, a move which was long overdue.

The game proved a classic, with Kentucky running out to a 17-4 lead, largely due to 12 points by Heshimu Evans, the UK spark plug. But MSU climbed back into the game and closed the UK lead to one at halftime as Cleaves hit a 3-point heave just before the buzzer sounded. The second half saw the two teams remain close until Michigan State took the lead with just over seven minutes remaining. MSU was able to pull ahead by six points at a time when Kentucky had trouble finding the range. Evans, who had played a major role in the first half, experienced serious foul trouble and was shut out of the scoring column in the second half.

The Spartans received some clutch long-range assistance from reserve forward A.J. Granger (who hit 14 points on 3-3 three-point shooting) to go along with 19 points and 10 rebounds from Peterson, 14 points from Andre Hutson and 10 points and 11 assists from Cleaves. Peterson hit six free throws down the stretch to keep the Spartans in the lead and to withstand a flurry of late three-pointers from Wildcat Scott Padgett. The scoring leaders for UK were Evans and freshman forward Tayshaun Prince while Padgett added 11 points.

[ 02-26-2015, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-26-2015 10:18 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is the box score that I found...

Box Score Link

[ 02-26-2015, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-26-2015 11:22 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bruce, I remembered the 2005 game between us and Michigan State, overlooked the one you found.

BTW, the box score link is to the 1978 National Championship game.

[ 02-26-2015, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 02-26-2015 11:43 AM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On the bright side, lets not forget we beat West Virginia in 2011 at the NCAA east regional third round 71-63. [Wink]
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-26-2015 01:17 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ray, I got it right this time, check it out. [Smile]

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-26-2015 01:18 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that was a little pay back!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-26-2015 01:42 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
blue hoot, here is the box score of the West Virginia game where we won and Knight scored 30 big ones!

Box Score Link

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-26-2015 02:19 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KNIGHT'S ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE PLAYERS WHOSE MAKING GOOD FOR HIMSELF NOW!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-26-2015 02:51 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This season Brandon is making 3.554 Million!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-26-2015 10:10 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm making a percentage of that

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-26-2015 11:30 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My government check I get is a tad bit lower than what Brandon is making.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-27-2015 06:05 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would settle for the .554 million

--------------------

blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 02-27-2015 10:41 AM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
blue hoot, here is the box score of the West Virginia game where we won and Knight scored 30 big ones!

Box Score Link

Thanks catmandoo! Forgot Brandon had a huge game!
Posts: 1497 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-27-2015 02:39 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
blue, Brandon was a special Cat and he pretty much carried the 11-12 with help from Jones, Miller and Lamb. They were a fun team to watch that's for sure.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-27-2015 07:35 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Knight didn't play on that 2012 team. HE went pro right after his freshman year!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-27-2015 11:41 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He did play with Lamb Miller and Jones but it was the 11 team.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-28-2015 08:40 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's right!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-28-2015 10:06 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was a very good team too!

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com