TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Calipari says UK’s success this season has people too scared to support two-year rule

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calipari says UK’s success this season has people too scared to support two-year rule
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 02-24-2015 07:14 PM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
John Calipari was on Sirius XM College Sports this afternoon, and of course, at some point, the conversation turned to the one-and-done rule. Several conferences have discussed bringing back the freshmen ineligibility rule, and Cal says go right ahead.

“If any league wants to do that, I would recommend they do it. The Big 10 or the Big 12 or whoever. If they think freshmen should be ineligible and they feel strongly and truly believe it is the best thing, then make your league have ineligible freshmen.” If those conferences do it and the SEC doesn’t, it makes recruiting that much easier, right?

Cal also explains why he’s not a fan of the baseball rule, in which kids can either go pro right out of high school or stay in college a minimum of three years. Cal again advocates changing the rule to a two-year college minimum, which he explains will give kids enough time to work on their education; however, he said he’s starting to hear some criticism for the suggestion, and he thinks he knows why.

“Now, this looks like, well, why wouldn’t everyone be for it?,” Cal said. “Because they’re looking at my team and saying ‘if Cal has that kind of team because guys come back, they have to go for two years, we don’t want that.'”

Haters. Listen to the entire segment below:

Link

Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 02-24-2015 07:15 PM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Personally I think the 1 year rule is hurting college ball and really hurting the NBA. Allowing guys to go straight from high school to pro hurts both college and pro worse than the current rule. Switching to a 2 year rule helps both college and pro compared to current system. I hope they get it done.
Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-24-2015 07:30 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with the 2 year rule as it makes more players come back and get their education if the basketball route doesn't pan out.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-24-2015 09:19 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
By the time the second year is over a lot of these kids are only a year away from their diploma. The attend summer school and take winter classes as well!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123983 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-24-2015 10:24 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is good to hear but I'm sure it isn't always the case but with all the help the athletes get I am sure they get a lot of benefits the normal student wouldn't get.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-25-2015 05:51 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
YEah, if I wanted a tutor in college I had to go out and pay for one!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-25-2015 01:14 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a grandson that is a senior at UK and he says he sees the players in the library often. It's good to know that they take their studies seriously.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-25-2015 05:43 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd say with the coach they have, they don't have a choice. He probably has the deans of each of these colleges on speed dial.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com